A Quick Eternity | Teen Ink

A Quick Eternity

March 29, 2023
By Anonymous

Lying uneasily in my dimly lit room, my phone rested silently on the nightstand beside me. I had texted her hours ago and still couldn't shake the feelings of doubt that had settled in my chest since. I really expected a response at this point, but my screen remained dark and silent. Trying to occupy myself with other things, I tried everything to put my mind at peace - reading a book, watching a movie, cleaning up - but my mind kept drifting back to her. We had been talking for only months but I could sense myself beginning to develop feelings. But lately, she had seemed distant, and I had yet to figure out why. As the night wore on, my anxiety grew, and I even began to imagine all sorts of scenarios in my head - maybe she was angry with me, or she had lost her phone, or she was with someone else, which would be the worst of the three. The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced that something had to be terribly wrong. Finally, in the early hours of the morning, I couldn't take it anymore. I violently grabbed my phone and quickly dialed her number. It rang and rang, but she didn't pick up. I chose to leave a voicemail, my voice cracking with emotion, pleading with her to call me back, hoping she could somehow hear me. The next few days were a blur of agony. I couldn't bring myself to focus on anything else but my phone, constantly checking for a missed call or a text. Without her, I felt like my whole world had been turned upside down, and as time passed without a response, I couldn’t help myself from wondering about what could have been. 


The author's comments:

This piece is being submitted in hopes of gaining some practice getting my writing out there, hoping to reach new audiences.