Fortuity | Teen Ink

Fortuity

By Chasem BRONZE, Melbourne Beach, Florida
Chasem BRONZE, Melbourne Beach, Florida

Saad sat up straight as a surge of of nausea hit him. Red chunky glops involuntarily spewed out. The small clay hut reeked of spoiled wine and stomach acid. Saad's head throbbed as his eyes were hit with bright rays of the sun. He slowly got up, changed robes and rebound his turban. He reached for his purse finding it dry. That explained the surplus of empty wine vessels among the floor. He put on his sandals and meandered outside. Around his hut was a desolate desert with waves of heat rising from the sand. He sighed, rubbing his scraggly beard and set out to the nearby city of Bussorah.

It is around the year 100 in the Middle East near the Red sea.

Saad reached the grand trading plaza of Bussorah by midday. It was a sight that never got old for Saad. Merchants from hundreds of leagues away displayed magnificent treasures with ivory carvings, extravagant pelts of the softest beasts, and rich tea from Asia. Best of all were the jewels and minerals. Sacks full of bright amethyst, rubies as big as a thumb, lustrous silver, and glimmering gold by the camel load.

Saad strained his eyes to see his good merchant friend, Sulei. He pushed his way through the packed crowd till he came to Sulei's kiosk in the corner of the market. He hadn't seen the Sulei for awhile, now an old man he had a long gray beard and skin like a dried date. Sulei was overjoyed to see Saad offering him wine and insisting he take a seat. Sulei retold his great quests and recent possessions. However Saad was distracted by his nervousness as his real reason for coming here was to request a loan. When the time seemed right Saad stammered “ C-could you loan me a few g-gold coins?” Sulei sighed heavily. “Look I know your going through a lot with the loss of your parents but a man has to work for his living, tell you what, I got a ship leaving in two days come along and I could use the help.” Saad knew well he was frightened by the thought of leaving the solid ground but he agreed out of disparity. He drudged home and cooked a meager meal with what naan was left. He stared at the steaming coals of his oven wondering what lay before him.

Saad stood on a tall boulder the beach breeze blasting his face. His sweat dampened clothes dried in the wind and warm sunlight. He inhaled the refreshing air and made his way to the bustling docks. The dense miasma of dead sea life snuffed out Saad's nose and mind. People were milling about looking for rides or products. Men loaded the bales of goods on and off the merchant ships. Towards the end of the jetty Saad encountered Sulei standing high on a ship shouting orders here and there. He saw Saad and immediately ordered him to move a massive barrel of wine rations. Saad struggled to get a grip around the massive barrel and slowly hoisted the wine up the ship ramp. Every muscle in his body quaked and strained. He dropped the barrel on the deck and wiped the sweat of his forehead. It was going to be a long day.

After many more jarring goods loaded the ship was untied from the dock and whisked out to sea by the wind. Saad felt nauseous as the land slipped away to a small slit in the horizon. The waves rocked the boat side to side making maneuvering difficult. Saad was assigned to the lookout on top of the ship to his relief. He secretly filled his water vessel full of the sips finest wine. His struggled to shimmy up the mast with the rocking of the ship and his heavy load. He slowly made it to the lookout deck which in reality was just a thin board to sit on. He sat long through the evening listening to the creaking of the ship and the crashing of the waves. He would hardly recall the small strip of land to the west. As the sun dropped below the horizon Saad continued to consume massive amounts of wine til his 3 liter bag was almost empty. He felt delirious and like he was floating. Saad stood up clutching the mast, as the wind caught him. Suddenly he realized that with the wind's aid he could fly! With glee he jumped frantically flapping his arms, and plunged into the ocean. He choked on water, confused and began yelling drunkenly for help but the sea carried him farther and farther from the ship.

It would have seemed as if everyone on the ship had retired for the night however as Saad struggled against the current a small torch on the transom lit up an old face. He grinned sickly, Saad was eliminated.

