DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER | Teen Ink

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER

By Ida@ACHS BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Ida@ACHS BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Ayaan walked into Mrs. Daley’s morning detention, threw his backpack on the floor, and forced himself to say ‘Good Morning’ to her.
She gave him a serious stare and asked, “Why do you get into so much trouble? You act like rules are not meant for you.”
Ayaan looked up to reply, “I wasn’t the only one talking, you always blame things on me.”
“That’s enough of your excuses Ayaan find something to study,” Mrs. Daley replied.
Ayaan just ignored her, and laid his head on the desk thinking about the upcoming spelling bee. 
               As the bell rang, Ayaan ran to the cafeteria ignoring the ‘no running in the hallway sign’. It was time for the spellers to get on the stage, but as Ayaan looked at the audience he couldn’t help but notice the doubt on the faces of his teachers, school staff, and even Mrs. Daley. Ayaan definitely looked unique among the other contestants because they’re the ones who get showered with awards for their academic achievements. Round one turned to Round five, and there were only two contestants left Ayaan and another boy named Bob.
The principal called for a break, and Ayaan heard the whispers of other students, “It is obvious Bob will win, Ayaan doesn’t even care about school.” He ignored those destructive comments, for he knew he was better than what others thought of him. The pronouncer walked to the microphone to pronounce the last and final word. There was a dramatic pause in the audience, for they paid full attention you could hear a pin drop.
“Your word is PRECOCIOUS,” he said to Bob.
“P-R-E-C-A-U-T-I-O-U-S,” Bob replied.
“I am sorry Bob but that is incorrect,” the pronouncer sadly admitted.
“P-R-E-C-O-C-I-O-U-S,” Ayaan replied. “
“I am sorry Ayaan but you won’t be with your school anymore because you spelled it right and you’re qualified for Regionals,” the pronouncer announced.
Ayaan leaped for joy and the crowd gave him a standing ovation. He walked up to Mrs. Daley, gave her a hug and said, “I did it Mrs. Daley.”
Mrs. Daley, who had so much anger at him earlier that day, held him tight as the tears in her eyes were like a rushing river. He was getting compliments from literally the whole school, and his fellow competitors who gave him a pleasant handshake. Ayaan winning the spelling bee felt like an unrealistic dream to the teachers. It was like opportunity was knocking on his door. For the first time in a while he went home without thinking about how many punishments he’ll get for his behavior.

I got inspired tow rite this because something similar had happened to my little brother.