Head Over Heels | Teen Ink

Head Over Heels

June 12, 2011
By TheSecretWriter SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
TheSecretWriter SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 15 comments

So. This is it. The Valentine’s Party of the season.
Right foot, left foot, head up, shoulders back.
Smile like you were just told you are beautiful.
Glance around like you already know what’s going on.
Flip hair over shoulder. Think about how adorable your LBD and hot pink heels make you look. Think about how gorgeous you will look coming down the stairs, even though Evan isn’t with you. Wave to Marsha and Kent, Shirley and Daniel, Katie and Charlie, and everyone else in the front room.
See? You so don’t need Evan to make you hot.
Hmmm… Wonder what he is doing tonight? Did he ask out that Wendy girl who looks like a rodeo clown with all her makeup?
Oh, Who cares! You can fall someone else to fall head in love with. You are just seventeen. You will be fine. Even if he did break your heart so terribly you can never love again.
Or maybe he asked June Hastings? She is so phony. And desperate too. He could do so much better. Like me, for instance.
No! Stay focused, self. You are not going back there.
Ooh! Lynn has a cute dress. Oooh! And an even cuter date.
“Psst! Lynn! Cute dress. Really cute date.”
Sigh. Evan would have been such a cute date. He always was…
No! don’t think about him. Right foot, left foot, that’s right. Act confident. After all, it’s a girl’s best accessory.
And over there is Agnes and Angie Benton with Brett and Tyler Matthews. Freaky, isn’t it, how two sets of twins are dating each other? “It’s like cloned couples or something,” Evan would say. Tell them hi.
“Hi guys!”
Am I the only one here without a date? Am I the single single person here?
Oh who cares! Focus, Jane. Think about your cute pink headband with the big floppy bow, and how it perfectly matches your heels and compliments your complexion. Think about how cute it is. Think about how you are just as special and awesome without Evan as you were with him.
Or just don’t think about him period. Maybe you should try that. Because if you think about him you will cry. And you can’t do that here. Just keep walking. Going through rooms. Telling people hi. Going to the door that leads to the back porch. You can’t cry till you are in the secret arbor in the rose garden.
Keep smiling. Smile you won the lottery. Or a pink convertible Camaro.
Yes, a very fixed up Camaro. With a double hood scoop. Evan said a double hood scoop meant it was fast, and think how much fun it would be to leave his GT in the dust. It only has one hood scoop.
Not that it matters. Because you don’t care about him anymore.
Now think about how cute the doorway to the porch is, with all the pink and red and tinsel and heart balloons framing it. Think about how you will so not look like a single loser, when everyone down on the patio sees you silhouetted in it.
What are you thinking, Jane? You are not a single loser. You really aren’t. Really. Probably. You’re just… a single girl who used to date a really awesome guy. Who turned out to not be so awesome after all. I mean, any guy who tells a girl he loves her, then turns around and dumps her, because he wants to “either be in love or single on the great V-day,” is so not worth missing.
Even if I really did believe he loved me.
Stop, Jane. Get those thoughts away. Here’s the doorway. Now pause for a second in it. Let the light frame you, emphasizing your figure and highlighting your honey-colored hair, making it look almost golden. And quickly figure the fastest way to the rose garden before you start into the crowd. Look calm. Smile like that cute guy at the bottom of the stairs was single and wanted to meet you.
Now start walking. Across the porch, one step, two steps, three steps, four, five, six, seven… Now start down the stairs. Stomach in, head up. Don’t let your heel get caught in the crack between the boards on the stairs. Walk like you have somewhere to be, but they won’t care if you keep them waiting.
Oh dear! Cute Guy has turned and is looking at me. Eek!
Sigh, he just gets hotter and hotter with each step closer.
Wha…? No way. He is walking up the stairs and it’s definitely towards me. Does this mean he wants to meet me? Is my hair frizzing? Is he single? Is he going to walk right by? Maybe he sees someone behind me he wants to talk to. Just focus on that big inflatable pillar that says “love” at the bottom of the stairs.
“Hi, I’m Charlie. I don’t think we’ve met?”
Ahhh! He does want to meet me! Calm down, calm down, he is probably just being nice. No way would a guy like this be single.
“Yeah, I’m Jane. I mean no! I mean yes, yes that no I don’t think we’ve met.” Genius, Jane. Pure genius. Who would guess you actually got an A in that public speaking class?
“Yeah, I’m kinda new here, so I don’t know really anybody. Well, except for Brett and Tyler Matthews, but I lost them in the crowd.”
“Oh, them. They’re inside. But what about your girlfriend?”
I can’t believe I actually said that.
“Yeah, well she dumped me when I moved. So… you want to get some punch or something? Or are you looking for your boyfriend?”
“Punch would be great. And my boyfriend? Nonexistent.” Nicely done, Jane. Now walk down the stairs with him like you aren’t freaking out. Like you are totally unaware that every girl on the porch and patio both, is watching you walking with him. Walk gracefully and think of something witty and intelligent to say. And watch those heels…
“Ahh!” Ahhh! Stairs coming at me! Charlie diving in front of me! Charlie diving in front of me?
“Omfh.”
“Squeak.”
Squeak? Uh-oh. That would be the inflatable “love” pillar.
“Whoa, you okay?
I tried to catch you, but we kinda came down head over heels.”
“Uh,” so much for intelligent talking. Charlie is pinned under me, the inflatable “love” is under him, and I my pride is smashed somewhere under both of them. And then I find my witty comment:
“Well, I always knew I would fall head over heels into love someday, but I never thought it would happen quite like this!”