Saad, now prisoner to the sea let it drift him wherever it pleases. From night til midday Saad drifted, struggling to keep his head above the water and air in his lungs. Amidst his sun baked head Saad heard the familiar sound of waves crashing on land. Hastily he summoned all his strength to swim towards the sound. With arms and legs numb from overwork Saad arrived at a beach. Overjoyed, he cried on the ground, he had survived the grand ocean.

Saad now realized his intense thirst and began searching for some source of water. Near his landing he found a tall coconut tree with bountiful fruit. He scaled the tree and began knocking down the plumpest coconuts. On the ground he split them with care and drank the nourishing water and the succulent white meat. Hungry for more he climbed the tree once more. However as he was searching through the bundles a silvery scaled serpent slithered from the brush. It must have been at least two lengths of a man figured Saad. It bore its giant jaws displaying a desire for Saads flesh. Swiftly the serpent began spiraling up the trunk hunting Saad. With no time to think Saad jumped from the tall tree. He hit the sand, falling over. The serpent came in hot pursuit as Saad bolted into the forest. Dodging limbs and bushes Saad eventually reached some sort of long lake, he saw no way around it and dove in. The serpent halted at the bank, violently hissing and Saad swam as hard as he could.

The last thing Saad wanted was another trip swimming but he wouldn't risk going back to the serpent's island. The body of water look about two kilometers long, a bit of a stretch thought Saad but he sloshed on. Halfway across the water he reached a sandbar that he was able to stand on with the water up to his waist. He panted nearly hyperventilating, the last twenty four hours had been grueling work for Saad. Saad figured he had to be at the other side by nightfall or else he would perish in the water. As the moon rose Saad saw torches lit near the shore meaning one thing, people inhabited here.
Saad carefully maneuvered up the south side of the village wary that they could be savages. He fought through the dense brush till he could see the village. The structures appeared to be wood and dried mud, a large bonfire was at the center with a least fifty people around it. He tried to silently get closer for a better view he tripped on a stray torch sounding a quick snap as the torch and Saad hit the ground. Saad got up and hastily made his way to the shadows but the people were upon him too early. He was thwacked with a large club on the back as Saad fainted with terror.

Saad woke up in what appeared to be the village's chief house. The people sat silently around him, inhaling some sort of smoke as they glared at him. A person who Saad assumed to be the chief entered as all the men bowed deeply. The man asked in perfect Arabic how Saad got here which Saad was obliged to tell. After hearing the tale the listeners were appalled. They said nobody has ever escaped the serpent's land. Upon the telling the chief decided Saad worthy and ordered a feast to be held. That evening the feast was composed of massive amounts of fresh goat, dates, naan, and cheese. There was much merry making talk and Saad told his story at least five times. Saad ate till he almost vomited. After the celebration the chief presented Saad with a sturdy little boat filled with the riches of the land. It contained the wonderful pelts of wild cats and large bricks of salt. Saad thanked the chief for his gratitude and left the next morning on the boat.

Saad hardly had any experience sailing but the town's cartographer drew up a clear path to Bussorah. After two days of strenuous sailing and much vomiting Saad saw the familiar land in the distance. He cried out in joy, he would be home at last.

Before reaching home Saad made a stop by the trading plaza. All the merchants stared in envy of his precious goods. Saad sold the goods at extreme profit and had two sacks of gold by the evening. Now he decided to treat himself. He bought a exquisite sapphire head piece for his turban, a gold bracelet, fine new linens, a bag of rice, and wine. He loaded everything on a newly bought camel and rode home with his chin up high, greeting strangers.

Saad made his way up the path to his house, and hopped of his his camel with glee to see his old house. As he entered the familiar musty smell hit him like a mother hugging a child. He unloaded his goods and sat in his chair, so fulfilled with his life's turnout.

From outside the bushes a silhouette of an old man with a long beard crept out of the bushes away from a newly filled hole, three sacks of extraordinary weight over his shoulder. Sulei grinned while spying in Saad's window, he turned around and walked away. Saad's inheritance was his.

This was inspired by The Arabian Nights as I used to read it all the time as a kid