The Future Lurks in Ink | Teen Ink

The Future Lurks in Ink

March 22, 2016
By drowning_in_flannels BRONZE, Winchester, California
drowning_in_flannels BRONZE, Winchester, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A snow day again, what a shocker. I guess the overnight snowfall was too much for Delta’s snowplows to handle. At least I’ll get to enjoy the dwindling hours of sunlight that the Alaskan springtime allows, alone, instead of being cooped up in a small school building with burnouts, prom queens, and future alcoholics.
It’s extremely fortunate that I get to spend my day watching the snow fall from the safety of my cozy, steel-blue colored room. I plan to light a dozen tea candles, turn out the lights, and numbly drift away at the sight of the dreamy purplish atmosphere of Delta, Alaska.  Maybe I’ll witness a shy elk saunter out of the forest unaware of humanity, or watch a young moose dart back into the forest of evergreen trees.  Delta’s awe-inspiring landscape is the only thing about this town that I’ll miss. I will always miss the countless days I’ve spent in my room listening to obscure indie bands, off in my own world. Away from the bleakness of reality.
This town is nothing more than an endless cycle. No-names settle here, no-names get married, no-names produce more no-names, and set up the new generation of no-namers for a life of nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.
Delta is a monster. A monster with glistening barred yellow teeth, and rough scaly skin that hides in your closet at night waiting to get you  3,296 no-names caught in her malicious grasp. 3,296 no-names that encompass my name.
Every morning I  wake up to snow, darkness and never-ending cold. I have a need to escape and it burns in my chest. I feel nauseous at the thought of being stuck.Im an angsty, aching misanthrope.  I’m sick of seeing all of the beat up pastel, stilted houses littering the bleak landscape.  I’m sick of hearing all of the oh-so-important small town gossip at the town’s only grocery store. I'm sick of hearing who's going to be the next oh-so-important prom queen, who's sleeping around with who, and who was holding hands at church last Sunday with so and so.  No Maggie, I don't care that John was at the bowling alley last Saturday with Tessa. And no, I don't think it's the biggest scandal of the year. I hate our one lone gas station. I hate our miniscule movie theater that shows an impressive two movies at a time, which are always about two months behind the latest and greatest. . At least we have a library.
Delta’s library is a sanctuary.  The shallow never dare to step foot in a library, they wouldn't want to overwork their poor little brains. I’m safe. The petulant, ill-tempered librarian sits behind her  tiny librarian’s desk. There sits about eight long tables, a few crappy wooden foldout chairs, and one dinosaur of a computer. It’s not the most attractive place, but it’s attractive in spirit. The books that line the library’s walls contain the answers to anything and everything. They contain knowledge and hope, and a constant reminder that you’re not alone.  There are books that remind us that we’re just people, roughly passing through a mind-numbingly ordinary existence, but we still have the capacity to make impact, big or small.   The library soothes my wounds of isolation. I feel less stuck and stagnant inside Delta, oblivious to the outside world.
The brilliant Asher Williams helps dull the scorching, tormenting pain of isolation. He makes me feel slightly less mental. Blond-haired, brown-eyed,  Asher Williams. The perfect contrast to my dark brown hair, blue eyes, and melancholy. Organized, outgoing, and everything I’m not. He’s may not be my twin in physique, but shares my unrelenting thirst for escaping this town.
Gladly, our thirst will soon be quenched, as college acceptance letters are due to show up in both of our mailboxes later on this week. Acceptance letters that determine escape or eternal damnation. There wasn’t much of a competitive spirit at school to send in applications, considering that less than one fourth of my graduating class had even remotely thought of sending any applications out. They’re too busy following in mommy and daddy’s footsteps, like mother had insisted upon for me to do, and I refused. I refused to be a menial waitress at the family coffee shop. I want to make something of myself, and Asher does too.
“EILEEN!”
That sounds like my cue. I dart out of my room, into our cabin-like living room, and face my mother.
“What mom?”
“Asher called for you, and wants to know if you’re busy, I obviously told him you weren’t up to much, and that he could stop by. Just please pick up your room before he gets here.”
“Sure.” Not going to happen.
I head back to my little cave of a room and anxiously wait for Asher’s arrival. I attempt to straighten up my room a little bit, but end up calling it quits. I hear a chorus of footsteps bound down the hall heading for my room, which I can only assume belong to Asher.  I see a head of blonde hair a flustered red face burst into my room.
“YOU WILL NOT GUESS WHAT HAPPENED EILEEN.”
“WHAT WHAT WHAT?!”
“My letter came! It came! I know the results of my U of W  application! University of Washington!! Alllll the way in Seattle. Hundred of sweet miles away. ”
“I can only assume the letter you received was pleasant.”
“ YES. I was accepted! I’m getting out! I’m leaving! Wanna read the letter?”
“Of course!”
I eagerly take the crisp piece of ivory colored hope from Asher sweaty hand and read:
Dear Mr. Williams,
I’m pleased to inform you of your acceptance to Washington State University’s program for graphic design and computer science. We look forward to having a bright new addition to our campus. Please arrive at Washington State University no later than the 6th of June 2014, to be assigned to underclassmen dorms, settle in, and prepare for summer/fall classes.
Best wishes,
Meredith Blake, Dean of Admissions

