Eye of the Beholder | Teen Ink

Eye of the Beholder

January 22, 2016
By alwaysariadna BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
alwaysariadna BRONZE, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It had to have been since birth. Mr. and Mrs. Gordon knew something wasn’t right about their baby girl. Family and friends would wave to Lori and they would receive a blank stare. They would get closer and wave their hand back and forth, but nothing happened. No giggle, no snort, no laugh, not even a smile. It was odd.
This behavior continued for another three months and there was no change. So, at Lori’s six month check-up, the Gordons’ explained to the doctor that Lori is unresponsive to gestures.
“That is not good,” replied the doctor.
“What do you suggest we do?” asked Mr. Gordon.
“I am going to refer you to the best optometrist that I know. Her office is no more than thirty miles up the road,” said the doctor.
“Thank you, doctor,” said Mrs. Gordon with a worried look on her face.
They left the doctor’s office and immediately met with Dr. Shane. They explained the situation once again. Dr. Shane nodded understandingly and advised they start running numerous tests on baby Lori. Dr. Shane already knew that Lori was blind. She learned in medical school that even though they have a huge hunch about one’s diagnosis, they should run tests to further strengthen their diagnosis.
The process began and blood was drawn for the screaming Lori. It was clear that she was not pleased. About 45 tests later, Dr. Shane arrived with the results.
“Mr. and Mrs. Gordon, I regret to inform you that your daughter, Lori, is legally blind,” said the sorrow-filled doctor.
The Gordons broke down in tears. Their lives were turned right side up after Lori’s birth and now it is upside down again.
***
Five years later, Lori is growing and maturing faster than her parents can keep up with. Unfortunately, after five years of praying, researching, and doctor visits, Lori is still unable to see anything. The Gordons are eating breakfast silently; Mr. Gordon is spoon-feeding Lori.
“Honey, can we talk?” asks Mrs. Gordon, finally breaking the silence.
“If this is about enrolling Lori in that school for the blind, then no,” replies Mr. Gordon.
“I just think-” said Mrs. Gordon.
“I know what you think, and I don’t want to hear it,” replied Mr. Gordon.
“You just don’t want our daughter to thrive, do you? I am disappointed in your selfish acts. What’s best for our Lori is to enroll her in the school specialized in working with the blind,” said Mrs. Gordon furiously.
“Fine, enroll her. If she enjoys it, we will let her stay-” started Mr. Gordon.
“And if she hates it, we will enroll her in a public school,” finished Mrs. Gordon.
“Deal,” said Mr. Gordon.
That was the end of that conversation, but this whole time, Lori was wondering why her parents wouldn’t ask her what she wanted to do for once.

***
Another 12 years go by, and Lori is a teenager. She continues to attend Keller’s Preparatory for the Blind and she loves it. Her family life couldn’t be any better either. Mr. Gordon accepted the fact that the best thing for his daughter was to attend the special school. Lori’s parents could not be more proud of her for overcoming the adversity she has faced since she was a newborn. At 17 years old, Lori is the smartest girl in her grade. She plays three instruments and is taking five AP courses. Her other four senses are so finely tuned that she has even learned to get around without using a walking stick. She is not totally independent, however. She still gets driven around, whether it’s by her parents or a taxi.
One day, she was shopping at her favorite store when she felt a presence. Then, she heard a voice speak.
“Excuse me, but I couldn't help but notice that you have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen...” said the masculine voice.
“Thank you. Too bad I will never be able to see them myself,” replied Lori.
“Just take my word for it, and let me take you on a date,” said the voice.
“Me? Oh, I have never been on a date before,” confessed Lori.
“I can’t wait to be your first… I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name,” replied the voice.
“It’s Lori, and yours?” asked Lori.
“My name is Steven. Nice to meet you.”
He then lifted her hand to meet his face so she could feel that he was smiling.
Ten years go by, and Steven gets on one knee to ask for Lori’s hand in marriage.


The author's comments:

My inspiration for this piece came from struggling with my own eyesight, but ironically, I think the best feature on me is my eyes.