The Smile | Teen Ink

The Smile

May 17, 2018
By Daniel1514 SILVER, Roanoke, Virginia
Daniel1514 SILVER, Roanoke, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Nancy woke up to the sound of her alarm clock going off.

"BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!"

She groaned loudly and opened her yes.

The red numbers on her alarm clock read, "7:00 a.m."

Nancy looked out her window and saw the sun coming up. She stopped the alarm quickly and got out of bed. She put in her contacts, which were resting on her nightstand, and walked over to her closet.

She opened the door and thought, "What to wear today?"

Her closet was an army of clothing. Shirts and jeans were hung up neatly to one side of the closet, her dresses were in the middle, her bras, underwear, socks, and shoes were on the other side. 

Nancy picked out a t-shirt that read, "I am Nancy Fuller, and you are not."

She laughed at the shirt.

She picked out a pair of ripped jeans, a pair of socks, and her pink, Converse high tops.

She put on her bra first, then the rest. 

She walked into the bathroom and turned the sink on. She stuck her hair in the water and wetted it down a little, then she dried it off.

After she dried her hair, she brushed her teeth, washed her face, then started to brush her hair.

In the mirror, she saw a skinny 17-year-old girl. Her hair light brown and it was in a bob cut. Her fingernails were red and yellow, her favorite colors, and her eyes were light brown. She had gotten her braces off 3 months before. It was May 2, 2018.

She wasn’t what the boys considered smoking, but she thought she looked better than some girls.

She went out of the bathroom and headed downstairs.

Her grandma hadn't got up yet.

She poured herself a bowl of CT Crunch and it in 3 minutes.

That was a new record.

She and her grandma lived in the same house together. Her mom and dad left her when she was little, and her grandma decided to take care of her.

Though, her grandma didn’t do much for her, only the dishes and the trash. She was pretty sure her parents payed her grandma to take care of her.

She put the cereal bowl in the dishwasher and looked at the clock. It read, "7:23 a.m."

Time to get moving. School started at 8:10 a.m.

She got her bookbag and headed out the door.

Her school was just down the block from where she lived.

So was the beach.

She got to William Mary High School in 10 minutes.

Nancy walked inside the school and into the gymnasium.

She was the 3rd person in the gymnasium.

She sat down on top of the bleachers and waited for the gymnasium to fill up. Nancy didn’t have many friends. She as what the snobby kids called "weird." She didn’t think of herself as weird, only unique. Plus, normal was boring, right?

She had always dreamed of getting a boyfriend, but she knew she'd never get one. "It's 1 and a million chances." She thought.

The school gymnasium filled up quickly, and before Nancy knew it, it was 8:00 a.m.

The teachers let the students out and Nancy headed to her locker.

Once Nancy got to her locker, she unpacked her bookbag, took out her laptop and binder, and headed off to class. She walked out into the hallway and, "WHAM!" Someone knocked into her and her binder and laptop went everywhere.

"Sorry." She muttered.

She looked up and saw the hottest boy she had ever seen.

His light brown hair was down to his shoulders, but it was swept back neatly. His eyes were an ocean of dark blue, his was around 6'2 (while Nancy was 5'11), and his smile was gorgeous. A set of perfect, white teeth.

He was smiling.

"I'm sorry, let me help you pick those up." He said, his voice was deeper, and it had a hint of a southern accent.

He walked over to her binder and laptop and picked them up for her. She could see muscles bulge underneath his shirt.

"Here you go." He said.

"Oh, and my name is Dallas Goodman." He said quickly.

"Thanks for helping." Nancy said, nervously, "I'm Nancy Fuller."

"Always welcome." He said, then, the bell rang. 

"Oh no, I'm going to be late to class." She said.

"Oh, um, by the way, I'm new here and I don’t know where my classes are." He said, shyly.

"I have English 11 first." She said.

"Same." He said, "Can I just follow you?" He asked.

"Sure." Nancy said.

"Thanks." He said, then, Dallas smiled again.

Nancy walked down the hallway and Dallas followed her. She could hear is big, Nike shoes behind her.

They got to English 11, and Nancy knocked on the door. One of the students opened it and they both walked in.

"Your both late." Mr. Drew warned.

"Okay." Nancy and Dallas said at the same time.

Nancy smiled.

"I think I've fallen in love already." Nancy thought.

Nancy sat in the back, right next to Dallas.

For the rest of the class, all they did was whisper to each other.

It turns out that Nancy and Dallas had every single class together, even lunch.

In History, Dallas would pass notes with funny jokes on them and Nancy would laugh aloud. 

"What's so funny?" Mrs. Darwin asked.

"Nothing." Nancy said, quickly. Her face was getting red.

"It's my fault Mrs. Darwin. It's not her fault." Dallas said quickly.

"Then I expect to see you after class." Mrs. Drew said sharply.

