Sea Glass: Chapter 4 | Teen Ink

Sea Glass: Chapter 4

June 3, 2011
By emmernemmer PLATINUM, Stockton, California
emmernemmer PLATINUM, Stockton, California
25 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"the pen is mightier than the sword"


Chapter 4:
Something Rotten in the State of Denmark



So we stood there, on that raining day, watching Susan find her long lost crush (Peter soaking wet) and then Peter says,

“I guess no one’s going to care about my day, huh?” We all burst out laughing. So Sally brought him some cake and I brought him over to the counter and asked him what was wrong. Before he began to talk he shook his hair like a dog.

“So did you walk from your house?” I asked. He shook his head.

“No,” He sighed, “just from my car.” I laughed.

“No way.” He nodded. “So what’s up?” I asked.

“Mom’s pregnant again.” I stared at him open-mouthed. He had two sisters already. One older and a lawyer and one younger, who was five.

“What?” I said. He nodded.

“Why?” He shrugged.

“She and dad just want another one. Apparently they discussed it with Sarah. Not me.” Sarah, being the successful lawyer, was the favorite child.

“Well maybe it will be a boy. Someone who will look up to you.”

“Yeah. But the thing that bothers me the most is that they asked the perfect child because she’s a lawyer and not me because I want to be an actor, not a lawyer.” I shrugged.

“It will be okay.” He smiled halfheartedly.

“I know. Parents suck.” I laughed.

“Yeah, sometimes they do.” He nodded happily.

***


Susan came with Vanessa and I back to my house, it was still raining. Once we were up in my room Susan curled up in a ball on my window seat, staring sadly outside the window. I pulled my 6th grade yearbook off my shelf. I flipped to Mr. Zorms (weird name right?) 5th grade class.

Next to the school pictures for that class there were the ones for the whole 5th grade. In one of them stood Josh and Susan with their arms around each other, with huge grins. I showed it to Vanessa without disturbing Susan. I scanned the photo and printed it out as quietly as possible. I gave it to Susan and she smiled. Tears were already brimming in her eyes. Then, out of all the times in the world, my phone vibrated. It was Peter.


Peter- Hey H. How’s Susan?

Hailey- almost cryin. It helped a little when I found a pic of her and J. The 1 in the 6th grade yb.

Peter- Oh I remember tht 1. I got J’s #. U want it so u can get him 2 tlk 2 S?

Hailey- Great idea! How come I didnt think of tht?

Peter- idk. Im a genius rite?

Hailey- ya u r ?

Peter- K. Here it is.


He texted me Josh’s number to me. I said I was going to the bathroom. But instead I sat in the hallway and texted him. He replied instantly.

Josh- Hey. Tell S im srry bout shocking her @ Livery’s. I kno she thought I was some creepy flirt.

Hailey- Shes ok. Sort of. U need 2 tlk 2 her!

Josh- She wont tlk 2 me.

Hailey- Yes she will. Call rite now and Ill give her the fone. Ok?

Josh- Fine. 1 sec


He called and I handed it to Susan when I went back into the room. She looked at me for a second then took the phone. When she heard his voice she almost hung up but I made her keep talking. Soon she was whispering. I went through my iphoto library and selected pictures I liked and put them in an album for a slideshow I’ll make later.

When she hung up she smiled and I laughed in spite of myself. She glared at me and I smiled.

“That went well.” I said. She just handed my phone back and went back to staring out my window. But now she had a small smile on her face. I smiled knowingly at Vanessa and she rolled her eyes at Susan. I laughed. Susan didn’t notice.

***