Lock and Key (Part 1) | Teen Ink

Lock and Key (Part 1)

March 8, 2010
By TheReader SILVER, Avon, Colorado
TheReader SILVER, Avon, Colorado
8 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Go for whatever you want, even if your friends aren't backing you up. "


I walk into my kitchen to grab a snack that I can eat on the way to school.
"Kathrine, if you don't get your a** out of my house I'm going to flip the lid on you."
I rush out of my house with tears in my eyes. If anyone were to find out how my life was at home I would die.
___*___
I walk down the halls and down to my locker. My friends James and Sabrina are waiting for me. I reapplied my make-up and re-did my hair.
"Ready, we are going to be late for class."
"Me and Sabrina have class on the other side of the building." They basically have the same schedual. I think they purposlly switched it.
"Ok. See you at lunch.Bye."
I turn and head down to my class. They just started dating last week, so I'm usually the one who gets really akward being by them.
___*___
I got into my class late. I take a seat in the back. I grab my notebook and doodle in it. I don't need to take notes in this class. Especially if it's health. Jared, the head football player, comes in 5 minutes after me. He makes a stupid excuse and heads to the back. The only spot is behind me.
Jared is my neighbor. His house is right next to me and his bedroom is striaght across. At home we talk to each other on our balconies, but we ignore each other at school, for his reputation. I don't mind. I don't have a need to talk to him during school and bump up my rep.
I was drawing the sky when someone poked me on my arm. I turn and see Jared is trying to get my attention. He passes a note to me.
It reads:
Kathrine,
Will you be up at 10pm? That's when I get home and I need to talk to you.

I reply:
Sure.

I hand it back when no one is watching. The bell rings and I head to lunch. Sabrina and James is waiting at the table. I sit down to an akward silence.
"What's up?"
They look at each other and turn back towards me.
"Kathrine, we need to talk."Sabrina says in a wierd voice.
"About what?"
"Well the thing is with James being on the football team..."I cut her off.
I turned to him,"You got in! Congrats!"
"Thanks." He murmers.
"Kathrine!He's becoming popular and the football team wants us to sit by them during lunch. Sorry but we can't hang out with you anymore." She grabbed James' hand and they were off to the football table. I sat there stunned. I never would've thought my friends would've "dumped me."
___*___
After school I hope in my car and head home. I run up to my room and grab my green money box form under my bed. I have two boxes inside. One for college because my mom isn't going to help, I have 7,576 dollars in it so far. In the other one I have 20,000. I know it's a lot. My dad passed away two years ago and his parents left him money so he wouldn't become poor. Then he gave it to me. If my mother were to find out I would be dead. I've been saving some more money in my bank account. So far I have 5,000. This money is to help me get out of here. I grab 1,000 dollars from the 20g and head to the mall. I don't want to become popluar or need to for the fact, but I just want people to know the real me.
___*___
I have been to ten stores and have boughten 400 dollars worth of clothes. I am becoming hungry and head for the food court. I am walking to the Chinese food, but stop in my tracks. The popular group is hanging out in the food court. I decide it doesn't matter. They don't own the mall. I grab my food and sit down. Chelsea, Jared's girlfriend, walks up to me and sits down across me.
"Kathrine, what are you doing at the mall? I never thought you cared what you wore." She gives me a smirk.
"Um...well," I don't know what to say. Then I decide to stand up for myself. "Do I need to explain myself to you?" I say it loud enough for everyone in her group to hear. I look over at them laughing and see Jared is smiling. I get up and head to Forever 21.
___*___
"Are you coming down for my party?" My friend Lisa asks. She lives 250 miles away from me. After my dad died my mom wanted to move.
"Sure. Can I bring a friend though?"
"Of course."
I miss it there. I was popular. I used to care what I looked like and I had a great boyfriend. Now I heard he is with my ex-best-friend.
___*___
It's 10:00p.m. I head to my balcony with a pad a pencil. I start to draw the sky. Jared comes out of his room with a chair and music. I pick up my head to look at him.
"Hey."
"Hey. What's up?"
"I think I'm going to breakup with Chelsea."
That's what I like about these sort of nights. We are honest with each other and we help each other out.
"Why?"
"I kind of like this other girl."
"Well if you like someone else then breakup with her. Don't lead her on or else she might get mad."
"Hmm..."He thinks. "Anyway, what's been going on with you?"
"My mom is threatining to kick me out, as usual. But of course I have a backup plan. I'm going to go look for a house tomorrow after school."
"Need any help? I was thinking the same. I just need to get away from my dad."
"Sure. But I'm going by the University. I will not be staying in the dorm rooms if I can aford a house."
"Okay. Um, Kathrine?"
"Yeah?"
"You know how I was talking about breaking up with Chelsea?"
"Yup."
"Well the girl I like is..."I cut him off by putting my hands in the air.
"We promised to not say who we like."
"Right." He looked disappointed.
The wind blew my hair behind me and I started drawing again. I could feel him staring at me, but didn't want to catch his eye and have an akward moment.

To be continued...


The author's comments:
Ever feel like you can only say certain personal things to a certain person?