Family lies too | Teen Ink

Family lies too

By Aliconn1698 BRONZE, Dousman, Wisconsin
Aliconn1698 BRONZE, Dousman, Wisconsin

"Today I'll be happier than a bird with a french fry."

A short fiction story with some aspects based off my experiences.

Chapter 1: Lies

I lay motionless in the grass as my dog runs around the lot chasing the birds. I’ve counted approximately three clouds so far that look like faces before they morphed into something I couldn’t recognize. The warm july breeze rushes through my hair as I sit up from the grass. My dog sees that I have sat up and comes prancing over to where I sit and immediately sits on my lap. I gasp for breath as my dog, Rudy, is a Newfoundland and weighs just over 140 pounds. I adjust my legs and sit comfortably on the grass stroking Rudy's soft black fur.
“I wonder how long it will take for them to notice that i’m gone.” I say out loud as Rudy looks at me with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. I nudge Rudy off my lap and grab his leash that was laying beside me. I clip it onto his collar and stand up and start to walk. The total amount around the whole lake is 2 miles. I figure if I walk around one time it’ll be enough time to skip out on the dreaded family dinner. I think of aunt Dede and uncle Norbert arguing about how screwed my generation socially because we have our heads buried in our cell phones all the time. I also think of my mom and her new boyfriend getting all snuggly on the couch. Thinking of this image makes me walk slower. I confronted her about it once, telling her that it made me uncomfortable. She laughed and told me not to be so dramatic. After that I spent the whole night locked in my room ignoring the constant urges of my bladder. I am about a quarter way into my walk when Rudy has decided to make it known to all the dogs on the lake that he has the loudest bark. I tugged his leash a bit and he got the message. We continued on our walk as we come up to the stop sign that has graffiti written on it. At first I am unable to see it but as I get closer I can read it very clearly, Stopping is a lie, I shrugged it off and kept walking. I then approached the house. The house where everything changed. It looked gloomy and sad with its green paint making it look transparent to the luscious green shrubbery around it. I noticed that he planted some trees around the yard, but my moms wedding shrubbery stayed put. Surprising, I thought. All year I’ve been planning what to say to him if I ever see him. All of a sudden memories started flooding back to me. The way he slammed the door, the way he told my mom that divorce was not an option and the way he shut us all out. He promised her he would get better, be a better person for us. She believed him too, thats the sad part. They divorced and he moved to the Florida Keys only coming back for summers. Some dad he is. He occasionally sends a postcard for birthdays and Christmases, “Love you so much!” They would say along with, “Wish you were here!” But I happily stay put. I then notice that I have been staying in one place for longer than I anticipated. I quickly start walking again but I stop in my tracks when a familiar voice calls out, “Lissy!” I turn my head and see his twisted face and he runs up to me with a guilty smile on his face. My heart is pounding and my face is flushed and emotionless. He catches up to me and Rudy stands in front of me protectively. I place my hand on Rudy's back and I stare through this man, hatred in my eyes.
“I’ve been meaning to walk down by you guys.” I say nothing. “How are you?” My gut twists and turns and I almost can’t hold it in anymore. “I’ve been praying for you.” I can’t help but laugh. His face fills with confusion and I laugh even more. “Why is that funny?” He asks. I start to spill.
“What is funny? Where do I even start? Lets start with how much of a hypocrite you actually are, walking around with your bible everywhere and saying how you do no wrong but actually you are the biggest asshole I have ever known. You left us with nothing. You took all of moms money to buy your stupid house in Florida and took away the one place I felt safe. You took away the green cottage I grew up in and that was just evil. I told you day in, day out how I couldn’t wait to grow up and bring my kids here because it was full of magic. You smiled and agreed. I should of known it was a lie, just like everything else you told me was. I doubt you actually love me and it’s all just a gimmick because you feel guilty you left us.” I caught my breath as the hairs on the back of my neck shot up. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights and I couldn’t be happier. He looked from the ground, to me and back to the ground again. “I’m sorry.” He muttered. I couldn’t watch this any longer so I tugged on Rudy's leash and ran all the way home with him still standing in place. I walked in my front door and unclipped Rudy’s leash. I then went to my room and closed the door. I looked at the clock, 5:09, and sat on my bed. I pulled out my notebook and began to write all of what just happened. My breathing became easier and my weight felt lighter with each word I scribbled down. When I was done I placed it upon my nightstand and layed my head upon my pillow and fell asleep. It was the first time in months that I was able to sleep without fear in my soul.