A Week of Happiness | Teen Ink

A Week of Happiness

October 27, 2012
By Ellie McAdams GOLD, Billingham, Other
Ellie McAdams GOLD, Billingham, Other
13 articles 0 photos 29 comments

There are many things that I knew that I would never get the chance to do, including to love someone and to be loved. I never knew love, until I met one amazing boy, who changed my life, forever. His name was Jacob. Our story may be short, but I’m going to tell it to you anyway. This is our story. This is how I lived, loved, and died…
I leaned my forehead against the ice cold window and watched the rain slither down the glass. I closed my eyes and dreamed that I was out there; I could almost feel the rain on my skin.
When I opened my eyes again, I took in the full view. It was a small street, with white picket fences and perfectly mowed glass. Nothing looked out of place. It was the type of perfect little neighborhood where anyone to love to live. This was everyone’s perfect view, everyone’s except mine. My view was scarred by the rusty old bars that covered my window, which made my room my own personal prison. No one even knew I was here.
I heard the footsteps coming up the stairs and a small gasp escaped from my lips. I jumped up in fright and backed up into the corner, my eyes locked on the door. The footsteps became louder as the small chink of light disappeared from under my door. I held my breath as it opened. The dark figure cast a shadow over me and I began to shake with terror.
"No... please." I would scream if I knew that it would do any good, but it would just make him angry.
"Shut up!" His deep hoarse voice sent more shivers through my body. I closed my eyes.
***
He left me there to cry. I curled myself into a ball, hugging my bruised body. Sobs ripped through me. It felt like they were about to tear me apart. Once I was sure that it was safe to let go, I uncurled myself and dragged myself back over to the window.
It was exactly the same view that it had been only an hour ago, but something had changed. I started to wonder how many secrets that this lovely little street held. How many others were suffering? Then I noticed the boy standing there. It wasn't until I looked closer that I realized that he was staring straight up at me. I panicked and stared to back away, but I paused for a moment.
He was making movement with his hands at me. It looked like he was asking me to open something. He meant the window. I shook my head. He then put his hand to his ear and made a phone gesture. I shook my head again.
He looked disappointed. He stuck his hands in his pockets and walked off. I stared a that corner long after he was gone.
***
A bowl of soup and some bread were shoved through the door. I scrambled off my bed and drank it in one gulp. It still didn't seem to fill the large hole that is permanently in my stomach. I scoffed down the bread and walked back over to the window.
The boy was there again. I squinted at him and he smiled. He had long chocolate brown hair and what it looked like blue eyes. He looked quite tall in his skinny jeans and hoody. He was making waving movements again. He wanted me to come out. I sighed and shook my head. I watched as his smile disappeared. He started mouthing something at me. I couldn't understand what he was trying to say to me. I wanted to talk to him so badly.
“One minute.” I mouthed the words at him and held up my finger. He seemed to understand. I ducked under my window and searched through the dust bunnies. I grinned as I found the key to my window. My father must have dropped it. I eyed up the bars and decided that I was probably skinny enough to slip through them. I turned my key in the lock and tried to push the window open. It didn't budge. I shook it slightly and gave it one last shove. It flew open and crashed against the bars. I flinched and held still for a long time. I listened hard for the footsteps, but they never came. I dropped hard onto the ground.
“Are you grounded or something?” He was stood over me and offered a hand up. I smiled and took it.
“Um… yeah, something like that. I’m Katie.” I so hope this isn't going to be awkward. I've got to remember not to act desperate. To him, I’m just going to be an average teenage girl. I have to be normal.
“I’m Jacob. I see you by that window almost every day.” He looked around a little embarrassed. “Um… do you want to go into town or something?”
“Okay, but I've got to warn you that I have no money.” He laughed and took my hand. I jumped slightly at the shock of it. No one ever really touches me like that. It feels nice, really nice.
We walked together. He seemed like a perfect match for me. I didn't know too much about music and Facebook. I was relieved when he said he didn't like them much. He talked much more than I did, but I was happy to listen. He told me about his family, his dog called Charlie, school, his friends, everything. He was really funny and sweet and I didn't want him to stop talking, but then it grew dark and I got worried. Has my father noticed my disappearance yet?
He walked me back home, hand in hand. It felt like I’d always known him, like we were old friends that had been reunited after many years. I smiled at him as I stood in front of the gate to my house. He was so close to me that I could smell the bubble-gum on his breath. He closed the gap between us by wrapping his arms around me. I rested my hands on his chest as he kissed me. He pulled away too quickly for me.
“Sorry, that was rude.” He was blushing slightly. I leaned back in for another kiss and I felt him smile under my lips.
“I've got to go.” I climbed up the ivory. I looked back down at him and grinned. “By the way, you’re welcome to come and kiss me anytime.” I watched as his cheeks grew red one more time as he waved up at me and disappeared around the corner. I climbed back through the window. I quickly hid my key under my mattress. I hope that Jacob will come back. I was the first time I have ever went to sleep at night with a smile on my face.
***
Jacob did come back, every day. He took me everywhere and still managed to get me home before it got dark. He was the first person to ever touch me without hurting me, to compliment me and make me feel like someone important, someone special. I did what I never thought I would do and I fell in love with him. It only lasted one week before my father caught us. My week of happiness was over.
“Katie! Get back inside now.” He grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me away from Jacob. I screamed and struggled. I wasn't going to go back. I wasn't going to lose Jacob. I couldn't. I heard him yell as my father elbowed him in the face. I saw him drop to the floor and screamed even more. My father dragged me back into the house and up the stairs. I fought tooth and nail to get away, but he was too strong for me. I was so scared. He always threatened me never to try and leave the house or he would…
***
I no longer felt the pain. I no longer feel the cuts or the bruises. I felt almost at peace. I opened my eyes and saw that I was lying in my bed in my room. I sat up and felt strangely light and a little dizzy. I was confused and muddled. I couldn't quite remember just how I got here. I stood up to go to the window and saw police cars. I looked back to my bed and screamed. Blood covered the walls and sheets and in the middle of the bed was my body. I screamed.
***
Years later the witnesses would still swear that they heard the scream of a girl who was already dead. It would haunt them for the rest of their lives. Jacob never got over Katie’s death. He felt like it was his fault. He had seen the bruises, but never asked about them. He should have tried to stop her father but he was weak and couldn't save her.
Katie’s father had a mysterious life in prison. He couldn't sleep after the day he killed his daughter and he said that he could see her, she haunted him. He would scream and cry at night about the terrible things he had done. The other prisoners would hear him yell his apologies. Everyone thought he had gone crazy, until they had found him murdered with no evidence. On the wall, painted with blood, was written “I have had my revenge. My father is dead and he deserved to die.”