Love On the Rocks | Teen Ink

Love On the Rocks

By Nikki_G GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Nikki_G GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts

"And cut!" Shouted the director. "That's a wrap! Good job today, but you can all be better! So go home, practice, and rest! I'll see you all bright and early tomorrow for the first show!"

Packing up her bag, Melinda glanced around the room.

"Where is he?" she whispered to herself. "He told me he'd meet me here after rehearsal."

Stuffing her last ballet slipper into her duffel bag, Melinda swung it over her shoulder and began out of the auditorium.

"I can't believe he did this to me again," she thought to herself as she let the door skip closed on its own.
• ~ •

"Hey! How was your day?" Drew's computer chirped as his message was sent.

Melinda glided her mouse over to the small red box on the top of the chat window that had just appeared.

Waiting a few minutes before resending his message, Drew glanced at his buddy list. Scrolling down to xxgottaluvmexx he double clicked and started typing; momentarily forgetting about midgetmelinda.

"Hey Courtney! You were amazing in rehearsal today!" he chirped over to xxgottaluvmexx. Then realizing he hadn't received a reply from Melinda, he scrolled back to the top of his buddy list and double clicked on her name.

"Melinda?" he sent.

With a deep sigh, Melinda clicked on the chat window from XlovemedeadX.

"What the hell do you want??" She typed into the small box, but before hitting the return key to send it, she thought better of it and deleted her message.

"Hi." She decided to send instead.
•••••

"Oh hey Drew! Thanks! You were great too!" Drew's computer pinged in, as Courtney replied.

"Not nearly as great as you! But thanks anyways!" He argued as he chirped back. Talking to Melinda and Courtney at the same time was challenging but being that he could sense the tension with Melinda, he decided to focus on talking to Courtney instead.

"Haha I'm not really up for arguing with you Drew," Courtney laughed as she typed.

"Good! Then I win by forgeit! =]" Drew gloated.

"haha surreee I guess so. lol so how are you?" She asked, trying to change the subject.

"I'm good thanks!" Drew replied with a glance over at Melinda's chat. "How are you?"

"I'm pretty good. Just tired I guess." Courtney hinted.

"Oh...are you sure? Do you want to talk about it? I'm here for you," stated Drew sincerely, holding his breath while waiting for her answer.

"Oh, no thanks...umm it's a long story. I'm fine. Besides - isn't Melinda on? You should talk to her... I'm getting off anyways. Thanks tho!" Drew's computer pings again, his heart falling as he read her message.

"No problem! I'm always here for you Courtney! But have a good night! I'll see you tomorrow at the show!"

"Right! Okay, thanks. You too. See you then! Night Drew." Courtney's computer chirped as she sent her good-bye.

"Good-night Courtney."

Saving the chat, Drew closed the window and opened up Melinda's again, her "Hi." still waiting for a reply.
•••••

"Hey! How was your day?" he enthusiastically typed.

"Just dandy." Melinda chirped.

"That's great! Right?" Drew bubbled.

"Not really-" she sent, starting to type why; Drew decided to reply first - not acknowledging her message.

"My day was great! We had a sub in english and we watched a movie in history. Then we had rehearsal, but after rehearsal Dillon, Charlie, Jeff, Sarah, John, Mary, and I went to get ice cream. It was HILARIOUS!" Melinda read, deleting the message she had planned on sending him.

"Good for you." She sends, hoping to get her point across.

"I know right?! I had a blast! You should have come!" Drew continued to bubble into his chat.

"I wasn't invited." Melinda sent blatantly, closing the window hoping that he'd just shut up for once.

"Well it was great!" popped up Drew's screen name, XlovemedeadX. "Anywayssss," he prolonged. "I'm gunna go. ttyl!" his chat chirped on Melinda's screen. Before she could reply to say "bye," a message popped up in faint grey lettering.

"This user is currently offline," it read.

Fan-freakin-tastic she thought to herself.

Nikki_G GOLD said...
You never know!!! What part of VT are you from? ^_^

Nikki_G GOLD said...
Thank you for the note!! I'll definitely reconsider that next time! Thank you again!

Zuccini75 BRONZE, Chantilly, Virginia

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder, than telling them yourself."
-Myself

Good use of the computers - but there was a lot of chirping, other than that it was a great piece!

russianreader BRONZE, Charlotte, Vermont

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best."

lolz...that would be funny...but probably not...i mean maybe but its unlikely!

Nikki_G GOLD said...
Thank you so much! I'm glad it's relatable! And it's nice to meet a fellow Vermonter on here! I wonder if we've met ;)

I love the use of the chat. I know the feeling you are completely relating. Technology makes certain interactions really difficult and its CRAZY frusterating sometimes. But good job! BTW: I'm from VT too!!!! <3

Nikki_G GOLD said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 9:55 am
Thanks!! :)

Annieboo SILVER, Salt Lake City, Utah

Some one who gets tricked is a fool. Some one who trusts is an even bigger fool. But if you get tricked and tricked again...and still trust...that's makes you the best person to know.

This happens to me so much! It really gets annoying when people don't get what your trying to get across. I liked your scenario and how you wrote it. At one point I kinda got lost on who was doing what, but it was pretty straight forward anyways.

Nikki_G GOLD said...

Sure thing!

Basically, it's about a girl who is having doubts about her boyfriend and their relationship. The story is written in a way so that we can see what Drew is actually doing, and this way we know Melinda isn't just making it all up in her head – she does in fact have a reason to worry.

Does that help?

ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other

"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

Well could you just summarise the plot so i can understand your entire story better

Nikki_G GOLD said...
Will do! Thank you for the compliment and the comment! =)

Nikki_G GOLD said...
anything I can clear up for you?

gogreen1 SILVER, Gretna, Nebraska
NICE job! I liked the whole computer chat idea! Lots of tension goes on over those things :] If you make a sequel please tell me~

ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other

dont really get it

Nikki_G GOLD said...
thank you! I'm flattered that you enjoyed it so much! I'll work on a sequel =)

Kaylin_Mackenzie GOLD, Tomball, Texas

"You might not like me, but Jesus thinks I'm to die for!"
"L.O.V.E's just another word I'll never learn to pronounce...."

i neeeed more!!!!!

Nikki_G GOLD said...
hah thank you! no, not yet. But I'll work on it ^_^

PippinP GOLD said...
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.

I love it!! Pleeease tell me there is a part two? =)

Nikki_G GOLD said...

Thank you so much! This means so much to me!!

I've been told that this is the favorite out of most of my other work here, but let me know what you think :)

.sunshine. said...
.sunshine., Ashtabula, Ohio

"Whatever doesnt kill me makes me stronger"

I liked the story. Im so checking out your other work too. Nice job on this one though!