Wow. Asher is in. It’s happening, He’s getting out. I can only hope it will be same for me.
That’s selfish, stop thinking about yourself, this is Asher big moment and I need to congratulate him.
“I’m so proud of you Ash! All of your hard work paid off.”
“Aw thanks. I know that you’re going to get your letter of acceptance to U of W  soon. I won’t go without you. When you finally get your letter, that sweet saccharine letter, we’ll go on that college road trip we’ve been planning.”
“I would hate to be an anchor that only holds you back. You’re going with or without me.”
“I refuse. Well, I have to get home. The school called and said school will be in session tomorrow, no more snow days”
“It’s May 28th tomorrow Asher. The last day of school...”
“Indeed. I’ll see ya there!”
“See ya!”
I watch as his tall figure sauntered out of my doorway.  I shut my door, lay in bed, and wait for sleep to take me away.
I awake to geese honking outside of my window, and the ear splitting ringing of my alarm clock. The last day. I slip out of bed, and pull on some ancient looking jeans, an alarmingly grubby Zeppelin t-shirt that I’ve owned since freshman year, and bulky sweatshirt.
I suppose I should look somewhat presentable for my last day. Nah. Not worth it. Besides, I won’t be remembered any different if I show up to school in a pink mini skirt and tacky platform flip-flops.
I run a brush through my wavy chestnut-brown hair, and head downstairs to the kitchen to eat a breakfast of eggs and whatever I can hunt down in the pantry.  I finish my cereal, pull on my snow boots and heavy winter jacket. Its May 28th for lord’s sake. Half of the U.S. is suffering through a heat wave, and I’m putting on snow boots. Great.  I lock the door, and jog to my 97’ Jeep Wrangler. I start the ignition, and head for my last day of senior year.
I arrive at Delta’s high school, ready to see the people I’ve known since birth for the last time. As soon as I walk into the building, we’re herded out to the football field to take a class picture. A whopping number of 90 kids in the graduating class.
I move through the rest of my day like a zombie, waiting for the clock to read 3:00. Seconds feel like hours, and hours feel like a century. The waiting is agony.
Finally I hear the glorious deafening ring of the school bell. I’m free. I turn in my books to the front office, clean out my locker, and meet Asher in the front lobby of the school.
“Eileen. We did it. We actually did it.”
I embrace Asher, reminiscing on our now gone high school days. Our- well his now gone Delta days.
“I know! I can hardly breathe!”
“It’s time for life to begin Eileen!”  For you anyway, Asher…
“Tea at my place to celebrate?”
“Of course! I’ll meet you there.”
I pull out of the school parking lot for the final time. I will not miss this. I drive for around fifteen minutes until I finally reach my adorable red two-storied cabin of a house, and pull into my driveway. My mother and father's care parked in the driveway along with Asher’s as well. Why are mom and dad’s cars in the driveway? They’re supposed to be at work….Coffee shops don’t run themselves...
I unlock the door, and precariously step into the doorway, half expecting for something bad to happen.  I see Asher, my mom, and my dad huddled around our large pine-wood kitchen table.  Their object of interest seemed to be an envelope. An envelope? The letter. It came.
I rush to the kitchen table in a frenzy, and snatch up my future, which happens to be sealed in a meticulous white envelope, addressed to me in an elaborate font.
“Eileen honey…” My mother half whispered. “Asher checked our mail and saw that your letter came, and called us. Your father and I rushed home from the coffee shop, so we could be here with you during your big moment.”
“Well mom, don’t get too excited.”
I feel a huge lump start to form in my throat and I feel like I can’t breathe. My hands feel shaky and my palms are sweaty.  What if this isn’t a letter of acceptance? I brush the thought out of my mind, and start to anxiously tear away at the envelope. A monster was going to jump out of the letter and eat me. I’m excitedly terrified. My life rests on little piece of ivory paper, a piece of paper that makes me want to climb under a rock.
“Eileen!” Asher chastises, “Open it before the next ice age rolls around!”
“Asher, it’s already the ice age in Delta.” I respond humorously.
I hear a chorus of laughter. I need to open this letter. It will be as simple as ripping off a Band-Aid.
I tear the letter from its delicate white sheathing, and apprehensively begin reading.
Dear Miss Eileen Evans,
I happily inform you that you have been accepted to attend University of Washington's department of engineering and sciences this fall. A young lady with your ingenuity will make a fantastic addition to our science and engineering department. We thank you for your application and hope to see you June 6th 2014, to be assigned a dorm room and prepare for you summer and fall classes.
Best Regards,
Meredith Blake, Dean of Admissions

I’m going to faint, Am I dreaming? This can’t be real. I make my way to a chair, and share the news with Asher and my family. I’m surrounded my hugs and cheers, but I’m in a daze. I feel infinite. I feel every good feeling that life can offer. I’ve actually done it. I’m leaving.