A Birthday to Remember | Teen Ink

A Birthday to Remember

By EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts
EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about."

The sun shone through my window in threads of light. It shimmered past the frosted window pane and made rainbows on my light blue wall. I looked up at the calendar. The date was December 4. My birthday.

“Megan!!! Come on down. We made breakfast.” My dad called. I put on my fuzzy pink sweatshirt and slipped into my shoes. I stumbled down the carpeted steps and into the soft yellow kitchen. The smell of bacon and eggs filled the kitchen and I breathed in the delicious scent of the crispy bagels my mom was toasting. My dog rubbed up against my leg and I petted her silky blonde coat of fur. I excitedly ate my breakfast and ran up the stairs. I put on my favorite pair of jeans and my blue Hollister shirt. I brushed through my tangled blonde hair and brushed my teeth. I slowly put on some mascara and eyeliner. I picked out a shade of bronze eye shadow and put on my chestnut colored UGG boots.

Suddenly, a knock at the door came and my mom yelled, “Your friends are here.” I searched through my closet and found my pearly white winter jacket. I pushed my arms through the sleeves and I rushed down the stairs. I saw my best friends wave in the doorway. Ben, Julia and Chloe stood there smiling at me.

Chloe ran over to me and screamed, “We are planning a huge birthday party for you!!!” Ben elbowed Chloe in the ribs, “Way to go, you just wrecked our surprise.”
I smiled, “ Now I can tell you what I want for my birthday.” We all started cracking up. Ben came over to me and hugged me tightly. I caught my breath for some odd reason and all I could do was just say, “Thanks.” I hate this. I think I am falling for him, but he is my best friend…. I just can’t do this. Julia linked arms with me and dragged me out the door. Ben grabbed me a hat and Chloe longingly looked after Ben. We all know she likes him but she won’t admit it. As soon as we stepped into the frigid weather, Ben placed the hat on my head and I was grateful for it, otherwise I would have frozen to death. Everyone held onto me as if I was going to slip at any moment and break my arm. Which, knowing me, is very possible.

Tiny snow flakes started to descend from the sky and they whisked past me. One fluttered near me and I tried to catch it on my tongue. They adorned my eyelashes and my straight blonde hair. We walked to a bare field and we sat down. We were in a circle and Ben sat next to me. He started talking about what we should do today but by then everyone had already started to have a snowball fight. He helped me up and then we ran behind a tree to hide from the freezing snowballs that were being thrown at us. He murmured, “Let me check to see where they are.” He peeked out from behind the tree. I saw a snowball coming at us from behind and I screamed, “Ben! Watch out!” I grabbed his hand and pulled him down to the ground. I fell on top of him and I started laughing. I got up and another snowball was headed right towards me, he jumped in front of me and caught it. I giggled, “Nice catch.” He bowed, “Thank you.” “

“Hahaha. Very funny…” I chuckled. Julia came over to me and suggested we leave; it was a little chilly. We decided to get some hot chocolate. My hands were cold so I rubbed them together to keep them warm. Ben saw how cold I was and he intertwined his fingers with mine. It felt good, it felt right… I mumbled, “Thanks…” He nodded but didn’t let go. Julia and Chloe looked at me and just smiled. In Chloe’s eyes, there was a touch of sadness. She’s my best friend, I quarreled in my mind. Megan: Let go of his hand. Chloe likes him. Do you? Just let go, let go…. I slipped my hand out of his grasp and I said, “My hand is warm now, thanks though.” Chloe mouthed the words, ‘You are the best.’ ‘Don’t worry..’ I mouthed.

He looked at me and questioned me. I said, “ It’s nothing.” We trudged through the heaps and piles of snow. We made it up to my house and rang the doorbell. The door was opened by my mom. She told me someone was waiting in the living room. I wandered to the room and Brittany and Nicole were laughing. I tiptoed in and they did not know it was me. They stopped and turned around and when they figured out it was me they rushed at me. They clobbered me and started hugging me.then they pushed me into the kitchen. Julia, Ben and Chloe were already in there and they were gathered around something. They heard us come in and they turned around. “What was that?” I asked. “You’ll see,” Ben replied. They picked it up and I saw it was a huge birthday cake decorated with brightly colored frosting and sprinkles. “Oh my gosh guys, you didn’t have to!! It’s great!!!! I love you guys.” “Your welcome.” Ben laughed. “Told you she would like it.” He told Julia. She shrugged and said, “Let’s eat!” After we managed to eat the whole thing, and had a night filled with fun and games. It was time for them to go home. Nicole, Brittany, Julia and Chloe left with stomachs full of treats. Ben had to go so we hugged goodbye. “Happy Birthday, Megan.” He stepped closer to me and then he kissed me. He ran down the steps and I called after him. He was gone in seconds. This was a birthday to remember…

I dedicate this piece to my best friends...

<3333

Lady T-Bone said...
Summelle I really like the Poem, you put a lot of thought in it!!! Great Job!!!

I did not actually, haha. But, thank you very much!!!!!!!!! :) It means a lot

sloane11 BRONZE, Rock HIll, South Carolina

"Some people walk in the rain, ther's just get wet" - unknown

hey did you ever attend keystone national high school? this is amazing you need to keeo writing!

No, tht's not mean at all.

And thank you soo much for the comment and support, it means a lot. :)

contrygurl BRONZE, Sanbernardino, California

to love and to be loved is lifes greatest joy

wow that waz great but i think that if shes falling for him even though her frnd likes him she should b wit him srry if that sounds mean but thats my opinion

Thnx, Ansie!

<3

Annaxoxo SILVER, Swampscott, Massachusetts
great job..... keep up the great work!

I will. :)

The Reader! said...
Great! Let me know if you add more to your other piece.

Thanks sooo, soooooo much!!!!

Yah, I wanted to write a lot more, like lengthen the part before he has to go but it got to be way over the word limit, so yah.. but thanx a lot, what you said means a lot to me. Thanx! <3

The Reader! said...
You were right! I loved that one. I had a feeling he would kiss her!