Of Dandelions And Roses | Teen Ink

Of Dandelions And Roses

September 12, 2018
By RebelHeart GOLD, Upperdeerfield, New Jersey
RebelHeart GOLD, Upperdeerfield, New Jersey
10 articles 66 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Anfangen ist leicht Beharren eine kunst"


  "I don't remember the exact moment I fell in love with you... I don't remember how or when or where or why or any of the answers to questions I ought to know to even deserve to say those three precious words you've been dying to hear me say," He took another step towards her and suddenly she couldn't breathe. He was so close- closer than he's been to her ever since he came back. He tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear in the most cliche way possible and held her face. For a minute she thought he was going to finally close the treacherous gap between them and kiss her. Instead, he took a step back and shook his head whispering an "I'm Sorry". 

  She looked at him, confused, before taking a step towards him only for him to back up even more. "I'm sorry Cathy, but I can't say them. I can't say those words to you because I don't deserve them and I don't deserve any of this. As much as I hate to admit it, I don''t deserve to be the one that gets to wake up next to you every morning. I don't deserve to be the one that gets to hold you every night. I don't deserve to be the one who gets to hear your laughs or see your smiles or your anger or your sadness or anything and everything that makes you so perfectly imperfect. I just don't deserve you. Maybe-"

  Catherine stood there, frozen in place. She had so many things to say but couldn't form the letters into words and so she let him continue. "Maybe there was a time I did- deserve you I mean. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking and I was a jerk to you this whole time. Maybe I'm the reason you became so cold and if it is, I'd wish everything in the world just to go back and un-hurt you. But the truth is I can't remember. I can't remember you or us or anything no matter how hard I try. I wish I could because I would've loved to come back as the man you remember and just scoop you up in my arms and twirl you around like we're in one of those rom-coms you like so much." She laughed then but he only returned it with a sad smile, tears starting to form up in his eyes. They stood there for a while, staring into eachother's eyes, searching for what could've been and trying not to cry at their loss. 

Just as the silence was beginning to suffocate Cathy, he spoke up again, whispering as if the words he was about to say were something forbidden, "I remember... I remember gazing into these magnificent eyes. They were the most wondrous pool of bright blue and I remember thinking to myself, 'God if I could have one wish, it'd be to drown myself in them'... And every day after I- after I lost myself... Everyday I would remember those blue eyes and would think maybe not all hope was lost. Coming back here and looking at you, I could tell you recognized me but all I recognized were your deep blue eyes and all I wanted to do was hold onto you then and never let you go. Hell, all I want to do now is kiss you senseless and never let you go..." Cathy's heart was pumping so fast she was sure it would burst right out of her chest right then and all she wanted was for him to let go of his stupid hesitations, shut up, and kiss her.

  His eyes flickered back and forth between her eyes and her lips before struggling to let out the next few words, "But what kind of selfish man would I be if I did that? Cause heaven knows I don't deserve this and the person who does is waiting out there for you to meet him in that beautiful yellow dress of yours that makes you look like the most beautiful dandelion that would shame a million fields of roses..."


The author's comments:

 The most non-cliche cliche young adult story about a broken girl stuck in a love triangle involving a former best friend and a former boyfriend. Both left and returned to her life- one a famous celebrity and the other suffering from amnesia- just when she started to give up on love. This is an excerpt from the 1st draft of an older novel