Secrets of a Pediatrician | Teen Ink

Secrets of a Pediatrician

Tori wrapped her pink, sparkly stethoscope around her neck
Pulled her hair back into her straight, blonde ponytail.
She enthusiastically smiled as she walked into her patients room.
The young 5 year old shook with fear awaiting the news from her doctor
Tori handed her a fluffy blue teddy bear with giant yellow bow.
She told her patient her tests are all clear and she will be home at the end of the week.
Her young patient gave her a huge hug and told her "You are the best doctor out there!"
After ending her day on a good note, Tori folded up her pink scrubs,
Placed her Dr. Dorsen name tag on top of her pile of clothes,
Grabbed her purse, and then signed out for the day.

Tori slowly walked out to her yellow convertible and routinely rolled the top down.
She breathed in the scent of soft lavender freshener and turned on 99.5 to listen to her favorite country station.
As she drove down the calm road she enjoyed the perfect spring breeze.
She hummed softly along to her favorite Jason Aldean song, bringing back many memories.
As Tori turned onto her street she passed her favorite house in the town.
She smiled at her neighbor and stared at the perfectly painted picket fence and flower covered path leading up to the stone house where she pictured in her mind a perfect family.

Tori pulled up into her single-car garage
She walked up the steps into her house to be greeted by her old, lonely gray lab.
As she entered into the kitchen she fed her hungry dog and decided to cook the usual salad and pasta.
Her husband walked through to grab a plate and said a casual “Hello how was your day?”
Tori knew he doesn’t even care how her day actually was, he just asked because its part of his routine.
She softly said “It went well” and walked up into her room to eat her dinner alone on her brown couch.
As Tori crawled into bed after a long day, she pretended not to see the mysterious pair of purple underwear that she knew did not belong to her, and she fell asleep to a cold tear running down her cheek.