A Day at the Carnival | Teen Ink

A Day at the Carnival

By marlimilan BRONZE, Newberry, Florida
marlimilan BRONZE, Newberry, Florida

On June 18, 2005 in Jackson, Mississippi, a little 8 year old girl by the name of Blair went to the annual state carnival with her family and friend Melanie. Melanie and Blair were the best of friends and loved to match. They both wore a watermelon tank top, white shorts, and sandals. And both of them had their hair fixed into two braids.
After they all left the house, Melanie and Blair were talking all through out the car ride about what they wanted to see and what they wanted to bring home. Blair, heard there was a game where you could win goldfish and take it home as a pet. Blair is in love with fish and everything about sea life.  Melanie, however really loves stuffed animals and she saw in the newspaper there would be a game where you could win a giant bear if you popped three balloons with darts.
Once they got to the carnival, Melanie and Blair jumped out of the car and ran towards the entrance with their money to buy tickets. When they got to the entrance, they could see tall rollercoasters that would bring people up and down 3 times. They also saw booths with balloons and bears, and a stand for ice cream and funnel cakes. Blair immediately went to the funnel cakes because that is her favorite carnival snack. Melanie, darted for the darts booth because she really wanted to win the giant stuffed bear! After Blair was done eating her funnel cake she went to go check on Melanie to see if she won, and as soon as she got over there, Melanie turned around with her prize. She was so excited she threw it up in the air and did a quick cartwheel to celebrate.
A little bit later, they explored the rest of the carnival and came across the goldfish booth. The game was, you had to throw 10 ping pong balls into a fish tank with a small opening and try and make it stay on there. Melanie and Blair got two buckets full and threw all of them in hopes of winning a fish or two. After Melanie ran out the balls and didn't make any, she checked with Blair and she had 3 more left. She threw one and it didn't stay, she threw the next, and that one didn't stay either. Then, she threw her last one and made it in the center! Blair had won the goldfish she really wanted! After they had won their prizes, they gave them to Blairs parents to hold so they could go onto the rollercoasters.
On their way to the Terrifying Tower, they came up to Haunted House. They got excited and walked in because they had never been inside a haunted house. Once they get through the curly stairway, they enter the great hall that has ghosts dancing all over. Next, they go through the Twisted Mirrors. There were bloody zombies and ghosts being projected on different mirrors. Melanie got spooked at ran to a corner she could find, sat down, and cried and screamed for help. Then, Blair got into the he room and couldn't find Blair at first. But she then heard Melanie crying and ran over to her as fast as she could. Blair tried her best to comfort her but nothing was working. Blair gets Melanie to stand up and walk towards the exit sign. That door was locked. Then they try the next room door, that was locked too. Then they try to go back to the Great Hall room. That one was also locked. Now, they both start to panic because they realize they are trapped. Blair frantically looks around and notices an emergency button above a mirror. She's too short to press it, so she gets on Melanie's shoulders. She misses the first time and almost falls. Then she tried another time, hit it, and then Melanie lost balance, making them both tumble to the ground. About 2 minutes after the button was hit, security guards come rushing to the mirror room. On the other side of the door was the owner of the carnival. He first asked the girls if they were alright. Then, he handed them a certificate to get free food, a pass for all games, and a skip the line pass for all rides. The two girls happily declined because they were already full, tired of the games, and just wanted to get to Terrifying Tower and get the full experience.
  Once they got to the Terrifying Tower, they noticed a sign with a height requirement. Melanie first stood up next to it and she wasn't tall enough to ride it. Then, Blair went up to it and she was tall enough to ride. But she didn't go on that rollercoasters because she would feel bad if she went without Melanie. So, they went off to find the ball pit. It was at the very end of the carnival. Once they got there, they kicked off their shoes, showed their wrist bands and jumped in. The girls played tag, hide-and-go-seek, and copy cat. Later, Blairs mom came to get them because they had been in there for an hour and half straight.
The girls then, got out, put their shoes on, and walked back to the car with her mom to go home. Five minutes after they got into the car, Melanie and Blair were sound asleep in the back seat.

The End