An Impact on Life | Teen Ink

An Impact on Life

She was nervous, she didn't know who she'll meet. She was scared, she didn't know what to do after that moment. Her parents are worried sick of her. Her friends, don't know where she has been she's in a rehab center.
Riley was an average teenage girl. Not the best out there but she was trying. She was diagnosed with major depressive disorder.
  "How long will I stay here?"
  "Usually a week, depends on the doctor." The nurse, Janae, said as she was handing her a balnket and a pillow.
  You'll be fine, we'll take care of you."
She nodded at Janae then walked back to her room, scanning every little detail that was left behind the last person who stayed. There were patches on the wall, the beds seem pretty uncomfortable and made a lot of noise once sitted. As she placed her belongings aside the bed, she walked to the window looking out to see some sort of view but it was only the other side of the hospital. She started to think; thinking if she'll survive a week there, barely knowing anyone yet. It was life changing for her, she didn't expect to be there. The thoughts were running through her mind causing her to tear up, slowly leading to a small cry.
It was bedtime. Bedtime was different for her since it was at an earlier time than she usually goes to bed. By the time everyone was asleep, Riley was having difficulty sleeping.
  "Just go to sleep..." Riley mumbled repeatedly as she was crying.
A few days pass by, it was Riley's fourth day there. She seemed to be getting along with the staff and the new friends she has made.
  "Riley, can I see you for a moment?" her social worker, Cassi, called her over to talk about her plan along for when she gets discharged.
  You will be discharged this Wednesday right after your family session, do you have any questions or concerns that you have for me?"
Riley didn't want to talk much with her social worker, she was overwhelmed with the fact that she'll be going home soon. Everything began to change for her, she seemed to be contented especially with the news about going home soon. Riley knew that she would go home, but the days seemed to go slow for her. She couldn't wait to see her parents, her friends, the comfort of her own home again. She was looking forward for the day to come.
The day of her discharge, Riley was filled with excitement. She couldn't wait for her social worker to call her down to her office, get the notice that her parents are there and that she'll soon be going home. Once the time arrived, Riley was happy to see her parents and her oldest brother. After they were done talking to her social worker, Riley was ready to go home. As she was saying her goodbyes to her friends that she has made during her stay, Riley wished them luck to soon recover and to be strong.
Riley knew this would be life changing; she just didn't realize that it did make a huge impact on her life, as well as her family. She never knew her family cared for her, she always thought the opposite. Till this day, Riley is still trying her hardest to be strong and to keep going.