I Fell Off A Ferris Wheel | Teen Ink

I Fell Off A Ferris Wheel

January 13, 2016
By Anonymous

I am on the ferris wheel, just at the top where I can see the whole wide world, when suddenly it jolts to a stop.  I realize I am stuck at the top of the ferris wheel! I look around and all I can see are people panicking, when something catches my eye, it’s my mom waving at me and pointing, trying to tell me something. I looked to where she was pointing, and what I see makes me freeze up, my brother was on the edge of the car and was about to fall. My throat finally opens up and I manage a whisper of, “Neel, watch out.” I realize he couldn’t have heard that and this time I yell, “NEEL WATCH OUT!” as I quickly made my way to him, but it was too late.

As I watched him fall so many emotions washed over me anger, pain, sorrow, but most of all, regret for not watching him so he couldn’t fall, and not being able to catch him when he did. Then I see him hold on to a bar and slowly find a good foothold, I was so relieved that I can’t even explain it right now.
I looked even further down and I see my mom panicking and my dad on the phone with a worried face, and I realize that the amusements park’s ladders were not tall enough to reach as high as my brother, and now we had to wait for the ambulance and the fire truck  to arrive.  Right then and there I decide to climb down there and get him myself.  There is no way that the ambulance or the fire truck weren’t going to make it before he lost his grip, after all he is only five and there is no way he could hold on that long.  So I slowly unbuckle my seatbelt and carefully climb out of the car. Then, I secure a foothold and I start climbing down, slowly I make my way to Neel. Then, I see my dad out of the corner of my eye making his way to the service ladder, I am hoping he doesn’t climb after us, it would only make things worse. Fortunately, he stays at the top waiting for us, and I realize that he trusts me, this brought a smile to my face and I kept on going.
I finally reach my brother and I noticed that he is crying and that if I was even a minute later then he would have fallen. I talk to him softly, “Neel, it will be ok, don’t worry, all you have to do is climb on my back like it’s a piggy back ride and we will make our way down to Daddy.”
“Ok,” was his only reply.

Somehow, he manages to clamber onto my back, and we can make our way down, at this point I could hear the sirens coming closer, and I try not to think about what would have  happened if I had not climbed down. I tried not to think about a lot of  things, like what would happen if I slipped. Fortunately, my thoughts were interrupted by our dad’s strong voice, “Be careful, and don’t worry.”
It’s harder to move now, my brother has grown a lot since I last gave him a piggy back ride, but we are only about six feet away from the service ladder, and so I pick up my pace.
When we finally reached my dad, I could see tears in his eyes, but I don’t ask why they are there. I just hold still while he lifts my brother off my back and into his arms.
When my dad is a good distance down, I start my way down the service ladder. I see the ambulance and the fire truck  which have arrived a few moments ago tending to my dad and my brother, I was so busy watching them, I wasn’t looking where I was going, and I slipped.
I open my eyes, and everything is black, and my arm is throbbing, and I hear a faint beeping, I don’t know what’s happening, but I am too tired to care, so I close my eyes again.
I open my eyes again, but this time I see a whole bunch of people crowded around my bed, and my right arm is in a cast. Right in front of me I see my dad carrying my brother who was holding up the iPad and my picture is there under the headlines, “Girl Saves Her Brother From Falling Off A Ferris Wheel!”. I look around and I see my mom, aunts and uncles, and my grandparents, had all come to see me. What I don’t understand is why they all came to see me, instead of just calling me on the phone and asking if  I was ok, but I am glad they came.