It Ended With I Do | Teen Ink

It Ended With I Do

October 31, 2008
By Anonymous

It ended with I do. That’s what I think of every time I think of my first date. It was the perfect night, I thought to myself, remembering my first date with my husband John. It was many years ago but I can still remember every detail with perfect clarity. I was so nervous because it was my first date with John, who I had been in love with for what seemed like an eternity, but it was my first date ever. I spent a long time getting ready, straightening my hair, painting my nails, and going through a million outfits. At about seven, when he was supposed to pick me up, I was finally ready. Before bounding down the stairs, I took one last look in the mirror. “Perfect,” I thought to myself. When I got downstairs, John had arrived and was talking to my parents in the living room. Looking at my parents, I could tell immediately that they liked him, but then again, what’s not to like? He was a strong Christian, a gentleman who was nice to everyone, had a great sense of humor, and great looking. What more could I ask for? I had been good friends with John for years, but it was only a couple days before that we found out we both wanted to be more than friends. Seeing him waiting for me left me breathless. I couldn’t believe it, he liked me as more than a friend! We left shortly after that. He took me to dinner and then to a movie. What we did on our date I realize doesn’t sound all that exciting, but it was to us, two sixteen year olds who were just enjoying talking, and being with each other. It was the perfect night; as perfect as anything in this life can be, everything felt completely magical, like nothing could go wrong! After the movie, he drove to the beach where we walked hand in hand, talking, and taking in the beauty of the scenery. After that, he took me home. I didn’t want it to end, but after that night, we spent time with each other almost every day, at school, church, and in our free time. Then, on my 25th birthday, fifty years ago today, on a walk in the park, he got down on one knee and proposed. Soon after that we were married, and it has been a miracle ever since. Even now as I look at him I feel the same love for him I felt then, and I know it’s a love from God. It hasn’t all been perfect, nothing ever is, but it’s been close. And it all started with that first, perfect date.

The author's comments:
For English this year I had to write a story about my idea of the perfect date and this is it.