Doors | Teen Ink

Doors

January 4, 2014
By oliviahm BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
oliviahm BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Lexa
Just like that, life can end. No one expects it; no one understands why, but it does. And sometimes, I just wish that it would be over for me. I’m not doing anyone any good in this town anyways. So I ask myself this question everyday, “Why do I keep on living when honestly I could care less about these people, this place, and life in general?” And because I’m still alive, you would assume that I answered the question. But quite frankly all I do is say, “Whatever. Something might happen eventually that gets me excited about life.” Then I just start my day. So I did the same thing this morning. Why should this day be any different?
****

Exhausted from the walk over, I pulled open the door to The Golden Arch Diner. My 14 year old sister, Becca, trailed behind me doing who knows what. Although our pathetic little house was only 2 miles away from the town (or should I say one block that is trying to be a town but in actuality is really a worn out dump), the morning sun was shining, forcing its heat upon anything and everything. I made my way over to our customary table with the window overlooking the rundown library. Becca plopped down in the booth across from me. “So I was thinking that tonight we could..”
“No.” I said cutting her off. “I have plans.”
“But we never get to do anything together anymore. We used to all the time!” she whined. Then she gave a look that said PLEASE I’M SO PATHETIC THAT YOU JUST HAVE TO SAY YES.
“Maybe some other night.” I said. I mean sure I felt bad, but what could I do? If I’m busy, I’m busy. Sammy our usual waitress came over, and that was the end of the conversation.
“Hello girls!” she chirped. “How are you today? How is the family?” We responded with the conventional answer. I tried my best to put on a quality fake smile, because I actually liked Sammy. She was the only one who understood me. It’s not like she chose to be stuck in this town. It’s like life grabbed her by her black ponytail and pinned her down. The only difference for me is that I still have a little bit of time to figure out how I am going to break free from this town’s hold. I only wish I had more time.

****
Becca
I glanced at my watch. I frowned seeing that it read 3:00pm. The coolness of the forest surrounded me and I really didn’t want to leave. But I had too. There were still some chores to do, and it probably was going to get dark soon. I stood up and began my trek back through the woods. I arrived at my homestead about a half hour later. The neighbors’ horses nickered when they saw me appear in the field behind our houses. I smiled as I pulled open the back door to our cute little home. As I walked in, Lexa pushed passed screaming “Bye!” to, I would assume, my parents. The screen door slammed behind her, rattling on it’s hinges. It’s weird that this seems so normal, I thought to myself. I walked through the kitchen to the living room. Dad and mom sat together on the couch, seeming annoyed (most likely at Lexa), also as usual. I ran up the steps, turned and walked into my room. The warm yellow walls provided me some relief from the tension downstairs. I worked on my homework for about an hour and then decided to head back to the floor below.
“Want some help with dinner?” I asked, stepping into the kitchen.
“That would be great.” Mom replied, looking appreciative. I mixed a salad, as she took the chicken out of the oven.
“So where is Lexa?” I questioned, afraid to hear the answer.
“Some party, I guess.” She sighed, her voice weary and tired. Her face worn to a point that made her look so much older than she actually was. I sighed too. Why does Lexa always have to leave us?
****
Lexa
I ran out of Annie’s front door into pitch blackness. I had no idea what time it was, but it seemed late enough. Probably around midnight. I had promised my parents I would be home by now. So yeah, late enough. I walked up to my friend Kat who sat out by the bonfire with Cleo and some guy who I didn’t know nor cared to know. “There are so many people here!” exclaimed a drunken Cleo. “It’s a greeeaaaattt paarrrtty!” Her voice was so high and squeaky, and ordinarily bothered me. But at this point, I could care less. However, it was when I tried to sit in a folding chair next to Kat and missed that I realized, yes I’ve had enough, and yes I should go home.
“I’m going to go home now!” I called out loudly to the people sitting next to me. “Anyone want a ride?” About 15 minutes later, Random Guy, Kat, Cleo, and Jessica all sat in my car as we made our way down the main road heading away from the town.
“This is great!” Kat yelled out the window. I laughed. It was probably the only good night I’ve had in awhile. Everyone else seemed to think it was great too. As I listened to Jessica and Cleo harmonize along to the typical pop song on the radio, I felt a twinge of guilt. I had chosen a random guy over my sister. I sighed, brushed it off and joined into the song. And then out of nowhere, an SUV made it’s way down the road toward us and……..
****
Becca

When my mom got the call, her face turned blank and lost all color. My dad and I turned from our position on the couch, silently staring at her. The only sound was the sound of the phone leaving her hands and hitting the tiled kitchen floor. My dad seemed to just know, as his face turned the same expressions as my mom’s, blank, empty, colorless. They both looked...dead. It took me a second, and then I realized…………
****
I pulled open the door to The Golden Arch Diner. It seemed heavier than it used to be. I made my way to my customary table with the window overlooking the rundown library. My worn, old body appreciated the rest. Behind the library, I can see the park. My daughter is there, playing with my two grandkids. I flashed back to Lexa and me at that age. I was always so innocent. I was that perfect, goodie two shoes kind of girl. Lexa on the other hand, was not. She never was. She never quite fit in with her rebellious spirit. For her, it was like every time she opened a new door, it got closed behind her again. When I look back on my life, I think, wow, its been great. But this kind of life, it would not have been good enough for Lexa. Never. She would have felt trapped, like Sammy was, cleaning up other peoples messes everyday. Like my mom and dad were, living out their lives in a really small town, and how I still am. Even though I’m stuck, I’m happy, because I made the best of my life. But Lexa would have hated every moment of every day for the rest of her life. She was free. She got out. It was like a gift for her. Every single day I miss her, but I know she is happier now than she ever would have been. And if I believe that, then I can keep going and make it through, because I know that someday soon, I will be with her.