Flirting With Fractions | Teen Ink

Flirting With Fractions MAG

By aaaaaqweqweqwe SILVER, Somewhere, Illinois
aaaaaqweqweqwe SILVER, Somewhere, Illinois

One-eighth of me, or maybe a tenth, is acutely aware of the approximately 22 inches that separate your shoulder and mine. One casual shift later, I'm four inches closer. I can always just blame it on your magnetic force pulling me in.

One or two-fifths of me is analyzing your body language subtly. Have you inched closer to me, or is it just wishful thinking? I'm simply an academically inclined girl, dull next to your golden shine. The odds are not in my favor.

At least one-fourth of me is wishing something would happen already. There's a fair probability that all this waiting will amount to nothing. Is this all just a waste of time? I hesitate to hypothesize.

A good third of me is now close to hyperventilating. Your arm is brushing mine. Either you moved closer or I did, subconsciously. It could be both.

One-half to three-fourths of me is now debating what to do next. My options are laid out, and for once I have no clue. Why don't they teach us this in school, rather than theorems and formulas and all those facts that I so studiously memorize? There is no logical decision. Logic has gone out the window. What a scary world this is.

It turns out I don't have to decide because suddenly you reach for my hand. Or maybe I reach for yours. The details are unclear at this point.

But 100 percent of me likes it.

:)

smileyface9 SILVER, Meadow Vista, California
I LOVED IT!! :D That was soooooooooooooooo CUTE!! C:

Dayne22 SILVER said...
Dayne22 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"- Leonardo DaVinci "Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are" -Markus Zusak "I'm just trying to be me... Whoever that is" Unknown

awwwwwww...thats so cute :D reminds me of haha me but im not that calculative hahaha :)

bookprincess said...
love the story. i thought it was really cute and creative. my favorite part is the ending

Nutty3,14 BRONZE, Johannesburg, Other

I shall never grow up. Make believe is much too fun.
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

The title is catchy and cute, loved the story and creative influence and the ending is just perfect. :)

Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

Very creative! Your story just inspired me with the missing link that I was needing for this story I'm working on ~thanks :-)

keep writing

awww this is so cute! i like how you did it with fractions and stuff. and that girls right! they should teach you how do deal with those emotions instead of fractions in school! :P

MyLifeAsCupid BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin

"How could an Alice girl like me,
Love a Hatter as mad as you?"

wish my guy friend did that when we walked next to each other in the mall we both like each other, but our parents say we can't date till we're a little older, oh well.

great idea love all of the inches stuff (^-^) fav is that he keeps moving closer to her

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

This was great!  It was unconventional, well-written, and fun to read.  Never stop writing! ~AsIAm

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

The only people for me are the mad ones... the ones who never yawn and say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders against the stars." - Jack Kerouac

Very good!! I really liked the way she relates everything to math.

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

I love this!  Both my parents are college math teachers, so I'm pretty into math, and I love how you incorporated the fractions into your piece.  It was very flowing and smooth, nice and sweet.  Great job.

aMANDA365 BRONZE, Versailles, Indiana

1.No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
- Eleanor Roosevelt
2.I'll get there alive even if it kills me!
- Homer Simpson
3.It's okay to be crazy, but don't be insane.
- P Diddy

interesting lol. i liked it.

sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

This is cute. Good idea too. Very different. I would just take out that part about "logic". Everything was very quirky and straightforward until that. Kind of broke the hidden rhythm behind the story. Very nice job. I liked it a lot.

taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories let up to it, it would always had the last word.

I <3 this! The fractions that continue throughout the entire writing are a great idea. They keep the writing exciting and the writing is great, too! This is an excellent piece! :)

Megaphone1927 SILVER, The Tardis, Tennessee

"If you don't peer into the shadows, you won't see the ghosts."-Flora Segunda

Aw, that was cute! The ending was a little cheesy, but the rest of it was really fun and quirky!

GoodmorningSweetheart BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana

From Thomas the Rhymer:
"O see ye not that narrow road,
So thick beset with thorns and briers?
That is the path of righteousness,
Tho after it but few enquires."

I really enjoyed this piece Banangela. It flowed really nicely despite the use of tedious fractions. However, this seemly flow was broken for me just once.

"Turns out I don't have to decide because suddenly"

This piece is rather like poetry and I feel "Turns out" is a bit too slang-like for the rest of it. I feel the whole part I quoted can be simply removed.

Otherwise this was lovely.

Thanks so much for the encouragement !

Thank you for commenting on my work, I appreciate it ! :)

roxymutt BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. -David Henry Thoreau

hha yet again you make me love ur writing! this was probably the coolest way to describe things we all go through...i dont do theroms but i sure do try to figure out the subtle details of the guy i like :) that was great i loved the emotions keep it up

Spectacles SILVER, Grass Valley, Oregon

"It is not your abilities that make you who you are, it is what you use them for."

Really really good, It was sweet and shy and adventurous, and very well written.

Soccergirl1418 BRONZE, Hubbard, Oregon
This is really good and interesting! Good job!