Everything Changes | Teen Ink

Everything Changes

November 7, 2014
By Anonymous

I lay in bed waiting for the night to be over. Something just won’t get off my head. I had already studied for the math quiz tomorrow. Maybe, it is because Mary is moving away the following day. Mary Jennings, the lovely, most gorgeous girl I’ve ever seen. The best neighbor who is so sweet and innocent. No, I can’t. I can’t think about her. If someone finds out, we will both be dead. Guess I will just look at her precious face for whatever time I have left until she leaves. I will now go to sleep to get a good rest for tomorrow.
The sun shines brightly like a star at night right through the window. The neighbor’s dog barks so loud that he wakes up the whole neighborhood. I instantly wake up as my alarm goes off to the tune of Halo. It is Mary’s last day. What can I do to have a memorable day of her? I first need to get dress for school and think about all of that on the way there. I stand up to put on a light blue button up shirt and a pair of black jeans. I have to look nice for once.
“Bye Mom, I’ll head off to school. I’ll be home late today since it is the lst day of school before winter break.” I say while grabbing a banana for breakfast. My mom nods and kisses my forehead.
The front of school is empty that the lovely chirpings of the bird could be heard. I am alone waiting for my friends to arrive. Footsteps immediately are pounding against the concrete so forcefully that it feels like an earthquake. A chill runs up my spine. Who could it be? No one comes this early. Only me. The person is inching closer every second that makes me feel like a murderer is coming. They will not do anything. All of a sudden, a tap falls on my cold, hard shoulder.
“Hi Steven, Why are you here so early?” Mary speaks charmingly. No way. It was her. Mary Jennings. In front of my face.
“Oh hi Mary. I’m always here early since my parents have to work early. What are you doing here?” I replied calmly.
“I am just here to spend some more time before I leave. I’m going to miss this place so much.” Mary says with a frown on her face.
“It sucks that you have to move. I’ll miss having you in AP algebra and as a neighbor,” I whisper softly.
Out of nowhere, Mary pulls me in her arms for a hug. The scent of her hair smells like fresh strawberries that have just been picked out of the garden. Her warm body leaned against my chest making my heart burn like a fire. This is perfect. I am satisfy. Moments to treasure. It is more than I could ask for this Christmas.
“I’ve always wanted to be in your arms for just a few moments. This is my one last wish before I leave this place. Hold me a little longer. I know this is shocking but I had always love you the day we met. I will miss you a lot.” Mary cries quietly.
As she wipes her tears, her glazing hazel eyes stare right into my dark brown eyes. A silent of second goes by. The time seems like it had stop. It is just us two standing in the middle of the platform where no one could deny anything. Her cold hands reach for my hot, burning cheeks. Mary then leans in and gives a long kiss on my cheek.
“I’ll always remember you. My spirit will be with you. Always.” she claims silently. When she turns around to leave, the principal walks toward both of us. His face expression shows that we are going be in a huge trouble.
“What do you think you are doing, lady and gentleman?" he inquires us.
“We didn't do anything. She just whisper in my ear about the Secret Santa person that she has for the Secret Santa gift exchange." I instantly reply.
"Is this true young lady?" the principal waited impatiently for an answer.
" I'm sorry, Steven. No sir. I gave him a kiss because it's my last day here and I wanted him to know my love for him." Mary answers as tears run down her face.
"Very well then. Since you lie to me, Steven, you will have a whole month of detention. For Mary, you know the consequences due to breaking the laws about ‘Love’." the principal says as he clears his throat.
“No! Please don’t take her away!” I scream at the principal.
“I’m so sorry, Steven. Don’t worry about me. I love you.” she says at the last minute.
They both walk away to the office while I stand still glued to the ground. My whole mind has stop. I feel so dizzy as if the whole world is spinning in circles. Why did I say that? Mary is now gone forever and that is all my fault. I slowly fall down to the floor and tears come pouring out quietly.
     I couldn't do anything the whole day. Not get a single math problem correct. She wasn't there. I now know what it is like to lose something you like the most. I can't do anything about the situation anymore. Need to look forward and keep on going even though there is a huge hole in my heart that aches so much.