The secret in the notebook | Teen Ink

The secret in the notebook

May 20, 2016
By darianahernandez BRONZE, Austin, Texas
darianahernandez BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There once was a girl named Cataline. Her rigid glasses and not-so-subtle glare made all the boys want to date her. But she paid them no mind. They were immature little things. She didn’t have time for them. That was...until him… he was different. Quite strange in fact.
He did not talk much and he always wore a serious expression on his face. But he was very handsome. And all the girls would swoon at him, which made him roll his eyes and look the other way. He wasn’t interested in girls with insignificant crushes on him. Cataline admired that. It intrigued her. But still she paid no attention to him. At least none that he would notice. She’d glance at him here and there but they never once made eye contact. In fact, he hardly ever looked up from his notebook. And he never put it down. Cataline didn’t have every class with him but they had enough classes together for her to notice that his notebook does not leave his side. She wondered what kind of notebook it was and what it was that he filled it with. She thought of that a lot.
At the moment, however, she listened to her english teacher explain the project they were going to be starting. Since the first semester of the school year would be ending soon the teacher thought it would be a good idea to finish off with a project. One that would be a big part of their grade. One that was too big for just one person. Which is exactly how Cataline did not like to work. She preferred working alone. Especially since the only people who would even dare to ask Cataline to be their partner were the immature boys she could not stand. The girls in her class found her a tad bit intimidating so none of them even tried to ask her. Most of the time her teacher would end up letting Cataline work alone considering that there wasn’t an even number of students in the class anyways.
But now there he was, the guy who never looked up from his notebook had recently moved to Cataline’s school about 3 weeks ago. Just in time for the project.
Cataline hoped no one would ask him to pair up for the project, but of course that didn’t happen. Which didn’t actually surprise her. What did surprise her though was when he rejected their offers and began to walk in her direction. Cataline casually looked down at her notebook as if she hadn’t been paying attention to him. But still, Cataline could sense him getting closer and her heart began to beat at an almost overwhelming speed, when suddenly, she heard a confident voice directed at her. The sudden friendly approach startled her.
“Hey. You look really lonely” The voice joked.
Cataline looked up with a slightly flushed face and responded with a sheepish,
“Yeah, I know…”
“Well, do you want to be my partner.”
Cataline wanted to say yes as excited as she could because that was exactly how she felt inside, until she remembered who she was and replied with a “Yeah, sure” and looked at her notebook once more.
“Ok then? Well I’m Haiden.”
“I’m Cataline” 
“Cataline? That’s really pretty. Does it mean anything?”
“Um, no, I don’t think so.” Cataline stared at him slightly confused because no guy had ever treated her like that. Usually whenever a boy asked her what her name was they’d respond with, “That’s a pretty name...For a pretty girl.” Which always made her want to throw herself off a cliff. They act as if that’s the best pick up line they could ever have come up with. If only they knew the truth.
“Ok, so, Cataline do you know what we’re supposed to do?”
“Were you not listening to Mrs. Roe?”
“No not really,” he mumbled as he looked down at his notebook. “I was hoping you’d explain it to me once everyone was done picking their partners. I mean you were actually listening, right? You look like one of those people.”
At that comment Cataline snapped her head to look at him. “One of which people??” It wasn’t the first time someone had said it but that didn’t mean she liked it.
“Oh sorry, don’t get offended or anything but you just look like the kind of people who always try to pay attention in class, and who always turn in their work on time and are just, you know, good students.” Cataline could hear the volume in his voice decreasing as he neared the end of his sentence.
“I am not!” Cataline snapped defensively. “Why would you think that anyways?”
“I don’t know, you’re just really quiet and-”
“Well, well maybe I-I just don’t feel like talking to people. Especially if they’re as critical as you.” She stuttered and tried to look as annoyed as she could, but only failed because she wanted to laugh at how silly she sounded. And when Haiden saw the slight hint of a smile on her lips he let out a laugh. Which made Cataline laugh too.
“Ohh so you can smile? It seems as though the only expressions you can make are scowls and glares.” He pointed out with a smile.
And with that Cataline immediately went back to how she normally is because he wasn’t wrong about the glare. But again it didn’t work because she was smiling.
   “Hey so, I know we don’t know eachother that well but i’ve been wanting to ask you,” She felt hesitant and almost regret as she didn’t want to finish her question but continued anyways. “What do you write, or put, in that notebook you’re always carrying?”
As soon as Cataline finished talking, the smile on Haiden’s face vanished. “Oh, it’s nothing. Just personal stuff. You know what? I just remembered we’re supposed to go pick up a paper from the teacher, why don’t I go get it.”
And with that Haiden stood up from his chair, griped his notebook tighter to his side and went off for their paper.
Now Cataline really wanted to know what was in his notebook. But she wouldn’t let her curiosity break any limits. She decided a subtle approach would be the better choice.
Once Haiden returned holding the assignment paper in his hand and his notebook in the other, they both began to plan when and where they would meet up for the project. They would only be given time to work on the project in class the last week before it needs to be turned in. And before that everyone has to plan when to meet up either before or after school to work on the project. Cataline and Haiden decided it would be easier and better to work in the mornings. Actually, Haiden decided mornings should be when they work. Cataline thought it might’ve had something to do with his notebook but then later dropped that idea realizing how ridiculous it sounded.
About a week after they began working on the project Cataline saw just how quiet Haiden is. She thought after they had gotten a bit more used to each other he would talk more, but so far, nothing. Another thing about Haiden is he always looks tired. She never noticed this before because she was never this close to him but, looking at him up close, she could see how tired he looks.
Cataline tries to start conversations with him and tries to get him to open up, but everytime Cataline asks about something other than their project, Haiden ignores the question and changes the subject. One morning, however, Cataline was done being patient and couldnt wait to become friends with him to ask him about the notebook, so she decided to ask him once more, but this time with more determination.
“Haiden?”
“Yeah?” He responded mindlessly as he typed away trying to get the information for their project.
“What is in that notebook!? I’ve been trying to be nice and patient and wait until you’d tell me but It’s so frustrating not knowing.” She could hear her voice getting close to yelling.
“What?” He answered laughing. “It-It’s nothing I already told you. Now can we just kee-”
“Haiden. I really don’t want to be pushy, but it’s killing me! What are you hiding?” Cataline’s voice had lowered now as she wondered if her asking would finally make Haiden talk.
“Are you busy on friday?” He reluctantly asked as he sighed and rolled his head back.
“What? Um, maybe. Why?” Cataline was shocked by what he responded with. Was that his weird way of asking her on date? She could feel the corners of her mouth moving upward but didn’t fully let the smile stretch across her face just in case he wasn’t actually asking her out. She didn’t know if she really liked him or if she just really like how he made her feel but either way it made her feel almost nauseous.
“Do want to know what’s in my notebook or not?” Cataline could see that Haiden was starting to lose his patience and thought she should say yes and not risk making him more angry.
“Sure? What time?” Her heart began to race and her mind did too with all of the things that could or could not happen that friday. It was enough to make her head explode.
“I’ll text you. Here,” Haiden passed his phone to cataline and grabbed her phone from her side of the table. “Put your number and I’ll add mine in your phone.”


Once they exchanged numbers Cataline and haiden packed their materials and parted ways to go to class. Now she could only think about friday and what was in store for her.


But soon friday came, and a meteor scientists hadn’t predicted fell from the sky. And they all died. So Cataline did not find out what was in the notebook. She did learn a lesson from this though. Don’t be nosy.