Breeze - The Lament of Free Spirit | Teen Ink

Breeze - The Lament of Free Spirit

By lang.anna BRONZE, Granger, Indiana
lang.anna BRONZE, Granger, Indiana

I am sitting on the front porch as the breeze hits the back of my ankles. The easy breath I take relieves everything of the day. The worries that once overtaken are blown away with the breeze. I am free. I am stable. I am independent. I can do whatever I want. I can be whoever I want. I can love how I want and who I want too. I am solely responsible for every decision I make. I am solely responsible for the consequences that come with it. At the end of the day, everything that I produce I am responsible. Everything that isn’t from me, isn’t my problem. I am in charge of myself and myself only. Something about that is extremely freeing.

Looking at how the breeze blows so easily. So effortless. Making a gentle impact and uplifting the environment around it. That’s what I want to do. I want to swiftly blow from person to person leaving a lasting impression but never staying for too long. I don’t like the idea of commitment. I don’t like the idea of being tied down, like the grass. I don’t like how the grass is forced to stay in the ground because of its roots. I don’t like how the grass can only be moved if something other than itself removes it. That’s how some people are. They stay with someone or something until someone else pulls them out. Even worse than that: they’ll stay in the same place and let lawn mowers cut them down. Grass isn’t strong enough to move even if it’s being cut down. I don’t ever want to be that person or in that position.
I want to be the breeze. The breeze swiftly and gently blows over the grass. Refreshing it and empowering it. When the breeze blows over the grass, the grass leans. As if the breeze is saying to the grass, “you can get out, you can do it! Look I did!” I want to be the empowering breeze. I not only want to be independent I want to empower others to also not rely on others for everything. 
Then you have seeds,  seeds are the buddies who can still be taken into the breeze and go where they want. They can find a place where they are comfortable. Surrounding itself with flowers that will be uplifting. Together they can make a beautiful site. Or they can just stay where they are, around whoever they are and grow there. The key with seeds are though once they pick where they want to be they must stay.
Some choices are permanent. What will you be? The breeze -- an independent, gentle spirit. The grass -- a dependent, a product of its environment. The seed -- the decider, where will you place yourself to flourish and grow? To live and be known. What are you? What will you be?

dont.cry.little.girl. SILVER, Ooltewah, Tennessee
Amazing work. I love the nature-themed metaphor.