And Which is Happier? | Teen Ink

And Which is Happier?

September 28, 2016
By Palindrome PLATINUM, Reedley, California
Palindrome PLATINUM, Reedley, California
39 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If there's a reason I'm still alive when so many have died, I'm willing to wait for it."
-Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton

"Crazy people don't know they're crazy. They think they're getting saner."
-John Locke, Lost


Two little boys saw eachother from across the room and immediately recognized they had one thing in common, that neither could make it from one place to another on his own. Both had wheels doing the work intended for feet, strapped into chairs and at the mercy of the mothers who gripped their handles. But such a sweet similarity was not one that could be passed up, so they each turned around to their respective masters the best they could, and were pushed to meet eachother in the middle.

Through some twist of fate so perfectly right it can hardly be called remarkable, it was discovered that both little boys had been confined to their seats in the same way. Terrible car accidents had met the children on two seperate occasions, agreeing to allow each boy to live so long as their mobility from the waist down was taken as a toll.

"I miss running." said the first boy sadly.

"I don't." said the second. "I hated running, and now no one can make me."

Both boys laughed.

"Yeah, but anyway, living like this sucks."

"I guess." said the second boy.

"What are the chances we'd both meet eachother?"

"What are the chances that I'd get unfixably injured just riding to school?" said the first boy glumly. "This is probably just as likely."

"What do you think of your luck?"

"My luck?"

"Yeah, your luck." repeated the second little boy. "What do you think of it?"

"I don't know. It's bad." said the first little boy as his heart beat and his eyes blinked."What about you?"

"I wouldn't say I've got bad luck." said the second little boy as his feet dangled uselessly between the wheels of his chair.

Both boys then turned away and rolled their eyes, because it was obvious that the other was incurably mistaken. They each turned to their respective mothers and asked to be wheeled away, which was quite alright with the women because they were long tired of small talk. The two little boys had no desire to see eachother again, nor did they ever for the rest if their lives. This is mainly due to the earth-shattering difference between them. It made any further contact unbearable.

The first boy saw that he was in a wheelchair and that, though he never before had had the desire to dance, the fact that he could have if he wanted to had been subtly comforting until he had lost it. He saw that he had been in a terrible, tragic car crash.

And the second saw that his heart beat against the strap that confined him tio his chair, and that he could still move his arms when many could move nothing at all. He saw that he had been in a terrible, tragic car crash, and that he had survived anyway.