Beyond the Surface where the Eyes can't See | Teen Ink

Beyond the Surface where the Eyes can't See

By Michelle_Baldwin SILVER, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Michelle_Baldwin SILVER, Lawrenceville, Georgia

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

An energy deep inside arises as my eyes catch a glimpse of him. I walk trying to do the impossible. I try not to stare but I’m like a fish who’s taken the bait. I’m hooked. His eyes lock onto mine for a mere second but become lost in the swarms of people who surround me.
He didn’t notice me. I shouldn’t be surprised. I’m just an ordinary girl. “Maybe I shouldn’t try so hard.” I whisper to myself as my confidence wavers because the boy I’ve liked since what seems like forever didn’t notice me, again! What I would give to hear him say my name. To actually talk to me.
“Hey Kaylee! What’s bugging you? Do you need a hug?” Ethan grabs me by the waist holding me in his grasp. His eyes hold joy and happiness. “I’m guessing he did it again. Just as you get your hopes up… BOOM. They come tumbling town forcing me to catch you. Don’t worry. I don’t mind.”
“How did you know?” My eyes meet his as a questioning look washes over my face.
“We’ve been friends for how long?” He laughs.
“You’re right you probably know me better than I do.”
“Like the back of my hand.” Ethan holds up is hand and points towards his palm and pretends to read it like a map leading to treasure. “Why do you bother with him? He is just a player who will throw you aside like yesterday’s meat loaf.” I shiver with the remembrance of the disgusting meat loaf that robbed me of a taste bud… or two. “He will use you. Why can’t you see that? I bet there is a guy who likes you for you. I bet he is right in front of you and you just can’t see it because of your obsession with the captain of the football team.”
“He could change.”
“He won’t.” Ethan’s eyes soften as a wave of sadness and pity flows through him. He thinks I’m making a huge mistake but I don’t see it that way at all.
“Whatever.”
“Can’t say I didn’t warn you.” He throws his hands in the air as if he is surrendering. “Well Kays, I’m going to class. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” He winks and runs off towards A-Hall.
I walk alone as the halls start becoming empty. Contemplating how I’m going to handle this whole boy situation. I step into class as the bell rings. I hear screeches and feet stomping on the ground as if a herd of elephants escaped the zoo as people try to make it to class.
“New Seating Chart.” Mr. Raymond steps into the class as he fidgets with his glasses. Everyone sighs at the unfortunate thought of sitting next to Harry, the meanest kid in school. I don’t particularly care. I just want to be put next to Oliver. The attractive football player whom Ethan despises.
Mr. Raymond goes one by one, desk by desk. The pool of students who have not been seated grows thin. “Kaylee. Oliver. Harry.” At the sound of our names touching, clashing in air makes my heart skip.
I walk slowly towards the empty desk containing number 23. Every fiber of my body starts to scream as I move closer towards Oliver, the hottie.com. The desk is cold to the touch. The room fills with laughs, giggles, jokes, and insults, the typical “teenage vocabulary”. I avert my eyes. “Play it cool.” replays over and over inside of my head.
“Caylin? Right?” The sound of his voice pierces through me as my train of thought pulls out the station far from reach.
“What?”
“Your name is Caylin, right?!”
I just stare at him for a few seconds all wide eyed and such. “Kaylee!” I blurt out like I’m completely insane. “It’s Kaylee.” I take in a deep breath and attempt to relax.
“Cool. Do you want to go to a party with the guys and me later?”
The question completely catches me off guard. “Yes I would love to.” I hide my excitement by pinching my toes together.
“There is one thing though. I need a major favor. I’m terrible at the Calculus stuff and my mom won’t let me go to the party if my homework isn’t 100 percent correct by 3. With football practice and everything, there just isn’t any time. Think you could help me out?” Doing his homework is terrible, but maybe if I just explain it to him it won’t be cheating. It will be like tutoring. I really want to go to the party though. Ugh!
“Sure. I guess… It’s only ten problems so it won’t be that big a deal. We can meet up later so I can show you how to do it.” I smile at him knowing I just broke a promise to myself. Never cheat.
“Thanks. You’re an angel. My guardian angel.” He places his hand on mine sending shockwaves pulsing through me.
The rest of the day flies by as I wait for the “Party of My Life” to begin. Homework is finished. Each time the clock ticks is a second closer to what I’ve been waiting for all year.
I totally destroy my room as I throw clothes on the floor. I try to find the perfect thing to wear. The attention grabber. I slip into a dress and heels. I stare in the mirror barely recognizing the girl standing before me. A nameless riddle. I’ve gone from the weird, smart kid at school to the girl going to the party of the year. A black, thin line traces my eye lid as my eye lashes branch out making my eyes pop. My lips are bright red, dangerous.
I struggle down the stairs. As I reach for the knob the doorbell rings. I turn the knob. Oliver appears, with his ex-girlfriend. I smile a gentle smile.
“Ready to go Kaylee? Did you finish my homework?” I nod and hold out the untruthful work. He snatches it from my palm and snickers deviously. “Nicely done.” I step forward and as I am about to shut the door, his ex-girlfriend’s hand strikes me in the chest and sends me falling towards the muddy ground. “Did you really think I would let someone like you hang out with someone like me? You are not anybody. You see I knew you had a crush on me from day one.” He squats by my side. “You gullible freak.”
“You may look nice on the outside but deep down you are a cruel jerk.” Tears fill my eyes as everyone laughs at my embarrassment.
“Sweetie didn’t anyone tell you that looks are all that matter?” He looks me up and down with his judgmental eyes. “Only a few of us have it. Clearly you were unlucky.” They hop in their car and drive away leaving me alone covered in mud. Cold. I can no longer hold back my tears. I sob. Nobody is around to hear me.
“Get up Kays.” Ethan steps in front of me holding out his hand. A smile spreads across his face as he pulls me into his embrace. He holds me as I sob. Smudged make-up, tears, and mud all grab hold of his shirt but he doesn’t seem to care. “You are a beautiful, one of a kind person. Don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise.” He lifts my head off his chest and plants a quick kiss on my lips. “You have to look beyond the looks, the rumors, and the stereotypes. People can be beautiful, flawless on the outside but horrible, ugly creatures on the inside.”
“You’re the one you were talking about earlier. The one I was missing. You’ve been standing in front of me this whole time supporting me as I went after Oliver. You stood by me. Why?”
He says it quietly, “Because I love you and I will always be there for you.” He holds me tighter. I will never see anything the same way again. I guess that sometimes extreme measures are the only thing that will knock someone out of craziness. I will try to look beyond the surface where the eyes can’t see.