Don't let your heart interfere | Teen Ink

Don't let your heart interfere

By Wordartist SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Wordartist SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole thinking its stupid." -Albert Einstein

Being a bounty hunter is always fun. Ready, set aim. Dang missed. Gosh he loves going the hard way doesn't he? Why the crap was Nick sent to do this job? Mr. Mason is a highly skilled assassin and they send the rookie, logical huh? I always have to clean up after him even though this is supposed to be my day off!
"Okay look you're not up against my idiot of a partner; you're going down whether or not you like it."
Mr. Mason decides to pop up behind the old jeep standing in between us. He's against the building and I have my back to the abandoned parking lot.
“Oh I'm aware you're a sexy little thing. Ya know after we're done here I don't have any plans and if you're free....."
Mr. 28 yr. old Jace Mason decided to run out on a hundred thousand dollar bond. That's where I come in, the bounty hunter come to bring him back to sit through his trial. He’s being charged with being an accessory to murder. Personally I believe he didn’t have anything to do with it and his defense attorney……well let’s just say how the crap was he allowed to graduate? Jace has to be innocent, all the evidence clearly states that he had nothing to do with it; and I think the only reason why he’s being charged is because the prosecutor bribed the crime scene investigator. Secretly everyone thinks Allen Cortez was the only one at the crime scene, and he’s the one being charged outright with 1st degree murder. Yet no one has the guts to call the both neither the prosecutor nor the crime scene investigator on it. They have too much say in both of these men’s future for someone to tip it in the favor of a man.
?

“Well sorry to crush your dreams but I think my day and yours as well is quite busy. I mean from getting arrested to getting ready for trial, you’re booked.”
“Eh screw the trial, the freakin’ defense attorney knows as much as the rock beneath my shoe about law. So now you’re keeping tabs on me? Quite blunt huh?” He has this amused expression on his face as if he’s in charge, so as he’s laughing at his own jokes I put away my gun and move towards him.
“You may be amazing at what you do, which I hear you, but I’m not stupid. I also have every intention of getting away today, and proving my innocence.”
“Okay look as long as we’re being honest here, I don’t think you’re guilty.” As of now I’m right in front of him he’s looking at me and I’m looking at him. He has beautiful green eyes and reddish brown hair. Nice full lips………….
“You didn’t hear a word of what I just said?”
“Huhhhh??” Oh crap!
“Hahaha, you’re a cute little thing. I heard you can dance. Is that true?” The next thing I know I’m the one up against the wall, his gorgeous face barely and an inch from mine.
“Look I know what you’re thinking ‘cuz it’s the exact same thing I’m thinkin’. I’m not good enough for you and you know it!”
“So what if I don’t mind a little trouble?” He had me pinned to the wall with his body, every part of me touching some part of him. I know he’s trouble but I won’t give up on him.
Apparently I set something off because his arms come up to either side of my face and his face comes even closer as he roars,” NO!!! Get over me! I don’t care what you think you can handle! I’m being tried for murder! My world does not need a sweet little thing like you to get hurt. I couldn’t let myself live if you got hurt because I gave in to the fact that I really want you. Don’t get me wrong I would protect you with everything I have but someone’s bound to get through at some point. No! It already happened once!” As that comment was made his face became a mask of pain and sorrow and he backed off a little bit. But I closed that distance as soon as it was made. I rested one hand on his chest and the other stroked his face. Automatically his arms wound around my waist and he leaned his face into my hand.
“Do you want to tell me what happened?”
“She was everything to me. She always had been but after they left I, she, they didn’t want anything to do with, with us after they left. She was mine to take care of and she was only three. My sister. Mi Corazon. My parents left us, I was thirteen and she was only three and a year later she was gone! Four years old, beautiful, like you. Strong, independent, I have no idea who you are and you already stole my heart. I’m too wrapped up in trouble for you to be able to be in my life. I can’t even stand the idea of putting someone I love in that kind of position ever again. I’m sorry.” He pulled apart and kissed the back of my hands.
“No.”
That word stung me. No. I wasn’t going to let my heart get in the way of my job though. “Jace Mason you are being charged with skipping trial and the felony of accessory to murder. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law.” I become an emotionless person as I escort him back to jail. Wait no that’s a lie. My heart still aches; I will help him prove himself innocent. Even if that means going against an entire police force and the consequences it will give me.