Something Lost | Teen Ink

Something Lost

By C.C.Holmes SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
C.C.Holmes SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota

When I was in second grade my parents had me go to this camp for the summer. The days were endless and all us kids were forced to play outside even though the temperature was something even a dragon would’ve avoided. The counselors were nice but it was obvious they wanted the day to be over as much as us kids. Yes, while it wasn’t my dream summer palace the scorching weather, and the lazy counselors were not what had made my experience there so rotten.
What made it rotten? Her.
It was around the second week of summer camp when a new girl showed up. She was one year older than me and when she walked in she held the presence of a  movie star. Wearing a white jean vest with a pink skirt and dangly hoop earrings,  her golden hair fanned out around her,  it was no surprise when all the heads turned. Her younger brother, Leo strode in behind her. She was introduced to the group and sat down in the back with her brother in tow. And that was the last I’d thought of her until three days later when she, a couple girls, and her brother approached me.
Apparently during the past three days she’d gained an entourage. Two other girls followed up behind her while her brother strayed off to the side.
“Hey,” she said. But to me it sounded more like “hagh” due to the gum in her mouth she smacked so loud even people in China knew that she was chewing. “Pop”, went the bubble gum and she resumed her chewing. “That’s a pretty headband,” she continued. I knew it was.
Around that time in my childhood I had developed an unreal addiction to headbands. I made sure I wore a different one every day. I never went anywhere without one. The one I had been wearing that particular day was purple with flowers scattered across the top. It was one of my favorites. The only thing I disliked about it were the sharp spikes it had combed on the underside to make sure it stayed in your hair. Those particular spikes dug into my scalp as I was jerked out of my thoughts and into the present.
“Can I borrow it?” Miss movie star asked as she tugged on my band raking the spikes across my head and tangling them in my hair.
I jerked away and said maybe a little too forcefully. “No!”
She frowned and her eyebrows furrowed together. “Why not? I just want to borrow it, it's not like I’m gonna steal it or nothin’,” she snapped.
“Sorry  but I don’t feel comfortable sharing it,” I mumbled feeling her eyes pierce through me. I saw one of her groupies whisper something in her ear and her mouth twisted into an evil smile. 
“Hey Leo, get her headband!” Her friend said and the other cackled along. While Leo was one year younger than me and probably didn’t know any better I can’t help but fault him for what happened next. He leaped across the room and the girls egged him on, pushing him forward. He dived for the band ripping it off my head, the spikes yanking strands of my hair off with it. I yelped with pain and tears jumped to my eyes.
“Give it back!” I shouted, my voice cracking a little on the lump that had formed in my throat. Leo leap away and conveniently dropped it. Seeing my chance I lunged for it and for some reason Leo decided to step on my fingers. I yanked back my hand biting my lips against the pain and Leo’s foot went up again and came down smashing my head band in pieces. I sat there dumbstruck while the girls laughed and laughed. I snatched up the pieces of my broken band and ran into the bathrooms where I cried and hid for the rest of the day til my parents picked me up.
What happened after that? Well, that’s another story for another time.