Excerpt from Screenplay Girl | Teen Ink

Excerpt from Screenplay Girl

August 4, 2011
By baumshell DIAMOND, Burbank, California
baumshell DIAMOND, Burbank, California
68 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was thinking how nothing lasts and what a shame that is."-Benjamin Button


Scene Five

(At a restaurant on Hollywood Blvd., NICHOLAS and ALICIA wait at a table for MICHELLE. MICHELLE walks in wearing a red dress, she sees NICHOLAS. She goes into monologue)






MICHELLE

There he was, and to me he is the only man in the room. I forgot about his wife, I hadn’t been this happy in the longest time.

(A man comes up behind MICHELLE and she looks back at him, NICHOLAS looks confused. MICHELLE and the man walk over to NICHOLAS and ALICIA. MICHELLE extends her arm out to shake hands with ALICIA)


MICHELLE

Hi, you must be Alicia. It’s a pleasure to meet you.



(MICHELLE turns to the man by her side)



This is Freddie…my fiancé.



(There’s a pause and NICHOLAS goes into monologue, shocked)



NICHOLAS

I found out that night. She was getting married in six months to this doctor she met in the Peace Corps. He was from LA and that’s why she came back, to get married. Would she ever be mine?




Scene Six

(Inside NICHOLAS and ALICIA’s kitchen, NICHOLAS and ALICIA are silent)



ALICIA

So, what was that?


NICHOLAS

What was what?

ALICIA

You drag me along to see an ‘old friend’ and all you do is look at her, listen to her, lean into her. Who is she?



NICHOLAS

She’s an old friend.


ALICIA

Old friend, my ass! Old girlfriend possibly?



NICHOLAS

Not exactly…


ALICIA

Not exactly? Then what is she? More than that? Don’t tell me. Don’t tell me that she is that girl you met fifteen years ago who left you for New York! That girl who you would practically whine about when I first met you, you’re first love, you’re long lost love! Don’t tell me that is her, the girl you want but can’t have, don’t tell me that’s her!



(ALICIA begins to cry)

NICHOLAS

Alicia, that was a long time ago.

(ALICIA slams her hand on the counter)

ALICIA

No! I saw the way you looked at her, as if she is was the only woman in the room. You want her. You love her! I’m not going to settle for second best! I don’t deserve to be second! I’m not supposed to be second! I’m your wife!


NICHOLAS

I know.


Scene Seven

(A week later in a coffee house on Sunset, MICHELLE sits at a table, waiting for NICHOLAS. He walks in and sits down next to her)



MICHELLE

I’m so happy you could meet me. I was wondering when I was going to see you next.


NICHOLAS

You just lead me on, Michelle. You didn’t tell me you were engaged.


MICHELLE

You didn’t tell me you were engaged three years ago, I found out through Facebook.

NICHOLAS

That’s different.

MICHELLE

So what? So what does it matter anyway? You’re married.


NICHOLAS

I waited fifteen years for you…



(MICHELLE touches his hand)

MICHELLE

And now I’m here…


NICHOLAS

You’re here. You’re home. You’re supposed to be with…


MICHELLE

You.


NICHOLAS

It’s taken over my whole life, Michelle. I thought I could be without you, but seeing you now…you’re all I want.

MICHELLE

Be with me then. I’m here now. I’ll stay.


NICHOLAS

Promises.

MICHELLE

What?

NICHOLAS

Promises. Promises made in vain.


MICHELLE

Nicholas, look at me. I’m here to stay.



(NICHOLAS sits back and looks out the window, his lips pursed)


NICHOLAS

You’re engaged.

MICHELLE

He’s not you-!

(NICHOLAS interrupts)

NICHOLAS

Alicia’s pregnant.

(MICHELLE bites her lip)


MICHELLE

Congratulations.

NICHOLAS

She wasn’t supposed to have a baby, the doctors said she couldn’t have a baby. And now, now! She’s having a baby! I waited fifteen years, god damn it, I waited fifteen years!

MICHELLE

You’re a good man not to leave her.

NICHOLAS

Don’t say that, just don’t say that.


MICHELLE

But it’s the truth. Your wife is having a baby and I’m getting married. From too soon to too late, now it’s…

NICHOLAS

Don’t say it.


MICHELLE

Now it’s over.



(MICHELLE begins to get up)

NICHOLAS

You were always the one.

MICHELLE

I’m just the one that got away. We can’t have all our dreams come true, Nicholas. Congratulations again on the baby.



(MICHELLE turns, NICHOLAS reaches out his arm and grabs her hand)

NICHOLAS

Every time I see you,…I see in you the summer we had



MICHELLE

Don’t. Don’t make me feel guilty.

NICHOLAS

Guilty?

MICHELLE

Yes! Do you wanna know what I see every time I look at you, Nicholas? I see the life I could have had if I didn’t make those decisions I made years ago. I made this life without you. I made this life for me and don’t you, don’t you make me feel guilty for it! You fell in love with me because I had big dreams, I had ambition, so don’t you dare make me feel guilty for exactly what you love about me! You can have that summer, you can live with that fantasy, and I will take the blame for not making our dream a reality.

Congratulations.



(MICHELLE exits)