Three Minute Voicemail | Teen Ink

Three Minute Voicemail

By Meem Hossain BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Meem Hossain BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Please leave a message after the bleep.*bleep*

Assalamu Alaikum, hello? Is this Ashraf Doria’s home number? I sure hope it is. One take, one take only. I’ve been hearing about what’s going on. I just want you to know that it’ll get better. It seems that everyone around is having a hard time. I mean, my son’s been really gloomy because you haven’t been teaching at the mosque for the last couple of days. He misses you a lot. He’s been telling me a lot more about the mosque and how class works and how the other students are faring, and all that. It really warms my heart, the fact that after skipping all of middle school, my son is finally loving the mosque. I swear you are a miracle worker.

A door opens and closes. “mom? Who are you talking to?”
I’m talking to your teacher, Maulana Ashraf.

“can I talk to him too?”
Sure.
Hello, assalamu alaikum? Ustaad?

A brief pause.
Mom, he’s not on the line. Where is he? Did he leave because he heard me?
“No, of course not, honey. You’re one of his favorite and best students”

Is this a voicemail then?
The mother nods her head.

Oh. Sorry about that, ustaad. I was really confused about that. So how’s it going? How’s your son? I’ve heard rumors about what actually happened to him. The hudhoor says that he’s really sick in the hospital, but he never said what he’s sick with. So then I asked one of my best friends on the other side of the mosque, and she said that he broke his ankle. Then yesterday, I asked Wassaif and he said that he got burnt and then he said that he was getting his cast taken off. So I don’t know what to believe. It’d be nice if you replied and tell me what happened. It’s been a while since I’ve seen him, and I miss him. But man, it’s been three days and I haven’t seen you, and that scares me and makes me depressed. The mosque is being run by a bunch of uncles, and it is annoying because they act like they’ve been teaching for like. Ever. And they really haven’t. I know everyone at the mosque takes you for granted, and disregards your opinion because you’re a different race. But, I’ll stand by you and do what I can for you against those power, money hungry uncles that run the mosque. I don’t blame you for your indecisiveness about staying or going. My friend, the one I told you about earlier, Nilima, told me about how all this is affecting you and your family. At least from your wife’s side. I’d like to hear about your side. I’m also really sorry about skipping that Friday. I feel like if I was there, I could’ve stopped you. Or maybe not. I’d ask you to stay until I’m done with my aliim course. Then I’d be glad to step in for you, or alongside you. My mom is motioning me to get off the line, because I’ve been on for close to two or three minutes. But I’d like to leave with one more thing. I’m really, really sorry about skipping those last three years. Sorry for myself, and sorry for you too. It was such a good opportunity and I just left it like how frogs lay the eggs and leave the tadpoles to grow up by themselves. And I’m sorry because I completely ignored your plea for me to learn. You always cared about me. And there’s no way I can make up for lost time, and there’s no way to repay for that kindness. I hope Allah rewards you immensely and your family as well. Assalamu Alaikum.

I wrote this piece after I returned to my usual musjid classes for arabic, and I found that my favorite teacher was no longer around. As you'll read, many of my friends give reasons as to why he was no longer around. There was always issues surrounding his teachings. Mostly political and monetary issues. In a holy place. This is about as much as I'll rant: what's the freaking point to bringing politics and money to teaching children? Anyway, ever since then, not only has my favorite teacher (I refer to him as Ustaad) left to New York, but now the entire class system has fallen apart. My second home from home. Gone. Just when I started to like it.