What's the Dream | Teen Ink

What's the Dream

October 9, 2013
By kreed16 BRONZE, New Bremen, Ohio
kreed16 BRONZE, New Bremen, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The world started to shrink as my little Honda shot through the fog that denied my headlights from any visibility of the smooth road that sat ahead of me. I felt trapped, suffocated, by the enclosing white wall that constricts my vision. The dark figures lurk in the fog, motionless, flying by as I can’t make out the real definition. My mind started to run, racing me and I couldn’t keep up. Overthinking every little bump or object I thought I saw. I became unfocused; almost losing control here and there, but my little car didn’t want to leave the road. The roads were unfamiliar to me speaking there was a translucent cage around me. The road started to get rough, so I though about turning around. but something drove me forward.

I felt the wheels drop heavy under my car as they rose off the sturdy road that disappeared from underneath me. I waited, but the comforting black trail that kept my car safe on the ground vanished. Lost and confused, I had no reaction. If it weren’t for my seat belt, I would be floating weightlessly like an astronaut in a space shuttle. I remember hearing my phone vibrate softly by my ear as it floated to the ceiling. The world moved in slow motion as the innocent fog took a bite; then swallowed me whole. My car sliced a tunnel in the fog as it fell. I was expecting a big crash when I made the connection again with the ground, but when I hit; my soul was flung from my body. I never felt the metal crunching smash of my new car in the dirt of the valley, nor did I feel the mass head ache that rush through my skull when it hit the steering wheel.

I floated there, Dead? I couldn’t be dead I see myself breathing. I could see the damage done to the car and myself. I didn’t know what was happening. Am I dreaming, unconscious?
* * *
My eyes flickered open when I awoke in a cold sweat. I looked around, expecting company. Then I realized it was just the same dream that haunts me. I sat up in my on my elbows and glanced around the room. It was still the middle of the night. I was weak and dreary. I sat there in silence, breathing slowly, and thinking. I would always think about that dream and how it went. It was always a very vivid dream and seemed very real. Every little detail fit perfectly, like it was meant to be. I caught myself staring out into the silky black for a good twenty minutes or so. Finally shaking my head out of a daze, I laid back on my bed. I arranged myself in my special spot. I looked down at my lifeless legs disgusted.

I picked up a slip of newspaper that sat on my chair and studied the picture. Then it came to me, I remembered. I lay in bed, scared of sleep. Fearful of the dream, that dreaded dream that haunts my past memories. That dream is like a DVD and I am the DVD player, rewinding the scary movie over and over again. I lost myself, my eyes started to droop; my heart beat slowed, and the real world faded in and out.

The world started to shrink as my little Honda shot through the fog… I felt the wheels drop heavy under my car… my car hit the dirt… and the dream never ended.