A Wake Up Call | Teen Ink

A Wake Up Call

By track.griffin BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
track.griffin BRONZE, Canton, Michigan

Tomorrow I have my Olympic trials. I don't want to let anyone down or myself. I feel like I'm always getting in the way of myself. I wake up and hear the calls from my mom telling me to come to breakfast, but I still ignored it and rest my eyes.

“ Victoria Rose Taylor," she roared sending shivers down my spine because I was still half asleep.

“ I said are you coming down?”

“Yes mom,” I answered tiredly. Even though my mom has a crazy work schedule, she still attempts to make time for me.  After I got dressed and brushed my teeth, I went down for breakfast. I never mentioned I am wrapping up my senior year, I am 17. I have a late birthday so that’s why I’m graduating a year younger than others in my grade. My mom is an ordinary mom I guess. Her name is Emily. She has brown curly hair, hazel eyes, and wears scrubs. She’s a nurse so she is always on the clock. People say that we look identical because I have brown curly hair but light brown eyes.

“ Are you hungry?” my mom asked.

“Starving,” I said. She made me eggs, bacon, and toast, with a side of orange juice. This was our ritual for the days that I have track meets.

After school, I met up with my best friend Veronica. We not only known each other since we were in preschool, but she also is on the same track team as me.

“ Are you ready for the meet?” Veronica questioned

“ Eh, I guess.” I chatted.

“ What do you mean you guess? You’re going to the Olympics, no doubt about it,” she announced. Today was going to be the most nerve-wracking day of my life. Not just for me, but also for the Michigan Lady Locks. That’s our team name. A little cool, a little corny. We happen to be the best team in the United States. Anyways, today was supposed to be a regular meet, but she told us that the official Olympic track coach is coming to the meet! As you can tell I am a little bit excited but somewhat nervous. Reason being my whole future depends on this moment right here.

I take a sip of my water and go sit next to Veronica. Soon the meet starts. The sun is shining on my face. I start to hear the panting of runners. Veronica tells me that she's up first with her relay group. Our team cheers her on as she runs. She was the anchor which is the person who is last to run in the group that usually means that they are the fastest. Her team is losing until Veronica gets handed the baton. She runs her hardest and continuously pumps her arms. They won!

"Great job Veronica, you did amazing!" I complimented.

"Thanks, Tori." She replied

" No problem girl" I giggled. I started to stretch because my event was coming up next. After one more event passes, I spot my mom in a large crowd chanting my name as I step up to the blocks. I do a few high knees (also one of my track routines) and get down in a starting position. I look to my right and notice the Olympic Coach and my coach watching me. My chest started to pound and I got more worried by the second. I take deep breaths and listen to the calls of the starter asking if we are ready. I quietly nod my head and stay focused. When I hear the gun shoot, my mind goes completely blank and all I think about is running. Running is my escape from everything so when I'm on the track that's all I can focus on. I start running my fastest. Kicking up my legs, lifting my knees, pumping my arms, and moving everything in my body to make me go faster. I'm no longer distracted by anything else. Not my mom, the other runners, my coach, or even the Olympic Coach. I feel free and happy. As I am taking my final steps of the race, although I just got done running I feel like my legs are still going. I'm in pain but I walk it off.

My mom notices and asked, " Are you alright Tori, you're staggering" she suspected.

" Not really," I answered, " My leg has been hurting since the meet."

" I'll call your doctor and schedule you an appointment for tomorrow morning." she implied. That night I couldn't sleep. I was aching so much and I thought about me losing the power to run. Running was my favorite thing to do. I've been doing it since I was 4 years old.  I've been in AAU for 6 years, and it took so long for me to build up my confidence and courage and I'm worried my life will just break down if I can not run anymore.
"Good morning kiddo," my mom said greeting me with a smile. It kind of hurt me when she called me kiddo. It's what my dad used to call me before he died in a car accident. The worst part was that he was coming to see me at a track meet. I always feel like it's my fault why he died. If I didn't ask him to come he wouldn't have died. My mom always tells me that he's in a better place but I don't believe it, honestly, I don't think she does either. I look back at my mom and smile.

"Go get ready for your doctor's appointment Tori," she announced. I went back up upstairs and got in the shower, got dressed, did my hair in a messy bun, and brushed my teeth. The ride to the doctors was terrible. I was quite, and so was my mom. Neither of us knew what to do or say. We pulled up and got out the car. I looked and the sky was grey and clouds were covering the sun. Birds weren’t chirping, it was misty, and the wind was blowing brutally towards us as we were approaching the office. My mom signed me in and after about ten minutes we entered the examination room. The doctor examined my leg,

“ Well right now it looks pretty bad, but we are going to take you in for X-rays,” she explained gesturing her arm to the door.

" If it is broken will she be able to run track still?" my mom asked.

" We won't know for sure so we should get her going with X-rays now." my doctor replied. We went into the X-ray room and after I followed my whole process, my doctor came back.

" It seems like your bone right here is broken," she told us.

" Unfortunately, you won't be able to run track for about a month and you'll have to wear this boot with some crutches," she spoke.

" Okay thank you, we'll email you if we have any questions," my mom said. She nodded and walked out. We left again not saying anything. I was broken all of my dreams and plans broke. My mom walked me from the car to the house, and we went in. I immediately texted Veronica and told her everything. The next week I started going to physical therapy and getting better at my walking, to the point where I didn't need crutches or my boot. The important part now is practicing. I went early in the morning to practice with my team. I met up with Veronica and my coach and we practiced for about an hour.

Next thing I know I was at my Olympic track meet with blocks in the back of my feet. I rubbed my head and woke up.

" Oh.. my... gosh...," It was all a dream. I realized that I let my head get in the way of things, but it was for the best because it took one really long dream to realize how blessed you really are. It turns out you will go through many different obstacles( even if they aren't real...) and still learn something from it. I learned that even when things "feel" like they are going bad, just remember that it's how you react to them that will be your turnout.

Victoria makes the Olympics for track. Everyone is excited and proud of her but herself. Is she self-sabotaging herself? Can she give herself a quick wake-up call before everything happens?