Running & Other Drugs | Teen Ink

Running & Other Drugs

By writingluver812 SILVER, Hudsonville, Michigan
writingluver812 SILVER, Hudsonville, Michigan
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

you never know what you're capable of until you actually try.

Our daily walk together consisted of him talking about his day and me taking pictures while trying to control our Yellow Lab. Whatever had happened that day I knew I’d be able to count on Daniel to walk with me. Some days we’d run, others a casual walk. I, personally, liked the days we’d run. It was my way of connecting with him without talking.

Our breathing was both heavy and our foreheads glistened with sweat. These were the days I hoped for, and usually lived for. Daniel was usually the one to ask to walk or run, but I would never say no. He always said it would be in my best interest to get out of our apartment and I agreed.

Central Park was our place. It was the one and only place I would run. The beauty within the park had always fascinated me and being a photographer I had the privilege of enjoying the beauty of the park and also working. Although, I could only work on the days we walked. The best part about running in Central Park was the people. New York is filled with every type of person imaginable. It also helped to show off my husband. Some days I would look at him and it would take a slap in the face to realize he was mine. I’m sure when people looked at us they didn’t believe we were actually married. I, too, could barely believe it. People could tell we were only in college, and both of us wore a ring on our finger, but age didn’t mean a thing.

I watch Daniel jog. His high cheek bones were glistening in the sun from sweating, his bright blue eyes were looking straight ahead, his tan, muscular arms, held up to his chest, were moving back and forth. The white muscle shirt he wore could make every girl in the world jealous.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” he chuckled, his eyes still looking straight ahead. I still didn’t take my eyes off of him.

“Just thinking about how amazing you are and how lucky I am to have you.” I chuckled realizing how terribly cheesy I was sounding. Daniel finally looked at me and my heart skipped once I saw his bright blue eyes look into mine.

“Emma,” he stopped me and touched my clammy, sweaty cheek. At first it was uncomfortable, but it changed once he told me what he needed to say, “I think the same thing about you every single day of my life.” I could hear the honesty in his voice. He swallowed and continued. “You want to know the real reason I asked you to marry me?” I looked at the silver ring on my left hand and nodded. “Because I was scared someone else would steal you from me. I wanted to make you mine forever. And to know no one else could have you.” My eyes began to water. I smiled and hugged him.

Together we walked hand in hand for the rest of the way back to our apartment.

I love Central Park and running, so I thought I would combine the too into a love story! I'm not too fond of the title, but hey, I love the story. I hope you like it too. (: