Apology | Teen Ink

Apology

By Rose_Darkwood BRONZE, McLoud, Oklahoma
Rose_Darkwood BRONZE, McLoud, Oklahoma

Avoid popularity if you would have peace. -Abraham Lincoln

“Ted, I can’t forgive you just like that! You cheated on me!” Renae shouted.

“Renae, ple-” Ted started, but was cut off.

“No! We’re done!” Renae yelled before storming off. Ted was left broken and alone. He didn’t cheat on her. She just wasn’t listening to his side of the story. But he felt he needed to at least let her know how he felt.

He called her that night. She didn’t answer.

“Hi, this is Renae. Sorry I can’t get to the phone right now. Please leave a message! Oh, and if this is Ted, I want nothing to do with you.” The beep sounded, and Ted sighed.

“Hey, Renae. I wanted to tell you the truth. I didn’t cheat, but even if I had, I wish I didn’t make you mad. I hurt you a lot, and that hurts me. If you don’t want to forgive me, that’s fine. But I can’t let this relationship go without letting you know how I feel. I love you, Renae. That’s all I can say. And the words that I’m using… I guess it’s a form of a question of forgiveness. Forgive me, please. I never meant any of what I said, and I didn’t want to break your heart. Since you didn’t want to pick up or talk to me, I won’t call anymore. I love you with all of my heart. Forgive me. Goodbye.” Ted hung up after he finished his message. True to his word, he didn’t call back.

Renae was in tears by the end of his message. Ted didn’t cheat, and she believed him then. But to hear him say what he did… she decided to call him.
He picked up instantly.
“Renae?” he asked hopefully.

“I forgive you, Ted.” she smiled.

This was inspired by a challenge my mom found on Twitter. It said to write a paragraph of an apology without using apologize, regret, or sorry. I managed to write it, and added on.

MrsZee said...
Dialog can be tricky to write and you've done a nice job with it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your writing!