BANG! | Teen Ink

BANG!

November 12, 2014
By Ginzbeda BRONZE, Montvale, New Jersey
Ginzbeda BRONZE, Montvale, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Looking out the rainy bus windshield Jerry thought to himself how meaningless and grey his life has become. My goddamn father left our family when I was only alive for 5 goddamn years! Who does that? Jerry couldn’t remember his face while he was awake no matter how hard he tried, but in his sleep he was constantly haunted by his memories. To add to this hardship his mother overdosed on pain meds a few months back. He used to have good grades and was on his way to being successful, but with his parents gone and no money to support his education Jerry got a job as a bus driver. At least he had one thing going for him…


Every day when he returned to his crammed one bedroom apartment, his beautiful loving wife greeted him with open arms. This made him feel like he was worth something again and all his worries went out the window. They were friends at childhood and Jerry felt almost responsible for her. He looked forward to days like today; he would come home to a candle-lit Friday night dinner for two, with flowers in his hand and a rare smile on his face, and the two would spend the rest of the night talking and valuing the others’ presence.


Tonight was different; it wasn’t a normal Friday when he came home. Jerry right away knew something was wrong. Consistently for two years there were candles, a warm dinner, and a loving wife waiting for his return but tonight there was none of that. The small room that served as the apartment’s kitchen, living room, and dining room, was dark and unwelcoming. As he took a step forward he bumped into a foreign object, it was heavy and solid. He turned on the only faint light they had and stared in astonishment,  the object, not so foreign anymore, was a suitcase filled with his things.  Jerry looked across the room to find his wife sitting on the lumpy armchair at the other end of the room with a grim look on her face. In one hand she held a half empty bottle of cheap scotch and in the other a creased piece of paper with some sort of writing on it.


Without a single word she clambered from her laid-back position, walked over to Jerry, still frozen with a confused look on his face, and handed him the paper. For a minute he examined the may ink stains and scotch spills on it then began to read:


I’m ‘onna come rit out and say it, I’m sik and tired of being witchu. I hate being stuck up in dis dumb ol’ apartment. I hate your dumb ol’ job, and we aint gots no money. I’m leaving you and der is noting you can do to stop me. I couldn’t say dis to your face so I be writing dis. Don’t say anyting, just git out and go.


Jerry slowly raised his tear-filled-eyes from the paper in his hands and looked at his wife. Her eyes, however were fixed at the floor, ashamed. “But..” Jerry finally managed to get out a word. She just shook her head. “Can’t we discuss this situation further? Maybe we can arrive at a resolution?” She looked down pointed at the bag on the floor, then motioned towards the door.


                         ~~*~~
It was over; his life was over, there was nothing left for him. He was in his besmirched yellow school bus that he hasn’t returned yet to the company. His suitcase rattling in the back as it hit the walls and seats with every turn. But, he didn't care; he had bigger issues. There was no one left; no one in his life cared or respected him. What made him different from everyone else? Why did he deserve all this antipathy and  disconsolateness? Why him? Why him? “WHY ME!” Jerry yelled as loud as his feeble voice would permit and slammed on the gas with all his might.
He was flying past: cars, trees, and buildings, but didn't care. My goddamn life is worthless, I am worthless, and so is this goddamn stinken bus. Jerry glanced at the speedometer, which was slowly rising in conjunction with the rhythm of his heart. 85…95…100…110…120, going up and up and up. The world was a blur. Looking out the rainy bus windshield Jerry thought to himself how meaningless and grey his life has become. Then, BANG, nothing….
                         ~~*~~
Jerry opened his eyes allowing the bright light to poor in; was he dead? Was he finally dead? Then the blurry white shapes he saw all around him began to move and he saw human-like figures moving in every direction. Was this heaven? His eyes became heavy again and sleep took the best of him.

                         ~~*~~
This time when his eyes opened he saw more clearly. He was in a small four walled room; it was quite simple and only slightly larger than his entire apartment. There was a television close to the size of the wall, machines beeping and signaling around the room, and a grand bed in which he was lying. This is a goddamn hospital room! This is not a where I should be, where are the angels the harps?! Why did they save me? why couldn’t they just let me die?


“This isn’t fair” he said under his breath. “Omygod You’re awake, how is you?” Thats when he saw her sitting in the corner of the room on the only chair present. But why? What was she doing here? “Finally its been too long, I was startin’ to think you wouldn't come round. Uz been out for nearly two weeks now.”


“Wah…. what do you mean two weeks. That still doesn’t explain what you’re doing here; you kicked me out remember?” Jerry averted his eyes  to the television hoping it would magically turn on, but he pretended to watch it nonetheless.


“Dis accident made me realize I needs you. I don't have a job, or money. I is sorry can you forgive me.” Jerry was astonished. Sure he knew she was always dependent on him, but enough to keep him around just for his money? The rage he felt in the bus was slowly building inside of him. The machines in the room began to beep faster and faster, then he lost it.


“How could you?! I thought we actually had something, but you only want me for the little money I have! You’re too lazy to get out of the house and do anything with your life, so I have to work so hard every day to try to make you carefree and I get this! You have always weighed me down. I could never do anything with my life because I have two mouths to feed. I could've been something rather than sit around and drive a goddamn bus all my life. This accident made me realize something too. My life would be better without you. I don't want to see you again.”


As she walked out the room with her head down a man walked in. He was dressed in a silver-white silk suit, with black glistening shoes that looked like they cost more than Jerry’s yearly pay check. He had greying hair and a worried look to his face with a big dark bruise under his left eye.


“Hello Sir, how are you feeling? You may be wondering who I am. My name is George, and I happen to be the man whose car you smashed into. Not to worry though I left the accident with a measly scratch; you on the other hand got it bad. You, sir were out for a seemingly endless two weeks. I heard you awoke recently and I came running.”


“I’m so sorry, please forgive me, I don't have much money, but will pay for any damage over time” Jerry stammered.


George smiled, “Not to worry, not to worry. I was in a rush to get somewhere; as it seems you were as well. My guilt got the best of me and here you are. Everything is paid for and your care will ensure to your complete rehabilitation.”


Jerry was shocked, this man who's life he came so close to ending  is being so unnaturally kind. “Thank you sir, no one has ever shown me so much kindness in my life. How can I ever repay you?”
“Not to worry son, simply get better.”


                         ~~*~~
Many weeks have passed and Jerry and George became close friends. The man visited him from day to day until he became healthy again and many times after. Jerry learned that George was the president of a successful insurance corporation and learned many things from him about his work, about life, and about self worth. One day George offered his new close friend a job, and naturally Jerry accepted. Over the years Jerry moved up the business ladder and was happy with his newly formed life. He has followed his dream and did something with his life.  Looking out the sunny window of his office Jerry thought to himself how wonderful and bright his life has become.


The author's comments:

This short story is about the American Dream and how a man realizes it for himself.