Can’t date if you can’t skate | Teen Ink

Can’t date if you can’t skate

April 2, 2015
By Anonymous


I decided to skateboard to the party to get there faster. The sun was already setting and I wanted to already be there. Weezer was blasting in my headphones so loudly that I didn’t hear that stupid Honda Civic and almost got ran over. Maybe she’d think I’d be cool, “Hey did you hear what happened to him? He got ran over while skateboarding”. Actually, maybe that wouldn’t be cool. I got to the house pretty quickly, it was only a few neighborhoods away. I stopped for a second to stare at the door and all these scenarios flashed through my head. I forced myself to stop thinking because I was trying to wrap my headphones and my hands were starting to become too shaky.

When she walked into class 10 months ago that day in August, the second day of school that year, I didn’t know how to feel. It’s stupid how accurate the description of “butterflies” was to the feeling in my stomach. There had been no girls in my school I had liked since sophomore year. She was quiet, but got more talkative as the school year progressed. I was able to talk to her occasionally, but always quickly turned away to hide the fact that all the blood in my body had rushed to my face. She’d always giggle though.

And now she was sitting next to me on the green couch, some pop song I hadn’t heard before was blasting in the dark room obnoxiously loudly. She was sitting with her feet pulled up on the couch and she was staring at the people lazily. It sounds cliché, but I didn’t care about anyone else in the room at that point. I was so nervous and I wanted to look cool for once. This would be my last chance in maybe forever, since she would be moving this summer (something I heard her talk about in class once).
“I don’t even like parties… I just came here because I was bored” is what the conversation eventually led to and we left outside. I didn’t want it to seem sketchy but she didn’t seem to find it sketchy.
“Oh and just so you know, we’re not going to smash.”
So we sat on the roof, the dark blue sky and stars with us. Her face was faced upwards and her mouth just slightly open.
“Can you skate?” she said. I mean, yeah, I did skateboard here… So yes. Why was she asking this?
And then I was back on the sidewalk, the wind in my hair and the prettiest girl around skating in front of me. She turned around to look at me, and her hair was blown in her face by the speed. She smiled and turned back around, and I thought this could all be fine, at least for now.