Kiss of Life | Teen Ink

Kiss of Life

By NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

“Recitorru Lieff”

He uttered the immortal incantation. Years of practice, wells of skill, and fully developed talent flowed from his tongue into the words. There was silence for a few moments after he spoke. He waited; waited to see the stiff body before him open its eyes. He longed to see her eyelids flourish apart. He fantasized about her lashes slowly batting awake, about seeing her malachite green eyes fill with life- with love.
Years of practice, wells of skill, and fully developed talent were not enough to make his dream come true.

“Recitorru Lieff”

This time, he spoke the words as a command. “Give her back her life, he thought, give her back her life, and give me back mine.” His heart was pounding in fits, unaccustomed to beating without her heart doing the same. His soul was at a loss, contemplating the meaning of existence if it couldn’t have its mate.
But her body lay there, motionless. Her eyelids not aflutter, her chest neither rose nor fell.

“Recitorru Lieff”

Now, it was clear he was begging. Begging for her to come back. In fact, his voice had quivered. Now the incantation had become a desperate plea, with an edge of fear. “What will happen if she does not come back?” He wondered, “the sun may rise, but it will shed only darkness. The fire will burn, but emit only bitter cold.” Another desperately hopeful moment passed, but her body still remained a mere shell.
Why would the spell not work? He could feel the magic leave his lips- but why would the words not carry it on? Why would they not breathe life into her?
“Why doesn’t matter,” he decided, “the words cannot carry out the deed, but nevertheless, it simply must be done.” He buried his face in his hands, mind plunged in frantic thought: “How?”
His lips could see the magic off into the words- but they needed to see the magic off into her. Bending over, his trembling lips met her still, cold ones. Magic surged through his lips into her mouth.

“Recitorru Lieff, Recitorru Lieff, Recitorru Lieff,” he thought- commanded, pleaded, demanded.
And the magic obeyed.
Her lashes batted, eyelids flourished, and gem-like eyes were in view. His hearts and hers beat harmoniously, with their rhythms intertwined once more. Their lips stayed locked, their passion growing more intense with each passing kiss. He slipped his hand into hers and in that second, she smiled.

... not my favorite piece of writing. It's gooey and I'm not a romantic-story person. But one way or another, in a very, very off moment of mine, I wrote it, so here it is...

AshTree SILVER said...
AshTree SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee

"Live your art" -made this one up myself. Simple, but true.

I like this though after reading some of your other stuff I was a little disappointed. I like the happy ending I just wish  you built up to it a little more - maybe a flashback or what if he thought it was his fault or he accidentally killed her. It just feels like it's missing something. Anyway, keep writing cause  I think you're really good at it.

Phoenix97 PLATINUM, Minneapolis, Minnesota

See lyrics to "Let the Waters Rise" by MIKESCHAIR and "Everything" by Lifehouse

I agree with apocalyptigirl on the grammar stuff. Aside from that, I liked this one. I didn't love it, like I did "The Encounter," but it was good. I'm glad that you gave it a happy ending. About half way through, I was afraid that you would give it a sad ending to be "dramatic" or whatever, like a lot of the stories on here. The happy ending was nice because it didn't load down the sweet storyline with excess tragedy.

apocalyptigirl BRONZE, Staunton, Virginia

"DON'T PANIC." ~from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Aww. I was happy to see a happy ending. :) Some grammar things are bugging me, though. Please could you punctuate "Recitorru Lieff"? An exclamation point, a period, a question mark, or ellipses ("...") can all show different emotions. About punctuation in general, especially dialogue: diaolgue tags (he said, etc.) should not be capitalized. There should be a comma before the " at the end of a dialogue. To use an example from your story: "Give her back her life," he thought. "Give her back her life, and give me back mine." And I would prefer it if your dashes had -- dash marks instead of one. :) This was quite good, really, a bit corny/necrophilia lol and I'd change the title to something less cliche but really, I liked it. :)

on Sep. 23 2010 at 5:41 am

Can you point out the typo?  I've read this ting over 1000 and a half times, but probably missed the typo for that very reason lol :)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

The Good:  I liked this!  It was very unique, and well written.  And it wasn't THAT gooey! :)

The Bad: One typo!

The Random: Cute!

J7X