Like A Dove | Teen Ink

Like A Dove

By LaurenW SILVER, Coatesville, Pennsylvania
LaurenW SILVER, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

It feels so empty without you, so come here.

N/A

Chapter 1: Like A Dove

Looking at the white, empty hospital walls around her, and then closing her eyes, she imagined what it would have been like together with him; to have to live with him happily and see him grow old as well as herself. She knew it was impossible, but there was no danger in hoping, was there? 

Even though he hadn't come and seen her in a few days, she still held on to a little slimmer of that thing called "hope." It made her smile, remembering his promise to always be by her side, even if not by body.

She also made a promise never to let go until he came rushing in to see her. After all, she had always been stubborn, and he knew that very well. They were stubborn, the both of them. She knew he was going to be with her soon, and he knew she would be there waiting for him.

Just in time, he came. He rushed to her, faster than a bullet being released from its gun. Gently yet tightly embracing her, relief washed over his being. She was still there, alive and smiling the widest she could. She was hugging him, clearly desperate as he was desperate. 

Minutes later, they sat together on her bed, and while she stared off into the distance through her window, he gazed at her tenderly. The silence was loud, in a way, but they both didn't mind it. Sometimes, they knew, silence spoke more than words ever did.

Finally, she told him she was tired, and began lie down and close her eyes. He wordlessly caressed her warm, pale face and nodded. A small smile of pure pain reflected the look in his eyes. He didn't want her to go yet, but they both knew once she closed her eyes, she would be sleeping forever.

And, so, just like a dove, she flew away gracefully, leaving only a soft, vivid, and brief touch of her memory.

Chapter Notes:

This was fun to write, but, at the same time, it was painful. Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it! 

It was fun to imagine how people felt when something intense draw out their largest emotions.

aubsmcgee BRONZE, Citrus Heights, California

Maybe I don't want Heaven

I like it! Sad, but deep. Keep writing!