The Move | Teen Ink

The Move

By haribhimaraju BRONZE, Cupertino, California
haribhimaraju BRONZE, Cupertino, California

“Andrea, honey! Get in the car!” Mom called to me. I looked around at the giant airport looming above me, surrounded by the bright blue sky. Today, it was the perfect shade- my favorite color. As I watched, the sun emerged from the white, fluffy clouds and illuminated the world. Even it must feel the happiness and hope all around, I thought, grinning. I looked up one more time and walked over to the car.

I lugged my suitcase into the trunk and sat in the backseat of the mahogany-colored SUV we were renting till our cars came. So, I thought to myself. This is Wilmington, North Carolina. I wasn’t sure if I was happy or sad. Probably both. I had just left the place I had grown up in my entire life- Salt Lake City. I would definitely miss the glittering Great Salt Lake and the gorgeous Wasatch Range mountains.  However, I would probably be happier here, living right next to the beach, and, even better, right next to my best friend! Ellie and I had met in a summer camp last year, and let’s just say that when you spend every minute of every day with someone for two months, you get to know them REALLY well. In addition, it’s not like I had any friends back home. After staying with Ellie all summer, none of the kids in the school wanted to be my friend anymore. They had all bonded and became such good friends with each other that I just didn’t fit in. That’s why, when my parents announced that Dad had found a new job in North Carolina three months ago, I was more than delighted. I would finally have a friend again...

“ANDREA! WAKE UP!” Dad shook me awake. I leaped up.

“Wait, what? What happened?” I must have drifted off while sitting in the car.

“Nothing,” Dad chuckled, “We’re here.”

My heart skipped a beat. We’re here. I had been waiting for someone to say that for three months. I would get to see Ellie again! I was ecstatic! Today, I was going to stay over at her house for a sleepover and then go to school with her tomorrow. I couldn’t wait!

I jumped out of the car, yelled, “See you later,” and started walking down the street. Mom had told me Ellie’s house number was 1167. I checked both sides of the street. The houses here were huge. They were each painted a different color, ranging from brown to sky blue. Neatly trimmed gardens lined the front of each picturesque house. Finally, towards the end of the street, I saw a gigantic, cream-colored house with the numbers 1167 painted elegantly near the red french doors.

I took a deep breath and walked up the steps and onto the porch. I pressed the doorbell and waited. And waited. I heard a rumble of thunder and saw that it had started raining. The sky was covered by clouds and the sun was hidden. That’s weird, I thought with a frown. The sun was out just 30 minutes ago. I shrugged. Weather could be weird.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, someone opened the door. I nearly jumped with surprise. This someone was definitely not the Ellie I knew. The second I saw her, I knew everything would be different. The Ellie I knew had beautiful blue eyes, not eyeliner-and-mascara-coated ones. She had gorgeous, wavy, dark hair that was not pencil-straight with electric-blue-highlights. She used to wear colorful clothes with sharpie doodles; now she was “adorned” with a black tank top, black leather jacket, and ripped black jeans. Next to her stood someone who looked almost like her twin. She was also completely goth, and just by the look of it, I could tell she was the popular girl. The Ellie I knew was a pretty, happy girl, not a gothic, popular freak. What happened?

I suddenly came popped back into reality as I saw someone waving their black-nail-polished fingers in front of my face, sassily saying, “Hello? You still alive? Ugh, Ellie. And you say she was your best friend. I thought you were better than that. Well, text me know when you’re not hanging out with losers and maybe we can hang out. Bye.” She stormed out the door, pushing me with her shoulder.

A white hot lump of anger had formed in my throat. “And who, exactly, was that?” I asked the sad-looking Ellie.

“Oh, she’s my best friend, Kat. Well, Katrina Williams to you.” Ellie had regained her I’m-Too-Cool-For-You composure and seemed a little angry that Her Bratty Majesty had left.

Okay, firstly, wow. Just wow. No “Hey, I haven’t seen you in a whole year!” or “How you doing, Andrea? It’s great to meet you again!”.  I was pretty taken aback by her friend and wanted to be mean, but maybe there was still a chance that she was same old Ellie? Maybe deep inside? Well, anyhow, I have to try and be nice, don’t I?

“Oh. I’m so sorry! I didn’t realize I was interrupting.” I tried to sound sincere, which, let me assure you, was taking all- and I mean every, single bit- of my will power. She was clearly still annoyed. We stood there for a couple of second, just staring. I finally realized she wasn’t going to say anything, and it was up to me to ask.

“Um, can I come in?” I asked hesitantly.

“Well, it’s not like I can say no, so yes. I suppose.” Ellie replied, looking just as unwelcoming. She opened up the door a little.
I wished she had just said no. Everything would have been easier. But an inner part of me interfered. It still had hope Ellie didn’t really change. Maybe she would warm up to me again?
Ellie caught me in mid-thought again, saying, “My room’s this way,” in the most bored voice possible. She started walking up the stairs, not waiting to see if I was coming. I ignored my growing anger and followed her.

