Medium Roast | Teen Ink

Medium Roast

By Jonathan Gotttlieb BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
Jonathan Gotttlieb BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

He strut into the cafe, which smelled of non GMO coffee beans and medium roast. With man bun bouncing haughtily, and skinny jeans sticking to his thighs, he keeps his crowd of followers updated. Without looking up he gets in line, “OMG this line is a b**ch someone save me :(.” He shifts platforms. Snapchat, to Instagram, now Facebook. Switch, update, repeat. He shuffles with the line, continuing his social media barrage. He hears a baby start to cry in the background, tapping away he says, “please shut this kid up. Haven’t had my caffeine yet. >:(” and presses send. Coming to the front of the line, he rattles off his order without looking up from the tiny screen, catching the still groggy cashier off guard. “I’ll have a large, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter nonfat latte, extra hot, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon.”
With blinding speed, the barista slides one drink after another into the waiting hands of customers. Minutes after ordering, the man updates, “slower than usual today. Need a new barista. Ugh. :(.” Hearing his name called, he walks over and grabs his drink. Taking a picture of the coffee, he captions it, “FINALLY.” Hustling to the door, eyes glued to the screen, then suddenly: he hits something and hears an ‘umph’. His drink is spared, but the other’s fate has been sealed. Forced to look up, his eyes rise with indignation, then puzzlement, as the curiosity of reality hits him. In front of him is a shocked young woman whose caffeinated beverage now resides in the fabric of his shirt. They locked eyes, and not knowing what else to do, he re-entered the screen, “logging off for now, hope you can survive without me :).” He pockets his phone and stands up straight.

This is a microfiction piece designed to be a compact story. I wrote it because I was in line one day to get coffee and couldn't help but notice that every single person in the room was buried in some form of technology, so I decided to write something playing on a stereotype.