What makes the sun shine mommy? | Teen Ink

What makes the sun shine mommy?

By Superhero_Fan SILVER, Tomorrowland, California
Superhero_Fan SILVER, Tomorrowland, California

"Impossible; for How many people did you know who refracted your own light to you?” - Fahrenheit 451

"Mommy?"
"Yes, Anna?"
"What makes the sun shine?"
"It's a big ball of fire."
"Who lit the fire mommy?"
"No one lit it Anna, it just burns."
"But isn't it cold up in the sky mommy?"
"Yes Anna it is."
"Then why doesn't the fire go out?"
"I don't know Anna."
Anna seemed satisfied with this answer.

"Mommy, what makes the moon shine?"

I wrote this for a laugh. My little sister inspired the 'mommy mommy mommy' part! Sorry this isn't long, but it didn't feel right putting it in the poetry section. Feel free to give your honest opinion in the comments.

Thanks Liv! :) I'm glad you liked it. And I think you're the first to stalk my profile. :P I appreciate that you would've given it an editors choice though! Thank you for reading it.

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Hey Hero! First off let me just say, cuz i stalked ur profile, that i love Kickin' It also and i looooobe Leo Howard, i wanna take martial arts so bad. I also love Suite Life on Deck and all those other shows. Especially American Ninja Warrior! As for your amazing piece. I love it! I think its creative and cute and relate able! I would have given u an editors choice for this !! Anywho. Keep rockin hero :)

Okay. :) Actually, that never crossed my mind. But that would be kinda fun rewriting it! Thanks for the writing prompt, Batman!

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

It's more of a short story. I think you should add some crazy descriptive imagery to make it better and a little longer. What does the little girl look like? How does the mother react to her questions? Does she sigh a lot? Is she busy trying to pay bills? What are they doing? Set the scence. You could totally turn this into something great instead of being just good! :)

Haha, thanks Nelehjr. :) I'm still not sure it should've gone in the short-story section though. I've seen poetry longer than this! Thanks for reading it. ^_^

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Rather simple. Rather funny. I rather like.