Nancy mouthed a thank you to Dallas.

He smiled and gave her a thumb up.

After History was over, Dallas met Nancy in the hallway. She had waited for him.

"Thanks." He said.

"That's what new friends are for." Nancy said.

Dallas looked at her and smiled greatly.

"Nice t-shirt." He said, then started to laugh.

"I think you're jealous that you don’t have one like it." Nancy said, flirting with him.

"Am I?" Dallas asked, and he raised an eyebrow. Nancy laughed aloud again.

"How're you so good at making people laugh and smile?" Nancy asked, as they walked to Pre-Calculus. 

Dallas lowered his voice and stuck out his teeth and said, "I guess it's just a natural born talent."

That made Nancy laugh even harder.

I guess you could say that Nancy was falling in love with Dallas the way you fall asleep.

After Pre-Calculus, they headed to lunch.

"Amazing how your life can change in an instant." Nancy thought while she looked at Dallas. He was smiling again.

Nancy sat down at her lunch table, she sat at the far end, alone.

"Can I sit with you?" Dallas asked.

Nancy had been waiting for him to say that. "Sure." She said.

He sat down next to her and pulled out a granola bar.

Nancy had forgotten to bring her lunch, but she didn’t want to tell Dallas.

Then, suddenly, Dallas got up and went to the lunch line.

A few minutes later, Dallas came back with a bag of Doritos and a bottle of water.

He handed them to her.

"What's this?" Nancy asked.

"I guess you forgot your lunch, so, I got you something." He said.

"Oh my God! Thank you!" Nancy exclaimed. 

"Always welcome." He said.

"You didn’t have to do this." Nancy said, as she opened the bag of Doritos.

"Well, that’s what new friends do." Dallas said, then, he smiled.

Nancy smiled back.

After lunch, Nancy and Dallas headed to Art 11, the last block of the day.

All they did in Art was draw pictures of each other.

Nancy drew a picture of Dallas with a mustache and Dallas drew a picture of Nancy with a beard.

"Nice picture." Nancy said.

"Thank you mlady." Dallas said, then he bowed.

"Get ahold of yourself doofus." Nancy said.

"Sorry," He said, "I get wild around beautiful girls."

That made Nancy blush.

Then, the bell rang, and school was over.

"This day sure, went by fast." Dallas said, as he walked to his locker.

"Sure did." Nancy said, "And I think I have a best friend now."

"Really? Who is it?" Dallas asked, but his smile gave it away that he was joking.

After Nancy packed her bookbag, she started over to see Dallas, but he had beat her to it.

"Hey, um..." He started.

"Yeah." Nancy said, curious.

"I was wondering if you wanted to head to the beach this afternoon, just to, you know, hang out." Dallas said, he was nervous and sweaty.

"You're asking me on a date, aren't you?" Nancy asked.

Dallas looked down and smiled. "Yeah." He said.

"I thought you'd never ask." Nancy said.

Nancy walked home and quickly got on her bathing suit. Dallas aid that they would meet at the entrance to the beach right after school.

"Well, you sure are in a hurry." Her grandma said.

"Sure am." Nancy said, then she walked out her door.

Nancy hurried to the entrance to the beach, and Dallas was standing there. He had a beach bag with him.

"I got sunscreen and everything." He said.

"You're definitely prepared for a date." Nancy said.

Dallas smiled.

They found a good spot on the beach and relaxed there all evening.

They got into the ocean and played a few games of catch.

Dallas started a splashing fight, which lasted for an hour.

When it turned 5:00 p.m., they decided to have lunch. Dallas had packed sandwiches and chips.

They had lunch until 6:30 p.m., and that’s when the sun started to set.

"Want to watch the sun set?" Nancy asked.

"Sure." Dallas said.

The sun set was a portrait of orange and red. The clouds hovered over like cotton candy, and the sound of the ocean made it better.

"That sure is beautiful." Dallas said. 

"Sure is." Nancy said, then, she rested her head on his shoulder. Dallas did the same.

"I think I'm in love with you." He said.

"I think I am too." Nancy said, then, everything went black.

 

"BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!"

Nancy woke up.

It was all a dream.

Her clock read 7:00 a.m., but Nancy didn’t care.

She curled up into a ball and cried her eyes out. The dream and been so real, yet, it was just a fantasy.

A few minutes later, Nancy got ready and headed off the school like usual.

Once the gymnasium let out, Nancy went to her locker, extremely depressed.

She unpacked her stuff and went out in the hallway to face her miserable life, but then, someone knocked into her.

"I'm sor-" Nancy, but that’s all she could get out.

Standing in front of her was Dallas Goodman.

It wasn’t just a dream, it was a vision.

Nancy smiled...

 

 

and he smiled back


The author's comments:

I'm not sure. It was a spur of the moment.