Recollections | Teen Ink

Recollections

By romance_lover GOLD, Edmonton, Other
romance_lover GOLD, Edmonton, Other

I sat on my small cot, the bag my wife packed me on my lap. I had never particularly looked through it, when I was first shipped out here i didnt want to be distracted by my missing home, but a year was a long time to be away from the ones you loved. I was sick of the dying all around. War wasnt an easy place to be and i wanted a taste of home. I sifted through my small reminders of what life was like before i left. A jar of Florida sand and a picture of the sunset,I still remember the hot sun beating down on us, the kids frantically splashing ad playing in the ocean water,one of my wifes t-shirts was folded neatly underneath.In a side pocket was a picture of my children and a teddy bear,my youngest,Crimson insisted I bring.There was a painting from my oldest son,Isaac,a Brown atendee.We were never a wealthy family,Isaac got into Brown by himself by excelling in Mathmatics,a skill his mother,and I lacked of.Hayden, my middle son was the popular one.His dark black hair and skateboarding skills set off this sort of Aura,at school. Most kids were intimidated by his popular persona, but i knew the real him. Though hes just a month shy of 16 you can still find him snuggled up on the couch with his mom watching an old black and white, his best friend was my 5 year old,Crimson.I smiled and placed the painting on my bedside table. At the bottom of the bag was a note,age lines creased the words. It had clearly been crumpled and straigthened several times. I read it quietly,tears gathering in my eyes. I tucked it under my pillow silently and wiped away the wetness from beneath my lids. I pulled myself together when my name was called over the P.A system. There would be a time to cry,this was not it.I strongly believe that I will do anything it takes for the greater good of my country, even if that means sacraficing myself. I walked out, the people around me with a look of sadness as they watched me go.My life had been lived to the fullest and now it was time, for me to leave.Besides,the note would look beautiful above my grave.

Mariah_0.0 SILVER, Peyton, Colorado

Be the change you want to see in the world

WOW! you are an amazing writer i wish i had your skill! :). this story was really sad and amazing, i love how you give your readers a really good visual. it was like i was watching it myself. Good job!

RaeJae BRONZE said...
RaeJae BRONZE, Fayette, Other

In tHe FuTurE eVErYoNe WiLl Be WoRlD FaMoUs FoR 15 MiNutEs...
-AnDy WaRHoL

This is so great-but so sad! it is very good writing! i am currently working on peice similar to this and yours is great!

romance_lover GOLD, Edmonton, Other
Thank you so much! i really do hope it gets published in the magazine as well.

xLpoet SILVER said...
xLpoet SILVER, Bristow, Virginia

"It is not the length of life but the depth of life"- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am Canadian as well even thoufgh I'm not currently living there. It's nice to see more Canadian authors out there. I really like this story. It's deep and it surpises me getting closer to the end. It's beautifully written and I hope it gets published in the magazine. :)

smileyfacesandharts BRONZE, Albertson, New York

Sometimes we talk to ourselves, because nobody else will listen.

OMG, THATS SO SAD!!!!!! its very beautiful though