Recollections | Teen Ink

Recollections

February 8, 2010
By romance_lover GOLD, Edmonton, Other
romance_lover GOLD, Edmonton, Other
12 articles 0 photos 28 comments

I sat on my small cot, the bag my wife packed me on my lap. I had never particularly looked through it, when I was first shipped out here i didnt want to be distracted by my missing home, but a year was a long time to be away from the ones you loved. I was sick of the dying all around. War wasnt an easy place to be and i wanted a taste of home. I sifted through my small reminders of what life was like before i left. A jar of Florida sand and a picture of the sunset,I still remember the hot sun beating down on us, the kids frantically splashing ad playing in the ocean water,one of my wifes t-shirts was folded neatly underneath.In a side pocket was a picture of my children and a teddy bear,my youngest,Crimson insisted I bring.There was a painting from my oldest son,Isaac,a Brown atendee.We were never a wealthy family,Isaac got into Brown by himself by excelling in Mathmatics,a skill his mother,and I lacked of.Hayden, my middle son was the popular one.His dark black hair and skateboarding skills set off this sort of Aura,at school. Most kids were intimidated by his popular persona, but i knew the real him. Though hes just a month shy of 16 you can still find him snuggled up on the couch with his mom watching an old black and white, his best friend was my 5 year old,Crimson.I smiled and placed the painting on my bedside table. At the bottom of the bag was a note,age lines creased the words. It had clearly been crumpled and straigthened several times. I read it quietly,tears gathering in my eyes. I tucked it under my pillow silently and wiped away the wetness from beneath my lids. I pulled myself together when my name was called over the P.A system. There would be a time to cry,this was not it.I strongly believe that I will do anything it takes for the greater good of my country, even if that means sacraficing myself. I walked out, the people around me with a look of sadness as they watched me go.My life had been lived to the fullest and now it was time, for me to leave.Besides,the note would look beautiful above my grave.