Blue Belles: Part 2 | Teen Ink

Blue Belles: Part 2

January 24, 2009
By gogreen118 GOLD, Lynnwood, Washington
gogreen118 GOLD, Lynnwood, Washington
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

For nearly two years, Greg and I were a steady couple. We laughed and loved, always wanting more time together. We would go on group dates with Claire and Matt sometimes, too. Things were bliss, but one night all of our happiness was ruined. After what happened, Greg and I haven’t successfully spoken to each other. I refuse to take his calls, and he calls almost seventeen times a day. The first call was the hardest to bear.

“Hello?” I answered the phone, thinking it was a friend of mine. The second I heard his voice, my eyes welled up in hot, heavy tears.

“Sweetie, you answered the phone! I didn’t think you would. I think we should talk. You don’t understand what happened.” I pulled the phone away from my ear, resisting his sweet, consoling voice. I placed the phone on its cradle, and went upstairs, despite the many messages he left soon after. That night was the first and last night I listened to the messages. His voice calmed me, but then infuriated me. I didn’t know what to do when the only one who could make me feel better when that same person who was the one you couldn’t bear to hear their voice.

Four months, 16 dozen blue belles, and hundreds of phone calls later, I still wasn’t better. Every day at school, he tried to approach me. I dodged him as often as possible, and ignored him every time he caught me. No matter what he did, I couldn’t get over what happened.

I was at the movies with Claire. We were spending some time bonding, trying to overcome our colliding personalities. We sat down in the very back row of the packed theatre, ready to enjoy ourselves. That’s when I saw them. Greg and some girl I recognized from school. He seemed to be enjoying himself as they sat down together. Now, I’m not one of those psycho girlfriends who doesn’t allow their boyfriends to have other girls for friends. But this was too much like cheating to pass for friends. They were holding hands, for heaven’s sake! When the movie was over, I tried to convince myself that he wasn’t cheating on me... I couldn’t take it for another second. I pointed it out to Claire as we walked out and she turned pale. I approached them, my fakest smile plastered to my face. I took the lid off of my coke, and dumped it on his head from behind. He spun around and saw me, instantly dropping the girl’s hand. His eyes filled with heartbreak as I said those last words to him.

“I don’t know what you’re trying to pull, but it’s over. I hope you have fun with you new girlfriend, because I’m not going to date a cheater like you.” I was harsh, but I felt he deserved it.

“Belle? Earth to Belle!” Claire waved her hand in my face. We were sitting in her room. I couldn’t help it. I started crying again. Claire wrapped me in a tight hug, trying to make me feel better. A knock came from her door.

“Come in!” Claire yelled in her sweet, cheerful voice. Matt came in, and Claire scowled. She had been having relationship problems ever since Matt said he was siding with Greg.

“What do you want?” Claire’s voice was cold, and she never spoke to Matt like that. Usually she was gushing, or in this sweet little voice. Never cold, like this.

“I just…um, I need to talk to you. Both of you, actually.” Claire motioned him in, and he sat down in Claire’s desk chair. Claire started tapping her foot, which was hanging off of her bed. I glanced at him, my face tear-stained.

“Well, I actually need to talk to you about Greg.” Claire hopped up from her bed, and opened the door to her room.

“Matt, I hate to do this to you, but I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” Matt remained sitting.

“I’m going to talk, Claire. And you’re going to listen to me. You both need to hear this.” We stared at him expectantly. Claire closed the door and sat back down.

“Okay, get it over with. But one tear from Belle and you can leave. For good.” This was weird, because I was usually the one protecting her. Not the other way around.

“Okay, fair enough. Okay, Greg wasn’t cheating on you, Belle. He’s freaking in love with you.” I just sat there and stared at him. I mean, if it wasn’t cheating, then what was it?

“Matt, save it please. I saw him with her.” I stopped him. Matt shook his head in disbelief. I didn’t understand why he felt the need to lie to me; I was hurt enough as it is. But still, I was intrigued.

“That ‘her’ you’re referring to is the daughter of the guy Greg’s mom is marrying. His mom tried to set them up. You know she doesn’t like you.” My head spun as Matt spoke. I knew his mom hated me, and I knew his mom was getting married. I just didn’t think she hated me that much. Or, was Matt lying to save Greg?

“Why should I believe you?” I raised my eyebrows at Matt, challenging him. Matt grunted. He never could handle intelligent conversation.

“Belle, I don’t really know how to say this, but I think Mattie is telling the truth.” Okay, first of all, she has sided with me up until Matt decided to play the role of the helpful boyfriend. And now she’s back to old pet names like Mattie. What happened to family-first?

“Claire, are you seriously siding with Matt? And if you are, you’re also siding with Greg. And you’re siding against your twin sister.” Claire winced. The past few months, she’s been focusing on strengthening our sisterly bond. This was hitting her soft spot, big time.

“I…um…” Claire was at a loss for words. This infuriated Matt. He hated it when I hit Claire’s weak points because she always gets depressed.

“Claire sweetie, ignore her. She just doesn’t want to believe that Greg loves her and WOULD NEVER CHEAT ON HER.” Claire gave Matt a sideways glance that said, don’t push it.

“You know what, Matt? I’m just having trouble believing you. I love Greg, and I just wish this whole thing never happened.” Matt grinned, for some reason. Claire and I gave him -- what do you know?’ looks.

“Okay, I have a little recording on my cell of Greg. He didn’t even know I was recording him. Please just listen.” Claire and I stared at Matt expectantly. He pulled out his cell, pressing a few buttons and pressing speakerphone. Here’s how the recording went.
Matt- Greg, what are you going to do?
Greg- I don’t know, I wouldn’t be surprised if she hates my guts. I hate my guts right now.
Matt- why? You didn’t do anything!
Greg- But, that’s not the point. I didn’t tell Belle about my mom’s fiancés daughter.
Matt- But, you love Belle, right?
Greg- Have you been listening to me the past four months? I’ve barely slept because every night I dream about that night. Why do I screw everything up with the people that mean the most to me?

The recording clicked off. My jaw dropped, and Claire jumped up and threw her arms around Matt. Matt grinned again, pulling Claire close.

“Do you forgive me, belle?” Greg opened my bedroom door. My jaw dropped wider, and I threw my arms around Greg. He was holding a bouquet of blue belles, and he pulled me close, kissing me over and over again. The blue belles always seemed to bring us closer, no matter what the obstacle. They never cease to help us. They just help us to love each other more.

The author's comments:
I loved Blue Belles so much. It was my first story ever to get published here on teen ink. I had gotten requests from friends to make a part two, and continue Greg and Belle's journey together. I just had to do it, because I've been having writers block, and the second I started writing this, it melted away!