A Summer To Die For ch. 4 pt. 2 | Teen Ink

A Summer To Die For ch. 4 pt. 2

June 18, 2010
By taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky
taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky
13 articles 0 photos 152 comments

Favorite Quote:
If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories let up to it, it would always had the last word.


“Matt Young, he lives next to my aunt. He and Melissa broke up the day before she went missing and when we were talking last night, we just sort of connected. Oh, and he’s 20 years old.”
I could tell by the way Teagan laughed that she wasn’t sober. But then she looked over at me, her eyes filled with a deep emotion, maybe wrath, and said, “stay away from him.” Then she walked away, laughing at someone else. Her look and words sent chills down my spice. All in all, it was very intimidating.
matt found me. “What were you going to tell me?”
“Un,” What was it? Oh, yeah. “Get the word out that we’re together, okay? People keep giving me looks and calling me names. Just make sure some people know.”
He kissed me on the forehead and started yelling so people could hear him. “Okay! I want you all to listen! Melissa and I broke up the day before she went missing! No, I didn’t do it, but I want you all to stop giving my Leslie dirty looks and calling her names! She is innocent, so leave her alone! Everyone hear?”
Something inside me got all fuzzy when he said ‘my Leslie’. Then I quickly remembered that I was supposed to be getting mad. No! “That was not what I meant!” How dare Matt do something like this! “Why did you do that?”
“I thought you wanted me to tell everyone.” The innocent act again.
“I meant for you to just tell the people who would quickly spread it around. Not, that.”
“Well, I’m sorry.” Then he kissed me, I didn’t kiss him back. “Babe. Come on. Babe. I just don’t want drunk guys all over you. They’re scared of me.” If I was a guy, I’d be scared of him, too.
Whatever, this was enough. Except, I came here with Teagan, how was I supposed to get home? I sighed. “Matt?”
“What?” He was also angry.
“Can you take me home? I came here with Teagan.”
“If you’ll be in a better mood.”
“Fine. I just want to get home.”
He sighed and led me over to his truck. “What’s wrong?” Matt finally said after a few minutes of silence as we passed seemingly endless amounts of road.
“Nothing, now. It’s just, that party was making me crazy. They always do.” I, for some reason, couldn’t make myself tell him about Teagan’s words to me. Whatever was going on/went on, it didn’t matter now. I usually had the opposite thoughts anytime else, but why not trust and just go for it--for once.
Matt put his hand on my leg. “I just want you happy.”
We were still a little out of town and it was before my curfew so I asked, “Do you want to stop?”
“I thought you would never ask.”



* * *



I looked at my watch and it was 1:28. I should go ahead and go. I’m not really trying to repeat last night. “I have to be on Aunt Sadie’s property by 2 and have to be in the house by 4. New rules, and oh, do I like them.”
“Okay. So you just want to hit pause on this?”
“Yeah.” Matt was just genuinely nice and supportive, he didn’t push me.
“Tomorrow we have the family dinner.” He paused, “Do you mind if I work?”
“Yes. I would prefer if you were there.”
He sighed. “I want some more cash for our date Saturday. So we can do some more stuff.”
“Well,” I couldn’t say no. But I also knew he had plenty of money. A single guy making twenty-three dollars an hour, that was more than enough. “I’ll meet you parents alone then.”
“I’ll be there.”
“That’s what I thought.” I guess I really did have a way with words.



After I’d waken up this morning I wondered how Matt ever dragged himself out of bed then worked after out late nights. No clue, I couldn’t do it. I think Matt had to work today, I wasn’t sure. He’d be here tonight, that was what was important.
But more importantly, what was I going to wear? It was 7 o’clock. I had my hair curled and make-up finished. I needed the clothes to finish off the look. I’ll just go raid Aunt Sadie’s closet. Maybe she’ll have something for me to wear.
I’d probably have to have some kind of boring, deep and meaningful conversation with her if I borrowed something, but there was no other choice. My Uncle Mike was the cook, so she would still be getting ready.
“Aunt Sadie?”
“Yes?” She was still curling her hair.
“Do you have something I could wear?”
“Mmm-hmm, well, probably.” Aunt Sadie sat her iron on the counter and walked into the closet laughing. “Have to look good for Matt.”
“Hey,” I said a little too defensively, “I am meeting his parents.”
“Oh, I forgot.” She laughed even harder, she hadn’t forgotten. “Come on in!”
“Wow.” This wasn’t their closet, this was her closet. It was filled with all colors of dresses, shirts, skirts, coats, shoes, and any other imaginable articles of clothing. “You are a shopaholic!”
“Were a shopaholic. Before I met mike I was.” She searched a little more. “You and Matt seem to be, um, moving along quite fast.”
“I don’t know, Aunt Sadie. It’s summer and I’m looking for a good time. I came here to get my mind off of Allen and return to my old self. Matt just is what I’m looking for. I mean, for me it’s just a little summer fling.” Aunt Sadie handed me a beautiful black cocktail dress that was strapless. The dress was truly divine. Matt would love it.
“Thanks so much Aunt Sadie!” She gave me a hug.
“That’s what it seems like now, but don’t get caught up with just him. It’s a fling until you have some actual feelings that will make you worse off when you leave here than when you came. Remember that.” She gave me some more parting advice and I left to finish getting ready. There was no time to be nervous now.


The author's comments:
This is chapter four part two of my 'A Summer To Die For' novel. :)