The red walls were lined with adorable pictures of little Ellie and Mr. and Mrs. Kingsley. She looked so cute, the opposite of right now. We had reached the top of the stairs. Ellie started walking to a door on the right. It probably led to her room. I followed her. When I walked in, I almost jumped. I felt like I was back in the 1900s! Everything was black and white. It was such a big contrast from the bright hallway, that it took a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust. She had black-and-white posters covering a majority of her walls. Her open closet was full of black clothes. Even her bedsheet was black. Looking through the window, I could see that the weather had gotten even gloomier. I could barely see a white orb behind the gray clouds. All in all, it matched my attitude. Surprisingly, however, a snowglobe collection lined the shelf next to the door. It gave me renewed hope that I might still find the Ellie I knew.

“So, uh, how’s school?” I asked Ellie, trying to make small talk.

Astoundingly, her face lit up. “Oh, it’s great. I have so many friends and everyone loves me! Isn’t it just great to be popular?” She exclaimed. Oh. That’s why she was happy. Now she got to brag.

She probably saw the defeated look on my face, because she replied, a pitiful, condescending look crossing her face, “Well, not everyone is fortunate. Some people are loners. I’m happy I’m popular. When I got back to North Carolina after summer, Kat and I became really good friends. She brought me from the loser pile to popular. I guess not everyone got that. What a pity.”
Okay. That was enough. I was done with her.

“I, uh… I need to go to the bathroom!” I blurted out, feeling very claustrophobic.

Ellie looked very satisfied that she had managed to drive me off. “It’s down the hall and to your right.” I pushed myself up and started walking to the door. I reached my hand out to twist the doorknob, but hit something else instead. I heard a giant CRASH! It was a very expensive-looking snowglobe from Switzerland. I heard a boom of thunder from outside. The weather reeeeally seemed to be somehow linked to my brain. I was soooo dead. 
I heard someone gasp behind me. “What did you do?” Ellie half-whispered with shock. Then, she seemed to have come to her senses. “OMG. WHAT DID YOU DO? YOU’RE SUCH A NOBODY. I BET YOU’RE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND I’M THE QUEEN OF THE SCHOOL. YOU’RE SUCH A PATHETIC LITTLE BRAT AND I’LL MAKE SURE YOU’LL HAVE NO FRIENDS. GET OUT OF MY FACE. AND MY LIFE. FOREVER!” she screamed.

My insides erupted with anger. How dare she? “OH, I’M A PATHETIC BRAT, AM I? WOW, SOMEBODY HAS NOT LOOKED IN THE MIRROR RECENTLY. OH NO, CORRECTION. YOU DEFINITELY LOOK IN THE MIRROR ENOUGH. JUST LOOK AT YOUR MAKEUP. YOU WENT FROM MY BEST FRIEND TO A POPULAR, IGNORANT, UNGRATEFUL IDIOT. ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOURSELF. I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND, BUT NO. AND BTW, I’D BE GLAD TO GET OUT OF YOUR MAKEUP-INFECTED, SASSY, IRRITATING FACE. AND I’M SURE I CAN MAKE MY OWN FRIENDS. BYE. FOREVER!” I replied, equally furious. The last part seemed like a little bit of a false promise to me, but I didn’t care. I stomped down the stairs and straight out the door.

As I ran across the street to my house, tears started sprouting into my eyes. Without permission. Everything was over. All my plans were gone. And no doubt, Ellie would make sure everyone hated me. None of the populars would talk to me, anyways. Outside, it was a full-blown storm by now. The icy rain lashed at my face as I ran. I finally got to my blue house and yanked open the doors. I didn’t even feel good to be home. “Home” was still in Utah.

My parents started to ask what happened, but must have figured it out, because they just kept quiet with a sad look on their faces. I ran up into my room and let it all out.

After a couple of hours, I finally got over it- mostly because my body didn’t have any more tears left to let out- and started calming down. I wiped my eyes and sat for a couple of minutes before I heard the bell ring. I went downstairs, preparing to slam the door in her face if it was Ellie, and opened the door.
It wasn’t Ellie. “Hi! My name is Chelsea! I noticed that you moved in and was wondering if you wanted to go to the park with me, you know. I baked some cookies. I also saw you come out of Ellie’s house, and, what can I say? You learned Her Majesty’s horrors!” she added with a grin. I was so taken aback and happy! Maybe I did find a friend after all! She had strawberry-blonde hair that was messily strewn over her shoulders. She was wearing a tye-dye t-shirt and worn-out jeans. Her sneakers had sharpie doodles on them. She looked like someone I would want to be friends with- happy, fun, artsy.

I suddenly realized she was still waiting for a reply. “Oh, absolutely!” I replied.

“Great!” she looked relieved. “Want a cookie? We have so much to talk about. I have to introduce you to Wilmington, Montgomery Junior High, and give you information about school people. I brought a yearbook!” she added with a grin.

I loved her already. “Sounds great!” I replied. I felt so relieved.

“Oh, and we have to talk about Her Majesty Gothic Queen Elizabeth Kingsley, of course,” she said with an impressive British accent.

“Of course, of course,” I replied, giggling.
We continued talking. The sun was coming out and the world suddenly seemed a whole lot brighter. My senses seemed to have sharpened. I saw the beautiful fall colors with hawk-like focus. I could hear the melodious songs of the sparrows. I could smell the cool ocean. I could even see a stripe of color in the sky. After all, after a storm always comes a rainbow.

This is a short narrative story I wrote for a Language Arts assignment at school. It is just supposed to be fun and interesting, and isn't really inspired from anything in specific.