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 21 comments.


on Jun. 30 2011 at 12:48 pm
prettylittlewriter BRONZE, Villa Park, California
2 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
These violent delights have violent ends.

I think this story was humerous and cute. This is a story I would go to when I have an embarassing moment

on Jun. 29 2011 at 6:07 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

That's cool! Thanks!

on Jun. 28 2011 at 8:23 pm
TheSecretWriter SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Thanks so much!  And I think you can click on my username at the top of the page to get emails when I post stuff...  I don't really know of any way I can tell you directly.

And thanks for getting my username...  I guess everyone has a secret and since writing is mine the name just fit.


on Jun. 28 2011 at 7:26 pm
JadedDreamer14 GOLD, Rockmart, Georgia
15 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't write your name in the sand, Waves will wash it away
Don't write your name in the sky, Wind may blow it away

Write your name in the hearts of the people you come in touch with.
That's Where it will stay

I love the way the name is intertwined into the story

 


on Jun. 27 2011 at 10:22 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

By the way, I like your username too! I think it is very creative.  :)

on Jun. 27 2011 at 10:19 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great job, that was pretty good! I liked it! :) Keep writing more stories and let me know when they are on here so I can read them.  Again, great job!

on Jun. 27 2011 at 9:50 pm
Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri
21 articles 0 photos 78 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

Haha, that was great! I litterally laughed out loud!!

on Jun. 27 2011 at 8:06 pm
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho
109 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

I can already see this in the mag. Cute, witty, sassy, fun, romantic and real. I love it. *favorites*

on Jun. 27 2011 at 8:40 am
Grace4297 BRONZE, McLean, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Heads I win, tails you lose."

Hahaha i loved the end!!! Keep on writing, great story!!

on Jun. 25 2011 at 10:20 pm
Warm_My_Heart GOLD, My City, Other
13 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
Leo F. Buscaglia

This had a nicely composed story and conclusion. It made me smile after reading it. Nice job!

on Jun. 25 2011 at 12:53 am
booklover104 BRONZE, Stockton, California
4 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have a couple of quotes i like... \"Success is not a doorway it\'s a staircase\"
2. \"Everything happens for a reason\"
3.\"Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have\"-Thomas Edison

haha!!! i loved it, especailly the ending, witty and a happy ending. Good Job!! =)

on Jun. 24 2011 at 10:50 pm
TheSecretWriter SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 15 comments
Thanks for the comment about possibly making it a book...  I have been seriously considering doing that, posting it one section at a time.  But of course I wanted to post the first part and see if anone liked it before I worried about the rest.

on Jun. 24 2011 at 10:47 pm
TheSecretWriter SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 15 comments
Thks so much for all the comments everyone!  I am so glad to hear what y'all think, as this is the first thing I have posted on here and I was really nervous and afraid it no one would like it.  :)

on Jun. 24 2011 at 10:18 pm
bluebonnet BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

That was so cute! It was funny, but realistic. You have an amazing voice that really shines through.

on Jun. 24 2011 at 2:31 pm
introducingshelby GOLD, San Diego, California
15 articles 1 photo 139 comments

Favorite Quote:
"People change so you can learn to let go, things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they go right, and things fall apart so better things can fall together."
-Marilyn Monroe

Buahaha[x
Clever ending. I was laughing throughout the story, with her thoughts that ran through her head... But the end was killer! Love, love love..

Serendipity said...
on Jun. 24 2011 at 1:42 pm
This was amazing!! I love your style of writing :) amazing job! Keep writing and I really want to know what happens next! Could totally be a book! I'd read it!

on Jun. 23 2011 at 6:38 pm
Leena7395 SILVER, Spring Grove, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 80 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you are because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

Cute little story :) I like this!

on Jun. 23 2011 at 6:36 pm
Kat4ever333 GOLD, Orange, California
14 articles 35 photos 104 comments

Favorite Quote:
I make dark things beautiful and beautiful things dark!
-Kerli I.L.U

that was really cute and i can totally relate. my bf dumped me right before this huge valentines day party but he was at the party dancing with my best friend

on Jun. 22 2011 at 6:58 pm
bunbun74 SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 36 comments

that was really well written. great job. i really liked it

 


on Jun. 22 2011 at 2:41 pm
Brayaparis BRONZE, Amboy, Washington
3 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is not measured my the breaths we take but, by the moments that take our breath away.

This is really cute(:
you know the character really well by the end and the discription is perfect.