Running Water | Teen Ink

Running Water

By kdailey SILVER, Branchburg, New Jersey
kdailey SILVER, Branchburg, New Jersey

If ever there was a time to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, now is that time.

Reese knelt on the smooth pavement. The sunrise was red, with the glowing ball of illuminating life just peering over the mountains. Her long brown hair glowed gold with the pink light of the sun. She stared at the immense beauty of the pink and yellow streaks reaching for an unseen reward. They flew like birds into the dark night sky, turning the black into a flaming masterpiece of reds, pinks, yellows, and purples. The lake was reflecting the color, and it seemed to hold every secret in its endless waves, beaming with color.
Her fingers fumbled with the bright green shoelaces as she gawked at the sun rising over the cliffs of Mount Pocono. This was her home, and this was where she belonged. Reese wanted to live the rest of her life here. She stood up, extending her long legs, and pulled her turquoise hoodie over her head.
Walking briskly down her driveway, Reese grabbed the railing separating her and the lake. Lake Wallenpaupack had been her home since she was born, and she couldn't imagine ever leaving. This was the only place Reese had ever known.
Releasing the railing, Reese took in a deep breath. Smiling, she began to run. She reached up to the earbuds wrapping around her ears and began to play her music. It was early, and no one was outside for her to run into.
The beating of her feet grew to match her steady heartbeat, like the earth itself was urging her to continue. The pounding of her lime green running shoes sent vibrations up Reese's spine, and she felt herself pushing harder and harder off the ground.
Her long legs flew farther and farther off of the ground, and Reese felt like she was flying. She pulled her hoodie off, and held a sleeve in each hand. Curving her back, she let her head fall back. The sweatshirt flew out behind her like wings.
She closed her eyes, and imagined that she wasn't seeing the sun coming from the horizon, but was watching it from the cosmos, seeing the little blue and green ball that she called home turning and moving in its steady circle.
This was the only time Reese really felt free. The only time she truly felt alive. The only time she was allowed to be herself.
"Reese!" A voice cried out from the sidewalk on the other side of the asphalt road. She pulled her arms in and wrapped the sweatshirt around herself. It grew cold, and the wind suddenly didn't feel like it was carrying her into the sky. It felt like it was weighing her down, pushing her into the sidewalk and keeping her from taking off. She kept running. She knew the voice, and it was one she'd never wanted to hear again.
"Go away!" She screamed. Her voice sounded weak and squeaky. The small and breathy sound didn't sound like her. Reese usually stood up to him. But today she felt guilty.
The voice boomed again. His gruff, ringing voice echoed in the early morning air, "Get back here, Reese!"
Suddenly, the golden October trees didn't seem so pretty. They seemed like a cage, holding her in as he walked closer. She was slowing, stopping. The pounding that she had felt in her feet was not welcome in her heart now, as she felt the blood pounding in her head. Reese's head whipped right and left. She looked at the huge lake behind her.
"Idiot!" He slapped her. "You thought you could run away? This is your home!" He hit her again. She put her arms up to shield her face. He kept hitting her. She let out a quiet cry of pain, and suddenly, she didn't feel sharp jabs of pain coming at her face. She cautiously pulled her hands down. He was standing there with an icy glare in his eye and a malicious smirk on his face. He reached for her arm and opened his mouth to speak.
And suddenly, Reese could move again. On instinct, she recoiled a little and pulled her arm out of his grasp. She started to run again, and she felt his hand brush her backpack. It somehow felt heavier than before. She took off running.
"Get back here!" He screeched in a raucous yell. She kept running. She was faster than him, faster than most people. The clothes that she'd grabbed in a reckless attempt to run away slid up and down Reese's back as she sprinted away from him.
But she was tired. She felt fatigue in her legs, and she took a small pause to shake them out. And in that moment, he was on her.
"I'm your father, and this is your home. Come home." He reached out to grab Reese's hand, and she made a quick, careless decision. She shrugged the backpack off her shoulders and jumped over the thin silver railing that was the only thing between her and the water.

She heard his screams as she let go of the fence and fell into the water.

Then she plunged under into the cold, dark water and everything went silent. Reese sunk further and further.

Daddy, I'm sorry, she thought. Mom’s not coming back, and neither am I.

So in case you didn't understand, Reese's father is abusive and she is sick of it. Her mother is dead, and she is just so fed up that she commits suicide at the end.

And no, I'm NOT depressed. I just feel like this needs to be out there. And no, my parents are not dead and/or abusive.