Hurricans | Teen Ink

Hurricans

By CompoundArcher GOLD, Broomfield, Colorado
CompoundArcher GOLD, Broomfield, Colorado

"I Have Not Failed. I've Just Found 10, 000 Ways That Something Won't Work." Thomas Edison

"Surely this world-so beautifully diversified in its forms and motions-could not have arisen except from the perfectly free will of God, who provides and governs all things." Roger Cotes

"Don't doubt the Creator, because it is inconceivable that accidents alone could be the controller of this universe.'' Isaac Newton

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

Hurricanes are a wondrous thing. We know a lot about them, but where do they come from?

Valentina was a little over twelve, which was normal marriage age. She was to marry Pablo, a young man only three years her senior, but he was a very controlling person, perfectly spoiled in fact.

When her father told her of this, she was very angry. She wanted to live a life free of any man. Especially Pablo. That night she ran away running and running until her legs could bear no more. She lay down and quickly passed out of exhaustion. She did not know where she was neither did she care for that matter. All she knew was that she needed to stay as far away from that wretched place. The place she once called home.

The wind blew fiercely that morning and Valentina was abruptly awoken. She got up and continued her trek not caring to even look back at her home.

Hungry, cold and wet, she still pushed on. From the break of dawn to the setting of a rosy sun, she ran. Over and over again she would go until her body could handle it no longer.

One day she collapsed right in the heart of the jungle. She couldn’t get up. Every muscle in her body contracted making her fall to the ground groaning in pain.

A loud thunder startled her crippled feature. Seeing flashes of lightning she accepted her fate.

Everything went dark. Valentina couldn’t see a thing in front of her very own nose. She took a moment to remember what her home looked like. She thought of how horrible her father must have felt after she ran away, but her sweet thoughts quickly turned into raging anger. A booming voice interrupted her trance.

“Valentina Isabel Hurricane, you are now under the hand of Anemoi. You shall work for him all the days of your life learning how to create storms to destroy,”

That doesn’t sound so bad, Valentina thought.

What she didn’t know was that this was all a trap. Anemoi was afraid that a boy in Valentina’s village would rise up and overrule him. His name was Pablo.

When she heard of this news, she got right to work. Anemoi used her anger to his advantage.

Weeks on end, she learned how to create powerful storms. One day she created a water cyclone. Unlike the ones Anemoi called Tornados, these cyclones produced everything that a Tornado possed and more. This storm produced rains, winds, and a strong suction that would pick up anything it chooses.

Anemoi was impressed with this girl’s powers and allowed her to name the deadly storm. But only after she used it on her family.

Valentina did not hesitate one bit and was soon working on the most powerful storm she had ever created.

She sent it swirling to her village. She was a cold-hearted person now, not caring one bit if even the small children in the village died.

Destruction was upon the small village. No one knew what had hit them. All of the population was dead within seconds, all the animals wiped out, the vegetation obliterated.  

Valentina’s work was done. She named the storm hurricane after herself.

Time stopped. Valentina killed her entire village because of anger. This was one thing she couldn’t live with.

Matthew 5:21-22

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[a] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[b] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[c] of fire.