Caleb's Story | Teen Ink

Caleb's Story

March 26, 2014
By Anonymous

Caleb was just ten years old when his world got flipped upside down. His parents couldn’t handle being together any longer; it was all too much. His dad, Jack, was abusive. He hit his wife, Jill, and their three kids. Caleb’s brother and sister became lost; always wandering around in their own worlds. However, Caleb was facing reality. He was taking it all head on.

Jill had to get out, there had to be something better for her and the kids out there. She filed for a divorce. The man she had been in love with for years would hopefully become a stranger to her, someone she once knew. They moved to the other side of town in a house where the three of them could start all over.

Many years went by, things were going well. Then, they started taking a turn for the worse once Caleb got to seventh grade. Everything changed inside of him. He became an all new boy. He was no longer that sweet little kid playing in the mud and singing silly songs that he once was. His heart and mind became dark. When he picked up a pencil, his drawings became evil almost. He drew bony hands coming out of the darkness to things on fire; his drawings portrayed destruction. Caleb was made fun of by everyone. He turned to drugs to help him in this time of need. His friend, Hunt, got into drugs as well. It was the easiest way out for them. They both had family issues and were outcasts. The drugs gave them the high they needed to escape. Before he knew it, Caleb’s grades started to quickly plummet. His mom would constantly nag him for it. Telling him he was worthless and that she wished she had had a different child. It took a toll on him quickly.

One day especially, things got bad. He came home from school a mess; he was grounded for his grades, and his mom started yelling at him once again. Caleb sat and listened to every word with an empty and numb mind. He couldn’t feel a single thing inside. His mom finally gave up on him and went to her room. Before Caleb knew it, he was crying tears he couldn’t stop. Then, he got an idea that would forever change everything around him and affect everyone he loved - he began to question the dark depths of suicide. The thought wouldn’t go away. It seemed like the only possible way to fix things in his life. It seemed like the clear answer.
Many hours later, Jill came into Caleb’s room to tell him to work on things for school to find him passed out on the floor laying in his own vomit. There on the floor, lying next to Caleb was a empty bottle of pain killers. He had downed them all from the time he had went to his room just a few hours ago. She couldn’t believe what she saw. Jill went into shrill screams and hysteria. Caleb had always seemed like a fairly happy child in her eyes. Sure, he was down sometimes, but who isn’t? Suddenly, everything came rushing back at once, his failing grades, the divorce, all of it. She shouldn't have been so hard on him. If Caleb could’ve been able to reach out to somebody, them maybe it would’ve all been different right now. He wasn’t as alone as he thought he was. No one is.


The author's comments:
This isn't meant to promote suicide, it's meant to prove people do care in the end and you're not alone.