The Empty Box | Teen Ink

The Empty Box

Tuesday morning began with a steaming cappuccino as usual, waltzing down Fifth Avenue then sitting on the street bench waiting on my daddy's limousine to take me to school. No way would I actually waste footsteps on this gum plastered cracked concrete, rushing civilians running to the next sale at the department store at the end of the street, or the annoying barking poodle in the arms of the doorman as the owner hails a cab.

This morning I was late, as usual but still looking amazing in school uniform that practically nobody could pull off except me which im sure is why when I walk in late everyone has to stare in envy until I sit down. At the end of the class period we all had to draw names of our classmates out of a Yankees ball cap. After we had all drawn a name. Mr.Renald said, 'this is your assignment for this six weeks, I want you all to send a box full of things that you think describes your peer that you pulled out of the hat but do not tell anyone who you have drawn, this is a peer building project have fun!' in an enthusiastic voice (as if he expected to get a positive reaction from the class). I was surprised to hear students excited about this but as for me I could care less about 'Amy Kinden' who sat like twelve desks away from me, whom I have never spoken a word to' okay so maybe once in third grade asking her for a pencil or something. I don't associate with the 'medium class' im too far fetch for them anyways! Besides who needs friends it only high school!

Okay, so there is not a chance that I would actually spend money on this frizzy haired freak that finds 8o's music the most fascinating thing in the world. So I went to a thrift store (never looking anyone directly in the eye just incase somebody might recognize me) picked up a god-awful handbag that looked like it had shag carpet sewn to it. When walking out of the thrift store I saw the hottest guy in school Clint Hamilton, I Quickly ran into on going traffic dodged a few cars and then was face to face with a small cart selling dream catchers for five dollars I grabbed the ugliest one in comparison to this girls personality and bought it with the left over change in my pocket. The lady said 'oh thank you, thank you' I then waked off not even acknowledging this lady's attempt to be nice (like it matters, ill never see her again!) that night I went home and threw the things I had bought in the box and then wrote on a piece of ripped paper 'frizzy', then I threw some Babe Ruth bars in. I then taped the box shut and signed anonymous on the front. I went to bed feeling confident about that 'thoughtful' doing of me to take time out of my day to think of someone like 'her'. I think I did rather well.

The next morning my dad asked if he needed the box mailed and I said 'yes', so assuming that's where daddy headed, I called and scheduled an appointment at the spa for four thirty. That evening when I returned, there was no box for me.

Seven days later'
I heard the doorbell ring I ran to the door and saw a box through the peephole, I Pulled the door open in a hurry causing it to hit the family picture we took in France to fall to the wood floor in the dinning room (oh well 'ill get it later') I grabbed the box ran to my room opened it as though it were a Christmas present. When I opened the box I sifted through bubble wrap, when I finally reached the bottom'the box was empty.

The Key point for me when writing this article was to get across that we sometimes find ourselves wrapped up in belongings or money. In the end if your lucky you may find yourself digging out of this hole you have fallen into "someone else"

MaddieWo PLATINUM, Marstons Mills, Massachusetts

"If I'd a knowed more, I would a loved more." -Pilate Dead, Song of Solomon

Bahaha this is great :)

Love the ending!

kielymarie SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut

"When you do dance, I wish you a wave 'o the sea, that you might never do nothing but that." -William Shakespeare

I love the idea and the POV, but it's a little choppy and doesn't flow very well. 

SecretNonConformist SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts

The only thing necessary for the triumph of
evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Bless the children, give them triumph, now!"
Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers

i liked this because most people don't have the courage to write from the point of view of a snobby rich girl. congrats too you!

yael krifcher BRONZE, Potomac, Maryland
this is awesome!!!!!! i love your writing style, and the message is great, i love how u portray her personality. keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think it was very good, but i can see that you could do better. Never be afraid to let imagination get the best of you. I look foward to another masterpiece.