I Never Got To Tell You... | Teen Ink

I Never Got To Tell You...

By BarefootInTheWoods SILVER, New Salisbury, Indiana
BarefootInTheWoods SILVER, New Salisbury, Indiana

"Demon Pox!" ~Will Herondale

"I need to tell you something." I said. We were driving down the road in your black Camaro. It was late, around 11:30 on a Saturday night. "What is it, Baby?" you asked. Thunder crashed in the sky. It started to rain. Water poured down the glass in huge streams. "Baby? What's wrong?" you asked, when you looked over and saw that my face mirrored the windows. That split-second was all it took. Your eyes left the road. We hit a slick spot on the soaked road. The car spun. You did everything you could to try to stop it, but it was too late. You grabbed my hand, and yelled "I love you!" The car flipped. Once, twice, three times before stopping on its roof.

When I woke up, I was in a soft bed. I heard something beeping softly. "Thank god, you're awake." I heard from across the room. At first, I thought it was you. But it was just my mom. "Where am I?" I asked. "You're in the hospital, honey. You and Delaney were in a car accident." She said. "Where's Delaney? Is he okay?" I asked, forgetting about myself. She looked down at me, her eyes shining with tears. "Shay..." She whispered. And I knew. "No. Momma. Tell me it's not true." I choaked out. "Oh, Shay. I wish I could." She said sadly. I broke down and sobbed. I cried until I couldn't breath, then I cried some more. I was sedated by a pretty nurse that had tears in her eyes when she looked at me. When I came out of my drug-induced haze, the doctor was in the room. "Doctor?" I whispered. He looked at me. "What happened? During the crash? Why did I live?" I asked. He took off his glasses, and rubbed a hand over his face. "Shay, I saw the photos of the car, from before and after they got you out. Delaney was on top of you. You could tell that he hadn't been tossed there by the crash. He saved you, Shay. If he hadn't done that, you'd be dead." the doctor said. He got up to leave. "Oh, Shay? I didn't tell your mom about your condition. I thought you'd like to do that yourself." he said. I knodded.

I never got to tell you. I was about to, then everything went wrong. I'm pregnant. It's a boy. I'm going to name him Delaney, after you. And one day, when he asks me what kind of man you were, I'll tell him how much I loved you. I'll tell him what kind of man you were. I'll tell him how you saved my life, and, without even knowing it, his. I'll tell him all the things I never got to tell you.

Never wait...