Let’s Go Sailing | Teen Ink

Let’s Go Sailing

March 29, 2013
By Bay_Renee SILVER, Brinkhaven, Ohio
Bay_Renee SILVER, Brinkhaven, Ohio
7 articles 2 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Kites rise the highest when going against the wind."
-Winston Churchill


I look out over the sea, chuckling as Luke perches himself up on the railing of the pier. His nearly black hair is windblown and wisped across his face, barely showing his hazel eyes that sparkle in the sun.
“You’re going to fall,” I say, folding my hands and watching a sailboat in the distance as it glides over the blue water.
“I’m not,” He declares, not really hanging onto the wood rail as he watches me intently. “People do this all the time and never fall, Leslie.”
I roll my eyes and laugh. It’s a beautiful day and the sun is relentlessly hot. I can almost feel my skin burning in the heat.
“Let’s go sailing.” I suggest, watching him as he confidently tilts his head back and looks up at the sky. “It’s a perfect day for it.”
He nods, but doesn’t seem to hear me.
I grin and shrug, turning around and walking away from him. Considering I’ve known Luke my whole life, I’ve come to realize he’ll fallow me. He’ll run up and grab hold of my hand, lacing my fingers through his with a smile.
But instead, I hear a cry, followed by a splash. I turn, bolt to the pier railing and lean over, looking down into the rippling portion of sea.
“Luke!” I yell frantically.
His bobbing head appears like a buoy and he looks up at me, spitting out a mouthful of saltwater. “Meet you at the boat docks. Sailing sounds nice.”